Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S with UHFS-Subwoofer upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reviewing other posters, I decided the most economical and efficient way to upgrade the Subwoofer in my Model S with Ultra high fidelity was to swap the o.e.m speaker for the Soundqubed HCS 8 inch(DVC-650WRMS rated). The total price for the Amplifier, LC2i , wiring , and Subwoofer was under $250.00. The o.e.m enclosure has enough space, and it is nice to to be able to keep it secured using factory bolt locations, and hidden carpet. Below are some tips I learned. The cubby allows you to keep in conditioned space, I attached the amp etc.. to hdf I installed under the carpet.
1).Fire ampinstall.jpg wall for panoroof location to drill is as previously stated right next to existing drain, metal is thin to be cautious- it does not take much to go through aluminum.
2). Mount the amp and LC2i in the trunk cubby. This saves the time of ripping out the dash etc. to access the low level inputs, by mounting in the trunk, all you are running is two wires through firewall to rear, power for the amplifier, and power for the LC2i
3). There is a grounding bolt on the passenger side for the power lift gate module, so no need to hunt for a ground point.
4). Use the subwoofer wiring at the sub itself for the low level input to the LC2i, simple- ready to use.

All and all, this is a cheap and fairly easy diy upgrade to existing uhfs... incredible in the difference in low level hz. signal.

ampinstall.jpg
groundpassenger.jpg

Did you ever look into upgrading your OEM UHFS subwoofer without adding an amp? ...or did you just add another amp to the OEM subwoofer system. Which did you do? I really don't want to give up storage space in my lower trunk space for an additional amp. Rockford Fosgate make a dual 2 OHM 150 watt RMS sub. The dual 2 OHMs can be wired in parallel to bring it down to 1 OHM. That isn't the problem. It's the 150 watt RMS of the Rockford Fosgate sub being driven by an 80 wall amp channel. I would be afraid that the 80 watt channel would be working hard all the time and generating a lot of heat and maybe damaging the OEM system. Any thoughts?