Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 2-2017 P100D MCU1 to HW3 from 2.0 Upgrade quirks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have seen some videos on youtube re the MCU1 computer is just not working the way it should: takes minutes to load a route in NAV, voice control of dialing a phone number takes forever, etc................never gave me any indication that MCU1 could not handle the load from the upgrade to HW#

I also have a 2/2017 car and my appointment to upgrade to HW3 is coming up. The MCU1 is barely usable as it is, but my screen has no yellowing and my eMMC seems to be in good shape. I don't want to spend another $2,500, but I do want a usable dashcam with Sentry mode.

Reactions: Mandarin
I also have a 2/2017 car and my appointment to upgrade to HW3 is coming up. The MCU1 is barely usable as it is, but my screen has no yellowing and my eMMC seems to be in good shape. I don't want to spend another $2,500, but I do want a usable dashcam with Sentry mode.
same here but my car is 12/2016.

How did you make an appointment for MCU upgrade?
I don't have an inviting email but when I was chatting with Tesla support they confirmed that my car is eligible for that and I can make an appointment under the "other" category and type there "upgrade to mcu2". Is it the truth?

I don't have an inviting email but when I was chatting with Tesla support they confirmed that my car is eligible for that and I can make an appointment under the "other" category and type there "upgrade to mcu2". Is it the truth?

Somebody reviews all those requests so that should work fine.

This is correct. I recently saw a post on reddit where an AP1 owner indicated they got MCU2 after an out-of-warranty MCU1 failure.

This is correct. I recently saw a post on reddit where an AP1 owner indicated they got MCU2 after an out-of-warranty MCU1 failure.
Hi, I own a 2016 model X and I got the upgrade done and I'm very pleased! I used the Tesla app under service and requested an mcu1 upgrade and they order the parts needed and scheduled the appointment. There were some hiccups of course. First they ordered the wrong mcu for my car's upgrade, it took a full day of trying to install it before they figured out. So they order the right one and it took about a for them to complete the installation. So when I picked up my X I was soon excited! I got on the freeway and noticed the navigation map was showing my true location. So I turn around and took it back and they found out that the unit didn't have maps installed, so they had to order another mcu and finally everything works fine!! I have to mention this was their first installation of an upgrade in a 2016 X. So if you decide to do it check to see if they done an installation before on 2016 X and be patient, it's worth it!!