Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X as a taxi or fleet vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking into the rear suspension for camber reasons and thus have had a very good look at the suspension as a whole.

I'm speculating here but I think the design team at Tesla was running a bit scared. I think they knew they had one bite at the apple and did not want to have any mechanical or reliability issues. Everything under the car is just a little bigger or thicker than it needs to be. It reminds me of that older MB E Class that became the defacto standard for European taxis. I would not be surprised if Model S goes for hundreds of thousands of miles without significant mechanical repair.

Let me give you my actual Real life analysis… No speculation.

Note:- I own my limousine company (3 Lincoln Towncars)
We service around 100 mile radius from the airport.

Been in business 10 yrs. Average towncar gets 17 mpg.. fills up at 17.5 gallon gas tank = (17*17.5)= 290 miles. We usually use 1 tank a day/ car. At $3.75/g for 3 cars i pay =
($3.75/g*17.5g tank) * 3 cars = $196.8/day in gas. That’s alot for my small business .
Let me make it easier 1 towncar.. 17.5g * $3.75 = $65.4/day for 6 day/week we run = 65*6= $390. That comes to (390*4 weeks) = $1560 / month or $18,000/ year.

I just replaced one towncar this February with my brand new Model S. Electrician just finished redoing the high power sockets for faster charging @ our office. I calculate that my Model S will
Pay for it self in around FOUR YEARS.!!!

The Towncar I replaced was consuming $18,000 gas per year ( $18,000 * 4 yrs) = $ 72,000
Tune-up & Maintenance was $2,500/yr * 4 = $10,000 ( these r commercial vehicles kept in excellent conditions) new tires every yr, spark plugs oil change etc.. That’s $82,000 in 4 yrs.

You can’t believe if I tell you that customers actually drive me to the airport…. & pay me for the fare.(just so they can test- drive a Tesla). I’m planning to replace another towncar by years end.By the way Im having a business BOOM because of it.

Putting the $20,000 2013 Nissan LEAF into Perspective in Terms of Payback Period

COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is this airport? I want a ride!
TAXIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

I was looking at whom Tesla hiring and come across this company, they claim they got fleet of Tesla Sedans and are hiring drivers now...

The company.

They have Model X in their fleet already! :)

San Francisco Limousine Service_Quicksilver Town Car Service in San Francisco_Car Service

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362578869.719111.jpg

I made all the Tesla pages on our site myself except the mobile device pages. The designer went and got his own pics and I never noticed.
Just put the Tesla pages up a couple of days ago. Hate using file photos and will try to make new ones.
We had a video shoot last Sunday night on the Golden Gate Bridge (just got the car last Thursday). Here is a still shot inside the new tunnel on Doyle Drive from the shoot. Still working on the video clips.

Small Tunnel.jpg

Last edited:
congratulations!

Am really curious to know about your experiences, and how well or bad the car behaves with your kind of mileages a day and a year!
Curious how it will age!

surely curious to see your pics & videos!!!!!

I'm looking into the rear suspension for camber reasons and thus have had a very good look at the suspension as a whole.

I'm speculating here but I think the design team at Tesla was running a bit scared. I think they knew they had one bite at the apple and did not want to have any mechanical or reliability issues. Everything under the car is just a little bigger or thicker than it needs to be. It reminds me of that older MB E Class that became the defacto standard for European taxis. I would not be surprised if Model S goes for hundreds of thousands of miles without significant mechanical repair.

I think I would like to put softer shocks on my Model S that I use in my limousine business. Not sure where to start. Do you know anything about how to change the harshness of the ride?

I think I would like to put softer shocks on my Model S that I use in my limousine business. Not sure where to start. Do you know anything about how to change the harshness of the ride?

Of what I understood reading here, putting the ridehight higher with airsuspension, gives a softer ride!

Maybe contact tesla to ask for this possibility to do also at higher speeds! It should be easy to do with a softwareupdate!
Now above certain speeds the suspension drops automaticly!

Yow. It looks like the Model S is a clear winner for limousine companies. The standard limousine cars are serious gas guzzlers. And Model is a big, spacious land boat, so it makes a good limo.

Regarding the question about shocks, the air suspension means that you should be able to soften the ride through software. Try setting the air suspension higher. Also, call Tesla. They may be willing to program in a "limo soft" mode for future software versions. :)

Of what I understood reading here, putting the ridehight higher with airsuspension, gives a softer ride!

Maybe contact tesla to ask for this possibility to do also at higher speeds! It should be easy to do with a softwareupdate!
Now above certain speeds the suspension drops automaticly!

Tesla does not seem to want to tackle the issue or provide model/part #s load/dampening factors. Am on my own here.

Looks like it is more profitable. LEAF

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/little_juice_coupe_IYkJ6TgG7eLyGShn21AoGI

Thind said he makes $250 a day, about $25 less than with his old car, because he has to turn down certain fares when he thinks he won’t be able to make the trip — but the flashy ride does bring in double the tips.
On the flip side, he doesn’t pay any maintenance costs on the car and spends only about $11 a day on electricity, including roughly $4 a night to charge his car — as opposed to about $50 in gas.