Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
350E8380-9651-455E-A1B6-B4D0B8C4C685.jpeg So I got the new car and it is awesome!!!!
So I did a test for browser and this is what I got. See pic.
How can I tell if I got new MCU

Confirmed w SC I will have the old MCU. New MCU applies to vehicles built three weeks ago from today and forward, as was previously speculated in this thread.

So, I missed it by a hair. On the bright side, scratch is fixed and i can pick up my car tomorrow. Very likely I will care a lot less about the MCU 24 hrs from now.

Was 3 weeks ago from today an exact date / quote from SC ? Or are you just saying roughly 3 weeks ago from your own observations. Thanks! My prod was 2/22 and starting to obsess to the very day lol

They wouldn't need to buy any more, the can just remanufacture existing ones to keep cars going. But they could always change their mind in the future and create a retrofit kit.

I think this is the most likely outcome, with the additional wrinkle that new features will stop finding their way into older cars, because the older CPUs can't keep up. I'm worried about voice recognition, dashcam functionality, all around camera view, and maps in particular. Newer cars will keep improving, but older ones will not. This has been the way of software since time immemorial.

Reactions: Guy V and viper2ko
As someone about to take delivery of a slower MCU, is it all that unbearable? I noticed browser was slow and nav was slow, but I never use those. Everything else seemed ok.

The MCU on my X was definitely bearable--until I bought my Model 3. Now it's like someone took my laptop and replaced it with one five years older. Ignorance is bliss ;-).

In the long term, you just won't get any cool new features, like dashcam, better voice recognition, etc.

Last edited:
The MCU on my X was definitely bearable--until I bought my Model 3. Now it's someone took my laptop and replaced it with one five years older. Ignorance is bliss ;-).

In the long term, you just won't get any cool new features, like dashcam, better voice recognition, etc.
very good points!

I'm so disappointed that my MX75D missed the change over by days. so disappointed. :(

I guess I'm in the minority here. With all the talk of an "imminent interior refresh," I asked my wife right before we placed our order if we would be upset if the car was redesigned two weeks after we bought. Both of us agreed that we loved the car as-is and wanted it now. So I was off by one week on the timing, but couldn't be more excited to pick her up tomorrow. I actually can't wait to give back the (still super awesome, just not mine) Model X 100D loaner they gave me.

On the bright side, I can now lay claim to one of the SUPER RARE Model S's with the lighted vanity and the old MCU. So TAKE THAT, KARMA!

I guess I'm in the minority here. With all the talk of an "imminent interior refresh," I asked my wife right before we placed our order if we would be upset if the car was redesigned two weeks after we bought. Both of us agreed that we loved the car as-is and wanted it now. So I was off by one week on the timing, but couldn't be more excited to pick her up tomorrow. I actually can't wait to give back the (still super awesome, just not mine) Model X 100D loaner they gave me.

On the bright side, I can now lay claim to one of the SUPER RARE Model S's with the lighted vanity and the old MCU. So TAKE THAT, KARMA!

UNICORN ;)

Yeah, here's the screenshot from the video mentioning "phone key":
View attachment 286632

I don't think he meant that it has phone key enabled already but that it might be coming.

This means nothing. This is just the descriptive text app developers have to provide when asking for phone permissions. They need location for summon as it sends the lat/long over the internet to Tesla's servers during summon to make sure you're near the car.

This means nothing. This is just the descriptive text app developers have to provide when asking for phone permissions. They need location for summon as it sends the lat/long over the internet to Tesla's servers during summon to make sure you're near the car.
Has it always mentioned phone key? I've never seen mention of phone key but I'm using Android.