Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S won't charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of this morning, my 85D model S won't charge. I've tried few charging stations including supercharging and it just won't charge. The plug-in light show like it is charging (green), and the screen is showing the the Amp is '0' and the mi/hr is '0' also. I've called Tesla and they instructed me to drive to their closest location. Does anybody might know what's wrong with my car?

Let us know what your SvC says. I just read a thread with a guy having issues trying to supercharge (getting 0 Amps) and green charge ring. His situation occurred when he was down to 8 mile of charge. Here's his thread: HELP: Stuck at a supercharger and the car won't charge It was posted under the X forum but from his signature line he could have been in a month-old MS 75D.

Last edited:
I found when you are low on battery and perhaps it's a little chilly that the car would stay at 0 amp for a long while. For me it was 30 minutes before it decided to start charging. I did a post about it with pictures a while back. No idea how to find that post now.

Couple of clarifications: When I identify the issue, I've tried to switch to a different charging station at my office and then drove to a Tesla Supercharger station. In both the Amp was '0' and the mi/hr charging was '0' as well. In the Supercharging station I kept the car plug-in for almost an hour, with no progress whatsoever. I live in south California, so I doubt if the issue caused by the weather conditions. I had abut 55 miles left in my battery in my first attempt to recharge.
As mentioned, I called the Tesla road assistance and they asked me to drive over immediately to the closest Tesla service location. The kept the car over night, they succeed to recharge it. During their logs analysis they found my multiple attempts to recharge yesterday. They call me few min ago and said that they involve the Engineering team to analyze the logs further. I'll keep you all posted...

Whitex, you read my mind, that's exactly what I was thinking. Taking into consideration my limited understanding in how Tesla design the charging system and the battery protection mechanism it make sense that the temp sensor might be the cause for this failure.

An update to you all on this matter - I got a phone call from Tesla saying that the Engineering team decided that the fault is with the main battery. Not surprising. They did said however, that it will take them a while to find a brand new set of batteries that fits my car, no ETA as of today. They gave me a loner Tesla in the meanwhile.

Yes, I specifically asked that question and they said that they can't locate a loaner pack for my car and they are now in process to get a new one. Only god knows how long it will take.... I miss my autopilot already :-(

"Loaner pack" means they loan you a battery while they fix your original battery. It took them 3-4 days to get another battery - apparently a new 85 kWh manufactured just a month or so ago - and they took my battery out and stuck this new battery in my car. Then they sent my battery back to Fremont to "fix" it. When they get it back they will call me and swap out the "loaner" battery pack I have now with my "repaired" original battery. They said they need the car for a day to do this. I have no idea when this will happen.

I don't know why they told you they can't use a loaner battery pack in your car. Seems odd.

2016 Model S won't charge. Went from over 100 miles last night to 0 this morning. Scheduled an appointment through the app with Tesla Fort Lauderdale for March 8th. Meanwhile I have no car. Has anybody had this happen to them? If so, what was it?

2016 Model S won't charge. Went from over 100 miles last night to 0 this morning. Scheduled an appointment through the app with Tesla Fort Lauderdale for March 8th. Meanwhile I have no car. Has anybody had this happen to them? If so, what was it?

If the vehicle is disabled and not drivable you can call roadside assistance. They will troubleshoot with you and schedule a tow, probably before the scheduled appointment.

These kinds of problems expose a void in Tesla's service process. The car isn't on a roadway and therefore must be towed immediately due to safety and traffic issues, yet this isn't a problem that is minor. I had the same thing happen to me with a failed 12V in a Model 3. It failed in my garage overnight one night. I scheduled a service appointment through the app, but the date was 2 weeks out and when I chatted with them, they had no answer for how I was supposed to get the car to the service center. Roadside assistance was reluctant to send a tow truck because it wasn't a safety/traffic issue. I asked them what the proper procedure should be, and they had no answer either. They ended up towing it the next day, confirming to me when they towed it that indeed the 12V had failed. The service center called me after roadside arrived with my car and asked my why my car was at the service center. :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: Cape Coddess