Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 100D range out of range after 205 miles from Full charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I’m missing it, but the key point is that we all know the battery is between 90-95kw accessible, then why is he getting to empty in the 70’s? If he drove straight then there can’t be that much ‘vampire drain.’

either your computer is calculating the battery used incorrectly, or your not really getting to 100% charge, or you have a bad battery. Either way it’s worth a call to service.

I fook the car in earlier and tesla said that battery was inline with others. Hence the test..

I did.not.drive 200 miles flat out, I Took 2 pit stops

... drove it on i95 at about 75 mph it did 205.9 miles at 382 Wh/mi and spent 78.7 KWh ...
I have 22 wheels. ... i Was averaging 380 wh/m for the 205 mile trip
Live in Florida, it rare to get to 40F most of my drive was in 73 to 76F and ac was set at 73F

22" & 75 MPH are impactful. See horizontal blue 55, 60, 65 ... 80
Maybe check your PSI on your 22" too.

Some text at the bottom of Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com to give you an idea on how they are getting some of their numbers.

rVh0QXK.jpg

For the test today charged to 100% and let it sit till it said charging complete (40 or so minutes after it hits 100%)

drove it on i95 at about 75 mph it did 205.9 miles at 382 Wh/mi and spent 78.7 KWh

do I read this as 21% degradation ?

To save yourself the guess work just get a compatible OBD reader and an App like scan my Tesla.

Our 75D X at 30k miles has 64kWh usable, even though the internet says the car should have 71.2kWh usable even brand new I never saw more an 67kWh using your method, which puts degredation at 5% which is expected for the current age/miles.

49110399937_0ab572dafa_c_d.jpg

The OBD tool also shows you how much DC charging you have done. So you can see how close or over you are the Supercharging slow down trigger, which starts at about 2500kWh I believe.

49109700383_86623db680_c_d.jpg

Maybe I’m missing it, but the key point is that we all know the battery is between 90-95kw accessible.

Is that really true anymore? Post on here suggest the real usable kWh of 100 pack cars are under 90kWh. Take 4kWh away for the buffer, and on 5% degredation and you're at 80kWh, not far off what OP is reporting.

If lots of DC charging than expect worse degredation, so under 80kWh seems very plasable. Still 16kWh more than our 75D, and as a percentage about 24% more usable kWh, so not far off the 25% difference the badge would suggest.

Tesla changing the badge of the cars away from 75/100 to SR/LR will help people getting obsessed with numbers that mean very little in real life.

Is a 100D really a 100kW battery or 90?

Last edited:
To save yourself the guess work just get a compatible OBD reader and an App like scan my Tesla.

Our 75D X at 30k miles has 64kWh usable, even though the internet says the car should have 71.2kWh usable even brand new I never saw more an 67kWh using your method, which puts degredation at 5% which is expected for the current age/miles.

49110399937_0ab572dafa_c_d.jpg

The OBD tool also shows you how much DC charging you have done. So you can see how close or over you are the Supercharging slow down trigger, which starts at about 2500kWh I believe.

49109700383_86623db680_c_d.jpg

Can you link the obd tool you use for your MX?

So, the rates range is based on what?
The EPA test cycle. You can find information about that on the EPA website.

Just like ICE cars do not get the EPA rated MPG in real world driving, EVs do not get the EPA rated range unless they are driven similar to the EPA test cycle.

The OP did his drive at 75mph, which uses far more energy than the EPA test cycle, and he has 22” tires which also use more energy. There is no way he is going to get the EPA rated range.

I don't know where you got that 2500 kWh numbers for DC Charge Total but I do not think it is accurate at all. You can see I'm at 8747 kWh after several roadtrips. Please provide a source. TIA.

Can you link the obd tool you use for your MX?
The ScanMyTesla official website has one that I use with the tool and my son uses with his TM3. Fast (number of packets handled/sec) and reliable : ODBLink LX bluetooth ; I purchased a couple (me/son) from Amazon here: https://smile.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional-Diagnostics/dp/B00H9S71LW

See: scan my tesla - Adapters page for more details/info.

Here is what my X 100D looks like (2017; 20" tires):

w6hNCx9.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: gangzoom
I don't know where you got that 2500 kWh numbers for DC Charge Total but I do not think it is accurate at all. You can see I'm at 8747 kWh after several roadtrips. Please provide a source. TIA.

In black and white from Tesla direct- for 75D pack, 100D packs will have a higher limit but a limit none the less.

Interestingly to see your car reports 90kWh usable after 45k whilst OP is reporting potentially over 10kWh less despite both been 100D packs. The theory that Tesla started shipping 100D packs with less usable kWhs at some points seems to be true.