Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a 100D really a 100kW battery or 90?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All:

I have been worried/complaining about my Rated Range quite a bit and today took some time to investigate this further. The attached picture is the Battery Screen from the scan my tesla app, Anyone see a issue with this or am I missing something my car is 2017 Model S 100D.

Attachments

• Tesla BMS100D.jpg
    Tesla BMS100D.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 377
Hi All:

I have been worried/complaining about my Rated Range quite a bit and today took some time to investigate this further. The attached picture is the Battery Screen from the scan my tesla app, Anyone see a issue with this or am I missing something my car is 2017 Model S 100D.
Ok sorry I just saw info in the image and got all my answers, I calculate 302mi max range?

Something is wrong if that’s the case

Hi All:

You are not clear on what you are worried/complaining about. Your file says 310 miles full rated range. The rated range for new is 335 rated miles. I don't see anything unusual in your file.

I believe it is 102kwh, but not all is usable (which is the case for all the batteries).

What rated range are you getting at 100%? How many miles on the car?

My 100% rated range as of as 11/03/2018 is 313 miles.

Why I looked at my picture and was comparing to other posts which had mentioned Tesla 100D have 102kWh battery with 4-5kWh locked

Based on the image I have looks like I have a degradation of about 12kWh, I have about 17500 miles and the car is 15 months from the day I took delivery.

The battery pack label says I have a 100kWh pack.

You are not clear on what you are worried/complaining about.

I am worried about the battery degradation 12kWh in 15 months.. is this even normal? I have heard 4-5% first year, this looks more like 10%

Last edited:
Seems even more normal/expected

Not trying to be confrontational, can you point me a to a published article stating your assumption?.

Supercharging, Yes my charging pattern is 1 a week, I charge from about 15% - 90%. and have traveled about (7000 miles with 2 long drives)

the way i see it no matter what the charging style is 102kWh pack cannot be 90.6kWh in 15 months..I know someone here will say that Tesla does not warranty degradation, that is understood.

Note: I have also reached out Tesla, to get the capacity I can use based on their tools.

There are many many sources that discuss the effects of DC fast charging on battery health and capacity. Here’s one example:

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2015/01/f19/dcfc_study_fs_50k.pdf

Not detrimental, but it does have an effect.

You’re chasing your tail trying to make sense of reported battery capacity numbers and not likely to arrive at a satisfactory answer. As I said above, your rated range is about 6.5% less than new, which is perfectly normal over the first ~20k miles, particularly with almost all DC fast charging and regular deep discharge cycles.

Best thing you could do if you’re really concerned about this is to adopt Tesla’s recommenced charging practices, Level 2 charge at home if possible (I understand it isn’t for everyone), and do it every night to get away from the deep discharges. Keep the battery near the middle of its capacity as much as possible.