Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I forgot to not the DS is telling me that the MCU will only affect the "infotainment" on the car nothing else. I've been looking and looking for what will be affected. I see Maps and Browser will be affected. Should I be concerned on any operation on the car?

what has been the problem with the older MCU what is slow going in the operation of the car.

I put this on reddit also, but figure it may or may not be helpful to some here... I had VIN 2448xx (supposedly they started around 245xxx) or something like that, and yes I ordered it when no one knew new MCUs were coming out so I realize that I had no expectation of getting the new unit... However, I'm a huge researcher / nerd and I was sitting there reading all these threads about the new MCU and overly excited to get my new high tech car, I was also very hopeful that I got "lucky" and got one of the ones that had the new MCU. Well, after reading that others who ordered before me and took delivery before I was supposed to had new MCUs, I was pretty disappointed when mine came in to the SC for delivery prep this past Monday and my DS called me and showed me video and it was the old MCU. I asked them what I could do because to me that is a pretty big and material upgrade and to feel like I was just unlucky to get 244999 / 245,000+ before they did the upgrades felt like a gut punch. I'm young, highly tech savvy, it's an important and material upgrade to me. I've also never spent over $100k on a car, so that's another really important factor IMO.

Luckily enough my DS and OA were super awesome and they helped me transfer my deposit to a new order, so I'll definitely get the new MCU. Now I just have to wait until June to pick it up instead of this week, which is a bit of a bummer but I'm counting my blessings that they didn't make me forfeit the deposit in order to do that, which would have bitten but I probably still would have done it even if I had to. (The MCU upgrade seems pretty substantial to me from the videos I've seen, and the car's only going to get older from here right?) Also, my DS told me that the upgrade is not going to be retrofittable since it is integrated into the behind-the-wheel dash screen and etc. so it changes things so much it's not just a plug-and-play to replace type of upgrade.

I love Tesla and what they're doing. If it were just the vanity mirrors or something small, I wouldn't have cared and just been happy I was getting the car. The guys at Tesla totally understood my point of view being young and caring about the highest tech. available right now though, and so close to that cutoff. So I'm glad they were able to help me out. :)

I live in Norway and have been trying to get Tesla to transfer my deposit towards a new order. I was supposed to get delivery in January, but the car has been delayed, so I am still waiting. I am to receive it in the next 2 weeks.. supposedly... I made my order 31st of October.... Since it has been so delayed they could at least show me the curtesy to forward my order, so I could take delivery in June, with the new MCU. As it stands now I will almost receive my car at the same time as those who orders now! But no, they are not willing to show me any service, and are just referring to the terms of my order... I am so pissed, I am considering to forfeiting my deposit because of the delay in delivery (and when it finally gets here, its outdated) and POOR service... Up until today they couldn't even confirm where my car is in transit... I have heard several people in the US being able to transfer their deposit, so I dont understand why they have a different policy in Norway compared to the US.

Last edited:
I put this on reddit also, but figure it may or may not be helpful to some here... I had VIN 2448xx (supposedly they started around 245xxx) or something like that, and yes I ordered it when no one knew new MCUs were coming out so I realize that I had no expectation of getting the new unit... However, I'm a huge researcher / nerd and I was sitting there reading all these threads about the new MCU and overly excited to get my new high tech car, I was also very hopeful that I got "lucky" and got one of the ones that had the new MCU. Well, after reading that others who ordered before me and took delivery before I was supposed to had new MCUs, I was pretty disappointed when mine came in to the SC for delivery prep this past Monday and my DS called me and showed me video and it was the old MCU. I asked them what I could do because to me that is a pretty big and material upgrade and to feel like I was just unlucky to get 244999 / 245,000+ before they did the upgrades felt like a gut punch. I'm young, highly tech savvy, it's an important and material upgrade to me. I've also never spent over $100k on a car, so that's another really important factor IMO.

Luckily enough my DS and OA were super awesome and they helped me transfer my deposit to a new order, so I'll definitely get the new MCU. Now I just have to wait until June to pick it up instead of this week, which is a bit of a bummer but I'm counting my blessings that they didn't make me forfeit the deposit in order to do that, which would have bitten but I probably still would have done it even if I had to. (The MCU upgrade seems pretty substantial to me from the videos I've seen, and the car's only going to get older from here right?) Also, my DS told me that the upgrade is not going to be retrofittable since it is integrated into the behind-the-wheel dash screen and etc. so it changes things so much it's not just a plug-and-play to replace type of upgrade.

I love Tesla and what they're doing. If it were just the vanity mirrors or something small, I wouldn't have cared and just been happy I was getting the car. The guys at Tesla totally understood my point of view being young and caring about the highest tech. available right now though, and so close to that cutoff. So I'm glad they were able to help me out. :)

Welcome to the forum.

I'm in the same boat but no guarantee from Tesla. I will meet with them in the morning. they are receiving new cars with the new MCU and mine isn't there yet and it has the old MCU. I'm in the 460xx range. I know EO_Roe is within 200 Vins of me and he got the new unit.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm in the same boat but no guarantee from Tesla. I will meet with them in the morning. they are receiving new cars with the new MCU and mine isn't there yet and it has the old MCU. I'm in the 460xx range. I know EO_Roe is within 200 Vins of me and he got the new unit.

Thanks! I've been lurking the forums for awhile but had nothing to say until today. And good luck with it, I know it's frustrating for people who care a lot about it. My sales guy has been on the lookout for anything that fits my desired build that has the higher VIN so I can take delivery sooner, but if he doesn't find anything today then my new order locks in and goes into production so it'll be a definitely June delivery in that case. *shrug* At least it'll for sure have the upgraded MCU.

Just received my new model S today and want to add that i received the new MCU. Vin is 245XXX was finished production on march 7.

Attachments

• IMG_3342.jpg
    IMG_3342.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: markn455
I'm working on way to do that, but self-reporting MCU1 vs MCU2 could get sticky as it's not blatantly obvious which MCU someone has if they aren't knowledgeable enough or don't pay particular attention.
For now it seems that firmware versions are differentiating MCUs. Wonder how long this will continue? Will versions converge again?

Unless you are Tesla in which case they will not acknowledge any difference between the Tegra and Intel powered MCU....... if you are still waiting for delivery of a car with a Tegra powered MCU.

Wonder how that will change once the Tegra MCU cars have worked their way through the supply chain? “Of course we have just updated the Touch screen so it is much faster. We are also planning on releasing an update so you can open your car with your smartphone” etc...

Actually this gives me an idea.....

Last edited:
I know, but when relying on (mostly) user supplied data, if they don't know what to select, they'll likely select the wrong thing... garbage in, garbage out. I need to think of a more elegant solution.
Maybe 3 options:
1) Original MCU (Built February 2018 or prior)
2) MCU2 (Built March 2018 or later for USA delivery)
3) Don’t Know

How can I find out? (Link to MCU Test + instructions)

Reactions: WINGIT
Hi Trackers,

I picked up my X-100D today in Chicago. Production from 3/2 finished 3/5. Serial 897xx
It has the new MCU per the http://teslamcu.xyz test.
The software is 2018.10.2
Somewhere someone said that both time of manufacture and options both mattered in the MCU installed.
For what it's worth I ordered both EAP and FSD...

It drives like a dream.

Shawn

I just took delivery 3/22 in VA with a car that supposedly came off the line 3/5, and it does have the new MCU. I can not locate the energy saving mode no matter what I try. I check under display like the manual states and only have an option to control the screen. I cannot locate the option on any menu and would like to use it for when parked at airports. Any ideas what I could be missing here? Thanks