Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Washing, Waxing and Interior Cleaning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I've been doing a lot of reading about how to wash my new Model S and I think I'm comfortable with my current choice. Two bucket method, Optimum No Rinse Solution and a CG Microfiber Mitt. I've owned the car for a month and washed it once, the interior has been cleaned with microfiber towels and plain water. I'm wondering at this point if I should add a protective coat of wax and whether anyone can recommend anything to clean the seats, the dash and MCU.

Hi, I've been doing a lot of reading about how to wash my new Model S and I think I'm comfortable with my current choice. Two bucket method, Optimum No Rinse Solution and a CG Microfiber Mitt. I've owned the car for a month and washed it once, the interior has been cleaned with microfiber towels and plain water. I'm wondering at this point if I should add a protective coat of wax and whether anyone can recommend anything to clean the seats, the dash and MCU.
Baby wipes for the seats

Buy some opti-seal or the newer improved version called hyper-seal. You can use it after washing with the ONR and drying, or, as I just learned recently (and love), you can use the opti/hyper seal product as a drying aid in between the washing and drying part of the process. Man, it works great and is so easy. I have Optimum spray wax too - and it's very good - but I prefer the sealant for better protection and shine.

BlueRidgesky, you mean you mix opeti seal with water or put on opti seal while the car is still wet? Thanks[/QUOT

I don't mix it with water. Just one spray directly on the panel you just wiped with ONR, and then wipe the panel (and opti seal) with your drying towel. Works great. So much easier to apply Opti seal that way too. I have been using hyper seal, which they say is even better than Opti seal and has more "resin" in it.

BRsky, Thanks for the reply. We just completed a 3.7k mile trip through the SW. Front end plastered with bugs and baked by high temperatures. Neither iso propel all, water or MGuires cleaner wants to take them off. I had waxed and sealed, Opti, before the trip.

Bug traces just do not want to come off. Front is pretty shinny though, splashes and on depending on light.

I too am curious to see how people clean off dirt and bugs without a high powered spray at least. We have had construction all summer and it rained for the first time in 6+ months this week. All of the dirt and red clay that was stuck underside of the car is now oozing out of the wheel wells to the side panels and the rear of my white car.

I am thinking a commercial car wash with underbody spray is the only thing that will get the car clean

So two suggestions. For skip, order some opti gloss- coat, and watch YouTube on how to apply. Its a little more advanced, but you will get the hang of it. It is a ceramic coating that regular consumers buy. Then you use the onr and optiseal as maintenance. You will love the results of the opti gloss-coat.

Jboy, I live in red clay land....awful stuff. Electric pressure washers are pretty cheap now, so I would recommend one of them first of all. If the red clay is on your car and has stained it, you need something like opti ferrex. Ferrex and similar products by other companies remove the iron from the car, which is what makes red clay red.

Reactions: jboy210