Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That said, I probably wouldn't upgrade the MCU for a faster (crappy) browser.

But once Tesla starts to really take advantage of the Intel platform and add new features and apps not available on the Tegra units, then it becomes a much easier decision.

The CID code for AP1, AP2 and AP2.5 is identifcal is just the bits they choose to run, I

What about non-AP cars?

Unless it also means you lose $3,750 on the tax credit. Now you're talking $6,250. That's the decision I'm facing, delivery on 3/20.

Tesla hasn't yet announced they've sold 200,000 cars in the US, so the full $7500 tax credit is still good through cars delivered through at least 6/30/2018.

Last edited:
If they promised the features to existing owners, doesn't that mean that they at the very least have to offer some sort of path to upgrade the mcu?

I don't think Tesla corporate has really made any promises of future software features other than EAP and FSD. Everything else are Elon Musk tweets, which as we know aren't real promises and don't always come true.

If they promised the features to existing owners, doesn't that mean that they at the very least have to offer some sort of path to upgrade the mcu?

No promised features are dependent on a new MCU that I'm aware of the New maps and stuff all runs on the old MCU just fine as @verygreen showed, the IC is fully capable of rendering what the APE wants, they only thing they really need to upgrade for FSD is the APE, the MCU / IC are really not a factor for features they promised at all.

Those dates are not always accurate:

I assume possible delay from factory to DS? As I called my DS that tuesday and he looked and my car was not in production yet. Then Wednesday he informed me it just went into production. He was even able to tell me then that Friday where it was in production (In Paint).

My timeline is a little longer than the one you quoted. Finishing Production 3/6 and delivery 3/10 is not very practical. Where as mine finished 3/3 and has been in transit ever since

I assume possible delay from factory to DS? As I called my DS that tuesday and he looked and my car was not in production yet. Then Wednesday he informed me it just went into production. He was even able to tell me then that Friday where it was in production (In Paint).

My timeline is a little longer than the one you quoted. Finishing Production 3/6 and delivery 3/10 is not very practical. Where as mine finished 3/3 and has been in transit ever since
4 days of in transit from CA to Wa is very accurate. Look at the order tracking website. I talked to my DS and they said prod was starting 3/5 but yet my car was built in Feb per the door sticker.

I think youll get the full 7500. When was your car produced

Finished on 2/28. But I'm talking about refusing delivery and reordering so I get the new MCU.

Sure, if you think Tesla hits 200k deliveries locally this quarter, or is the a CT rebate your speaking to? Remember even when they hit 200k you still get 3 more months of 100% rebate.

It's saying June deliveries right now. If they hit 200k by 3/31, then 6/30 is the last day to get the full credit. That's cutting it close imo.

Finished on 2/28. But I'm talking about refusing delivery and reordering so I get the new MCU.

It's saying June deliveries right now. If they hit 200k by 3/31, then 6/30 is the last day to get the full credit. That's cutting it close imo.

I think they will purposely not hit the 3/31 date to extend that credit through the summer, I think that's part in why they delayed manf. because they knew they were coming up on 200k and bonus they wanted to drop in the lighted vanity mirrors and new MCU.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I think they will purposely not hit the 3/31 date to extend that credit through the summer, I think that's part in why they delayed manf. because they new they were coming up on 200k and bonus they wanted to drop in the lighted vanity mirrors and new MCU.

I think so, too. I hope we're right. Plus, the Model 3 ramp-up has been going slower than expected, which bodes well for extending 200k past 3/31.

Reactions: bhzmark
The website text and DS provided dates aren’t right at all. I talked to my DS on 2/28 and they told me my prod was scheduled for 3/5, website updated on 3/2 for prod starting. Door sticker shows 02/18.

Tesla as a corporation makes my head spin when I try to wrap my head around this stuff. For a company so automated in their production process, they are in the stone age when it comes to reliable information for the build process and accurate updates on your vehicle status.

You would think the factory would update on a daily report what has entered production and what hasn't..... or what stages vehicles are in so they can plan for the next batch to enter.

I just have to keep telling myself the vehicle will be worth it, because their customer service and ordering process certainly leaves a ton to be desired. I nearly canceled my order because their process is so crappy.

Is it worth the risk to refuse delivery and order and maybe miss the 7500 tax credit...does this upgrade outweigh the tax credit?

See the posts just above. The full tax credit is available until at least June 30th, and most likely September 30th. After that, it drops to $3750 for 6 months.

I can't imagine that anyone ordering a car today would not get it before June 30th.

Reactions: bhzmark and BigD0g
Is it worth the risk to refuse delivery and order and maybe miss the 7500 tax credit...does this upgrade outweigh the tax credit?

That's really a personal decision, to me yes, to you maybe no? Heck, I refused delivery over ventilated seats =), but I got them, and I did not forfeit my $2500 after some heavy fighting with corporate, so it's possible to get your cake and eat it too, I did it before =).

That's really a personal decision, to me yes, to you maybe no? Heck, I refused delivery over ventilated seats =), but I got them, and I did not forfeit my $2500 after some heavy fighting with corporate, so it's possible to get your cake and eat it too, I did it before =).

What was the process like to keep your $2,500? I'm going to try to keep mine when refusing delivery and reordering, appreciate any tips.

Wonder if I can refer myself before I cancel the order, too? :cool:

Let me know what your DS says. my production dates are exactly the same as you. Either we got it..... or we missed it by 24 hours.

My car was originally supposed to go into production that Monday the 26th but it didn't. It ended up getting delayed until Wednesday the 28th to start...... so I am hoping that means it was because I was getting the new MCU.

I know my exact start and end dates per speaking with my DS.

When do you pick yours up?