Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S World's Quickest EV + Model S vs Viper SRT10 Drag Race

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else think we should form a dedicated racing thread? I suspect we are going to start to see a ton of these videos now that the cars are out in the real world.

I'll leave it to the mods to decide whether they want a single thread, or a new thread created for each new beatdow... errr.. video. Suggested name would just be Model S Racing Thread, and maybe with a wiki at the beginning to compile videos and best recorded times.

There are 3 drag videos that I'm aware of, M5, E63 AMG and Viper, plus REFUEL videos, so we already have content to put up instead of just speculation about performance.

They said 0-60 time in 3.9 seconds. That's a true 0-60 time right? Not the Motor Trend 1 foot rollout.

Probably with the rollout. Nothing wrong with that if you know what it is. It's the traditional measure, and until the invention of VBox's it was very difficult to measure without it. My concern is when folks compare times with rollout to without. And there are new issues with the instant throttle response of EV's.

I think the advent of electric cars will require measurements to change to capture the moment the throttle is applied, if you are going to compare against ICE. The NHRA needs to publish new standards on that and on weather adjustments to account for high performance EV's.

Last edited:

I was wondering why the camera was facing backwards...and then I realized it was because the dude knew he was going to leave the viper in his dust ;)

I'm eager to hear/see what they can do with a P85 fully charged (max range) with 19" wheels (that are lighter than the 21" wheels!). May not best the 0-60 in 3.9 but may help shave a little of the 1/4 mile!

I was wondering why the camera was facing backwards...and then I realized it was because the dude knew he was going to leave the viper in his dust ;)

I'm eager to hear/see what they can do with a P85 fully charged (max range) with 19" wheels (that are lighter than the 21" wheels!). May not best the 0-60 in 3.9 but may help shave a little of the 1/4 mile!

Or a P85 with back seat ripped out, all carbon fiber wheels, perhaps a more performane oriented spoiler etc. etc.

I chuckled when I saw the Viper buck during a gear change, @0'57". While the Model S was acting like a steady-cam....

same here lol it rocked back like a boat
qpbqw.png

It's funny how personal they take these 1/4 mile drag race videos. Like it's an attack of everything they know.
From a certain point of view, it is (an attack on everything they know).

If you're a (relatively young but) expert mechanic in the ways of ICE, you might be a little troubled by the EV future as "a whole new thing to learn". Enthusiasts may be feeling similarly.