Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Yellowstone road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a model s 90D, looking to go on a road trip from the Silicon Valley.
Any one tried the Yellowstone route via Sacramento? Then going back to around Utah, passing by Vegas?
What are good sites? Best superchargers? hotels? Charging destinations?
Appreciate your advice.

Do you know about evtripplanner.com? it is a nice website to plan long road trips without needing to get into your car first. I used it when I traveled to VA from WA and back 7900 miles last year. Mostly to just make sure it would work, then the car did the real heavy lifting. Looks like there is a charger or 2 in the park, and I know there is a Tesla charger in West Yellowstone MT which is RIGHT outside the west entrance. I too have a 90D so have a fun trip. Fair warning, my trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons was pre Tesla but I would make that trip today.

• Helpful
Reactions: David.85D
What are some of the items you prep? I know you should bring all your charger adaptors but are you considering buying the ChaDeMo adapter? What will you do I’m the vent of a flat tire? Have you considered a small tire air compressor? Fix a flat or slime I beleive they call it? I’m thinking of taking a road trip from Central NJ to my house on Amelia Island, FL, Jax area, 1100 miles each way and would like to prep for it. I may also do a few other trips given my wife’s trepidation about flying in the current environment.

Can’t wait to hear of your experiences and I’m sure given my novice level that I’ll learn something.

What are some of the items you prep? I know you should bring all your charger adaptors but are you considering buying the ChaDeMo adapter? What will you do I’m the vent of a flat tire? Have you considered a small tire air compressor? Fix a flat or slime I beleive they call it? I’m thinking of taking a road trip from Central NJ to my house on Amelia Island, FL, Jax area, 1100 miles each way and would like to prep for it. I may also do a few other trips given my wife’s trepidation about flying in the current environment.

Can’t wait to hear of your experiences and I’m sure given my novice level that I’ll learn something.

I've made the Yellowstone trip as well as at least 8 round trips from Colorado to Seattle, Philadelphia, Alabama, and Illinois in our MX 75D. My suggestions would be...
1. Download the Plugshare app and study all the options and comments for the charging spots in Yellowstone. We used the technique of only charging at spots listed in Plugshare, and only after getting approval from the various hotel/restaurant managers. They were all extremely friendly and accommodating. Now, we were in a tent camping area at Bridge Bay with no electricity. But, if you are booking an RV spot with electricity, then life becomes much easier.

2. The critical adapters to have are the J-1772 and NEMA 14-50. I made a TT-30 adapter for using 30 amp (120V) service at campgrounds but did not need it for the Yellowstone trip. I've used it at state campgrounds. Do not buy a TT-30 adapter made for RVs...it's not wired correctly for charging an EV. If you want to buy one, there are companies that sell them such as AC WORKS EVSE Charging Adapter RV TT-30P 30 Amp Plug to 50 Amp Electric Vehicle Adapter for Tesla Model S-EVTT30MS - The Home Depot

3. Don't waste $500 on a ChaDeMo adapter. You won't ever need with today's supercharger network reach.

4. I built a repair kit for tires, rather than a bottle of Slime. Once you slime a tire, most tire stores will not repair them. Included in my kit: small scissors jack rated for a weight greater than the largest Gross Axle Weight Rating for the car, Tesla style jack pad (homemade or commercial), a tire plug kit (available at all auto parts store and Amazon), pair of needle nose pliers or ViseGrips, small pocket knife for cutting excess plug material, breaker bar and long socket to fit the lug nuts (ideally you would plug the tire without having to remove the wheel), small 12 V air pump that plugs into the accessory socket in the car, and for the MX and MS, a lug nut cover removal tool (I just use the needle nose pliers mentioned above).

5. Take a bottle of window cleaner and some rags for removing bugs from windshield and headlights while you're supercharging.

In my list above I forgot to add: Sign up for ChargePoint and get their RFID card. I have ChargePoint, Semaconnect and Blink accounts, but the only one I ever use across the country is ChargePoint. Having the RFID card, rather than just using the app, makes the charging process quick and easy.

Reactions: electracity
In my list above I forgot to add: Sign up for ChargePoint and get their RFID card. I have ChargePoint, Semaconnect and Blink accounts, but the only one I ever use across the country is ChargePoint. Having the RFID card, rather than just using the app, makes the charging process quick and easy.
Thank you for the fantastic insights in your reply and I’ll be taking your advice quite literally. Cheers

I've made the Yellowstone trip as well as at least 8 round trips from Colorado to Seattle, Philadelphia, Alabama, and Illinois in our MX 75D. My suggestions would be...
1. Download the Plugshare app and study all the options and comments for the charging spots in Yellowstone. We used the technique of only charging at spots listed in Plugshare, and only after getting approval from the various hotel/restaurant managers. They were all extremely friendly and accommodating. Now, we were in a tent camping area at Bridge Bay with no electricity. But, if you are booking an RV spot with electricity, then life becomes much easier.

2. The critical adapters to have are the J-1772 and NEMA 14-50. I made a TT-30 adapter for using 30 amp (120V) service at campgrounds but did not need it for the Yellowstone trip. I've used it at state campgrounds. Do not buy a TT-30 adapter made for RVs...it's not wired correctly for charging an EV. If you want to buy one, there are companies that sell them such as AC WORKS EVSE Charging Adapter RV TT-30P 30 Amp Plug to 50 Amp Electric Vehicle Adapter for Tesla Model S-EVTT30MS - The Home Depot

3. Don't waste $500 on a ChaDeMo adapter. You won't ever need with today's supercharger network reach.

4. I built a repair kit for tires, rather than a bottle of Slime. Once you slime a tire, most tire stores will not repair them. Included in my kit: small scissors jack rated for a weight greater than the largest Gross Axle Weight Rating for the car, Tesla style jack pad (homemade or commercial), a tire plug kit (available at all auto parts store and Amazon), pair of needle nose pliers or ViseGrips, small pocket knife for cutting excess plug material, breaker bar and long socket to fit the lug nuts (ideally you would plug the tire without having to remove the wheel), small 12 V air pump that plugs into the accessory socket in the car, and for the MX and MS, a lug nut cover removal tool (I just use the needle nose pliers mentioned above).

5. Take a bottle of window cleaner and some rags for removing bugs from windshield and headlights while you're supercharging.

Make sure the window cleaner does not have ammonia. Highly recommend keeping a pre-made spray bottle of Optimum No Rinse and microfiber towels in the car. Super cheap, effective and safe.

Also if I were to plan any super long road trip and had extra space, I would get myself one of these "modern Spare" things for the Model S:

https://modernspare.com/product/2012-2020-tesla-model-s-complete-kit/

Reactions: TK16688 and Zer0t
Make sure the window cleaner does not have ammonia. Highly recommend keeping a pre-made spray bottle of Optimum No Rinse and microfiber towels in the car. Super cheap, effective and safe.

Also if I were to plan any super long road trip and had extra space, I would get myself one of these "modern Spare" things for the Model S:

Alloy Spare Tire Kits Engineered For Your Tesla Model S | Modern Spare
I thought I read in this site, actually thought it was thread, that the lug nut torque is incredibly high.

• Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid
I thought I read in this site, actually thought it was thread, that the lug nut torque is incredibly high.

Yeah this is the one aspect I have not researched. I figured I can always buy a torque wrench where I can set the lug nut torque setting before use. Anyone know of a safe way to reinstall a wheel with a portable tool that torques the lug nuts at just the right value?

Yeah this is the one aspect I have not researched. I figured I can always buy a torque wrench where I can set the lug nut torque setting before use. Anyone know of a safe way to reinstall a wheel with a portable tool that torques the lug nuts at just the right value?
Güdentight works just fine until you can find a tire shop. Making sure you have the necessary tools on hand to tighten the lugs on a failed tire/wheel to exactly 129 foot pounds is the last thing I’d be worrying about on a road trip.

Güdentight works just fine until you can find a tire shop. Making sure you have the necessary tools on hand to tighten the lugs on a failed tire/wheel to exactly 129 foot pounds is the last thing I’d be worrying about on a road trip.

So if you get someone to stand on the wrench who is about 120 lbs is that accurate? I suppose it would depend on the length of the wrench...

Are there no portable adjustable torque wrenches where you can set it to 129 foot pounds?

Planning to make this exact Sacramento to Yellowstone trip in two weeks. I would absolutely take our Standard Range Raven S but the wife is a little apprehensive about the lack of a spare tire. The Gray Wolf hotel in West Yellowstone is literally across the street from 8 Superchargers, plus the hotel has some slower destination chargers. My biggest concern is if all the stalls are continuously occupied. I have never been to Yellowstone so I dont know how busy the Superchargers get.

At the moment, we're still debating whether to take the Tesla and buy a Modern Spare tire kit, or take the trusty old RX350. With the Lexus I budgeted four 30-minute breaks (stopping every 2 hours of driving). Based on ABRP, we will need 2hr 11min to charge, so only 11 minutes longer stop than taking the ICE car. Of course, this assumes I'll be able to charge as fast as estimated by ABRP.

Planning to make this exact Sacramento to Yellowstone trip in two weeks. I would absolutely take our Standard Range Raven S but the wife is a little apprehensive about the lack of a spare tire. The Gray Wolf hotel in West Yellowstone is literally across the street from 8 Superchargers, plus the hotel has some slower destination chargers. My biggest concern is if all the stalls are continuously occupied. I have never been to Yellowstone so I dont know how busy the Superchargers get.

At the moment, we're still debating whether to take the Tesla and buy a Modern Spare tire kit, or take the trusty old RX350. With the Lexus I budgeted four 30-minute breaks (stopping every 2 hours of driving). Based on ABRP, we will need 2hr 11min to charge, so only 11 minutes longer stop than taking the ICE car. Of course, this assumes I'll be able to charge as fast as estimated by ABRP.
Take the Tesla. You’ll love it. We did NorCal to Grand Canyon and Tucson last year in our 2016 S75 and it was such an amazing experience to do in an EV.

I got a plug kit and portable compressor and a AAA subscription. Never needed any of it of course.

Reactions: PhilDavid
Take the Tesla. You’ll love it. We did NorCal to Grand Canyon and Tucson last year in our 2016 S75 and it was such an amazing experience to do in an EV.

I got a plug kit and portable compressor and a AAA subscription. Never needed any of it of course.

Thanks, ucmndd. I also have a slime kit, tire plug kit, air compressor, and roadside assistance. However, I've never liked relying on roadside assistance and have seen 3+ hour waits from AAA. I used to carry a portable jumpstarter in my ICE car and helped out a dozen others before needing it myself. I just prefer to rely on myself.

I agree, takimg the Tesla would be awesome. If by myself, there would be no question which car to take. I just finished testing storage capacity and begrudgingly admit the RX 350 has more cargo space than our S, plus the RX has a spare tire. It is great if you never need it but man, oh man, was I glad to have a spare tire on the Hyundai rental in Maui -- 6pm, on a weekend, sidewall puncture just as we're about to make the 2+ hr return from Road to Hana where night becomes pitch black along some very twisty hillside roads (supposedly 620 curves along the journey but I was too busy avoiding the cliffs to count). I prayed and prayed we wouldn't get a second flat tire for the next 60 miles and luckily made it back to our hotel safe and sound. Quite an adventure. I still remember the 5-6 mosquito bites while I changed the tire in 15 minutes flat (no pun intended).

Our S is AWD and I surmise a RWD S with the larger frunk would be able to squeeze in a spare and out-carry the RX. I'm bummed taking the RX but the wife will have more peace of mind. I will miss our S in the garage. The S trunk is deeper than the RX but the height of the RX is a better shape for storing the cooler, suitcases, and other gear. Sigh. I will envy the other Teslas we see at Yellowstone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mobius484
Thanks, ucmndd. I also have a slime kit, tire plug kit, air compressor, and roadside assistance. However, I've never liked relying on roadside assistance and have seen 3+ hour waits from AAA. I used to carry a portable jumpstarter in my ICE car and helped out a dozen others before needing it myself. I just prefer to rely on myself.

I agree, takimg the Tesla would be awesome. If by myself, there would be no question which car to take. I just finished testing storage capacity and begrudgingly admit the RX 350 has more cargo space than our S, plus the RX has a spare tire. It is great if you never need it but man, oh man, was I glad to have a spare tire on the Hyundai rental in Maui -- 6pm, on a weekend, sidewall puncture just as we're about to make the 2+ hr return from Road to Hana where night becomes pitch black along some very twisty hillside roads (supposedly 620 curves along the journey but I was too busy avoiding the cliffs to count). I prayed and prayed we wouldn't get a second flat tire for the next 60 miles and luckily made it back to our hotel safe and sound. Quite an adventure. I still remember the 5-6 mosquito bites while I changed the tire in 15 minutes flat (no pun intended).

Our S is AWD and I surmise a RWD S with the larger frunk would be able to squeeze in a spare and out-carry the RX. I'm bummed taking the RX but the wife will have more peace of mind. I will miss our S in the garage. The S trunk is deeper than the RX but the height of the RX is a better shape for storing the cooler, suitcases, and other gear. Sigh. I will envy the other Teslas we see at Yellowstone.

I don't understand what kind of peace of mind your wife is going to have with you whining the whole way there and back every 5 minutes about how you wish you took the Tesla.Seriously, just take the Tesla and enjoy the journey. Autopilot is perfect for your trip.

If your wife still wants to take the RX350, make it clear to her that you will whine about not driving the Tesla during the entire trip.

It will be fine to drive the RX. It's not my first choice but I'm a big boy and can deal with it. Still many other positives in life to be thankful for. Main concern is staying safe and healthy. I took a peek at the live bear cam yesterday from the Grizzly and Wolf museum in West Yellowstone and the scariest thing to me are the groups of people huddled together with few wearing masks. The few that had masks had it pulled down around their neck. Wyoming and Montana have the lowest cases of COVID19 but all the out-of-State visitors not heeding basic face protection has me more worried than which car to take, or whether it's a good idea for us to continue with the trip at all.

Bear Cam | See Yellowstone Bears | Grizzly Wolf Disc. Center

Last edited:
Just went from the SF Bay Area to Seattle, around the Olympic peninsula and back down 101. The S was a perfect toad trip car and the charging was great. I’d prefer the chargers to be closer to some restaurants other than Black Bear Diner but whatever. Even slept in the car one night with camp mode and it was great.

Just went from the SF Bay Area to Seattle, around the Olympic peninsula and back down 101. The S was a perfect toad trip car and the charging was great. I’d prefer the chargers to be closer to some restaurants other than Black Bear Diner but whatever. Even slept in the car one night with camp mode and it was great.
They seem to partner with regional chains on these things. Black Bear Diner in the Pacific Northwest, but if you ever head to the Southwest, I hope you like Carl’s Jr...