Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Windshield is extra fragile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 4 months of ownership on my Model S, I've had 3 cracks on my windshield. Is the Model S windshield just simply more fragile? Has anyone added some type of windshield protection to reduce cracks and make the windshield stronger? Did it effect the cameras?

Any info will be appreciated. Thank you

• Disagree
Reactions: jlv1
If the cracks appear in the same general place each time, then this would be more evidence of what rsg123 suggests.

Could be a manufacturing defect or accident damage that twisted the window frame at some point. Any misalignment of doors or dash?
If it happens again, maybe ask the installer if they notice any alignment issues.

Other possibilities might be poor installation of the replacements or a non-Tesla glass used.

Less likely...
Do you live near a rock quarry, have vandals in your area, or a nearby window repair shop that's struggling for business?

After 4 months of ownership on my Model S, I've had 3 cracks on my windshield. Is the Model S windshield just simply more fragile? Has anyone added some type of windshield protection to reduce cracks and make the windshield stronger? Did it effect the cameras?

Any info will be appreciated. Thank you
Four years for me and I’ve got more rock chips than I can remember. This thing is a rock magnet. Some of the hits have been so hard I thought the window would explode. Instead, not a single crack, just little marks. My previous ICE had two windows replaced in less than two years before they finally got a good one. FYI, my Tesla is only used on the highway, the Leaf is my in town car.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I have a similar experience. I've had my S for a little over a year now and don't have any cracks but have several (5-6) pits and many abrasions from rock hits. A couple large and others very small. I think it's a combination of the glass being a bit softer as well as the fact that the S sits quite low, making the windshield susceptible to rock hits. Fortunately, I have Expel Ultimate on the front/hood so that's helped protect my paint.

I have experienced lots of rock hits in 70K miles and in general think the windshield is at least of average strength, probably helped by the aerodynamic angle creating a better chance of glancing blows. The one place where the design IS weak is around the edges. With no protection there, if a hit occurs it will often cause an instant crack which cannot be repaired -- replacement is the only option.

In April I had a rock hit my windshield which caused a bullseye. It was repaired and has not spread at all.
My commute is on a heavy trucking route and is primarily a 2 lane highway. I have noticed that because Autopilot places the car exactly in the center of the lane, much further left than most people would drive on their own, my driver’s side mirror has received several paint chips from debris coming from oncoming trucks. I can see how the windshield might be more affected like this as well.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
My windshield guy said rock hits at the edges where its backed by metal frame are the worst and usually start cracks immediately... because there is no absorption of the hit, no give, no flex, which is what allows the same hit in the middle of the glass to survive because the glass actually wobbles when hit there.. under high speed cams you can see it.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Mine cracked on the drive away from the store the day I picked it up. Car had less than 15 miles on it!!

This was probably a case of stress fracture of the windshield itself, or due to its factory install.

Did you get it replaced by Tesla? I know the warranty says glass is not included... but did you make a case of "defect from factory" and really press it?

This was probably a case of stress fracture of the windshield itself, or due to its factory install.

Did you get it replaced by Tesla? I know the warranty says glass is not included... but did you make a case of "defect from factory" and really press it?
No, I didn't. Ate the cost. I was in a rush to get the car back for a long road trip to a wedding. I think that's all I was focused on. Also FWIW I saw/heard the rock hit the windshield. One of those damn dump truck things that are on the highway all the time in Nashville.

I have terrible luck with rocks. Just lucky I guess. It doesn't help when the road maintenance crews spray gravel along with the sand on all of the roads all winter. I have one crack now but it is vertical on the passenger side so it can stay like that for a while. I refuse to get a new windshield every year and typically as soon as I change a windshield it gets a new one.

To answer the OP's question though knowing Tesla I wouldn't be surprised if half a dozen different construction windshields have been used on the model S over the past 6 years, so people comparing their experiences would have little meaning unless we knew if they were identical or not.

Everything I have read suggests there is nothing you can do on a windshield: PPF will scratch up from the wipers and reduce your visibility, and ceramic coating will not stop a chip, and some have reported wiper chattering after trying it.

To answer the OP's question though knowing Tesla I wouldn't be surprised if half a dozen different construction windshields have been used on the model S over the past 6 years, so people comparing their experiences would have little meaning unless we knew if they were identical or not.

That is certainly the case, I had a cracked windscreen on my 2018 S earlier this year and the replacement screen was a revision higher than than the original. (confirmed by Tesla).