Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 75 D road trips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can spring for the 100D it would be better in the long run (if you'll want freedom to do trips often) and for future resale. Range is king, you'll notice that once you own an EV. The acceleration also makes it feel like a truly fast car versus a bit sluggish feel (not that its as bad as some other gas SUVs still).

Do realize you only charge to 90% of stated max range. That last 10% is painfully slow (or last 7ish or so). Then you'll lose some in time when algo learns your driving, you'll lose some due to true degradation over fist year then each year, and in Winter/cold times you'll lose some due to efficiency lost (cold air, heater, any wet/snow roads, etc.). For example, that 237 100% mentioned on 75, at 90% is 213, minus 5% over some years leaves around 200 at 90%, then say you lose 20% due to cold leaves about 160 miles range if you didn't range charge. Not a ton, and 20% is being generous if your in a very cold climate.
I think you are saying a 75 feels "sluggish"? Are you kidding? Have you driven one? I am constantly blowing away any car stopped next to me at a light. Ludicrous would make a difference, but not a std. 100d, especially since I just got a second faster with the free "uncorking".

I think you are saying a 75 feels "sluggish"? Are you kidding? Have you driven one? I am constantly blowing away any car stopped next to me at a light. Ludicrous would make a difference, but not a std. 100d, especially since I just got a second faster with the free "uncorking".

In all fairness, it's subjective. Prior to uncorking, I too felt my MX 75D was sluggish. You get an initial push and then it levels off really quickly. Passing was easy enough but by no means impressive. Uncorked, it's much better; which is of course much close to 100D numbers.

The uncorked X75D is now more or less the same performance as an uncorked X100D. It's actually faster accelerating than the original corked X100D. Only advantages of the X100 now are range and Vmax.

The corked X75D was significantly slower (6.0 vs 4.9 sec 0-60), which is the equivalent of well over 100 hp difference. That was a huge power upgrade for sure! Unless you really do need the range and/or Vmax of an X100D, there isn't much point in spending the extra cash on a bigger and considerably heavier battery pack.

The uncorked X75D is now more or less the same performance as an uncorked X100D. It's actually faster accelerating than the original corked X100D. Only advantages of the X100 now are range and Vmax.

The corked X75D was significantly slower (6.0 vs 4.9 sec 0-60), which is the equivalent of well over 100 hp difference. That was a huge power upgrade for sure! Unless you really do need the range and/or Vmax of an X100D, there isn't much point in spending the extra cash on a bigger and considerably heavier battery pack.

What's a Vmax?

The 100D is actually much faster than the 75D at speeds above 30mph and the 0-60 spec of 100D is also very conservative. Real world comparison states that 100D does accelerate 0,5sec faster to 60 than uncorked 75D.

Flooring a 100D compared with a 75D driving at 50mph for instance is really a great difference. The 100D output almost 100hp more than uncorked 75D.

The 100D is actually much faster than the 75D at speeds above 30mph and the 0-60 spec of 100D is also very conservative. Real world comparison states that 100D does accelerate 0,5sec faster to 60 than uncorked 75D.

Flooring a 100D compared with a 75D driving at 50mph for instance is really a great difference. The 100D output almost 100hp more than uncorked 75D.

Show me some actual numbers. I've only ever seen 0-60 and max speed figures for the 2 cars and 0-60 is only 0.2 sec faster as quoted by Tesla using the same test regime. Not saying you are wrong, I can believe the 100D is quicker at higher speeds, but by how much exactly? Where did the 0.5 sec faster 0-60 come from anyway? Were the cars the same spec other than battery size as for example a 5 seater would be considerably lighter than a 6 seater with centre console. Why would Tesla be conservative with their 100D figures and not the 75D? Doesn't make sense unless they don't want to sell many 100Ds!

Show me some actual numbers. I've only ever seen 0-60 and max speed figures for the 2 cars and 0-60 is only 0.2 sec faster as quoted by Tesla using the same test regime. Not saying you are wrong, I can believe the 100D is quicker at higher speeds, but by how much exactly? Where did the 0.5 sec faster 0-60 come from anyway? Were the cars the same spec other than battery size as for example a 5 seater would be considerably lighter than a 6 seater with centre console. Why would Tesla be conservative with their 100D figures and not the 75D? Doesn't make sense unless they don't want to sell many 100Ds!

This is based on me just recently testing Model S 75D (uncorked) and Model S 100D back-to-back and it is a noticeable difference.

You can take a look in this thread as well where a lot of data is stored based on Power tools measures performed by owners:
Upgraded performance Metrics Summary

As you can see in this thread there is data showing that 100D peak at about 420+ kW power which is a bit more than comparing 75D uncorked where you see figures around mid 350kW (BTX5 battery which is the one that currently is installed in all 75D). In terms of acceleration you can also see that 100D have measured uncorked performance of about 3.5-3,6.

These figures purely state 0-60 figures, but the higher peak kW in 100D give the main advantage higher up in the speed range. Like I wrote in my previous post, if you floor a 100D driving at 50mph or quicker is much faster than a uncorked 75D.

100D is also proved to be faster than 90D even though they have very similar specs and same top speed rating (155mph). Tesla for sure undersell 100D by some reason. For the Model S it's not far behind P85D performance and based on my own tests equal in the higher speed ranges. P85D is faster from stand still.

Should be added that all my own comparisons have been for the Model S, Reading the data in the matrix for the few X tested it seems like the difference is smaller, but not sure how much conclusions one can draw from that.

Last edited:
For those that drive in areas where the highway speeds are around 65 MPH, it's typically no big deal to travel long distances. In my limited experience with road trips in my S, I can barely manage to get about 140 miles of total range. Most highways where we are are 75-80 mph, which significantly reduces range in an EV the same it does when speeding in an ICE vehicle. For us, it wasn't a big deal at all since we normally rent a cheap car if we need to travel outside our local area. I've never liked putting a ton of miles on my cars, but heck, I don't really enjoy driving long distances anyway.

-My $0.02.

This. I always chuckle when I talk about acceleration. My 75D X is by far the fastest car I’ve ever owned and that’s without getting it uncorked. I drive on city streets and I’m not planning on doing any drag racing with it so the extra “performance” of the larger battery means absolutely nothing to me. Obviously the extra range is a plus and if that’s worth an extra 15K then more power to you but calling a Tesla 75D “sluggish” is silly.

This. I always chuckle when I talk about acceleration. My 75D X is by far the fastest car I’ve ever owned and that’s without getting it uncorked. I drive on city streets and I’m not planning on doing any drag racing with it so the extra “performance” of the larger battery means absolutely nothing to me. Obviously the extra range is a plus and if that’s worth an extra 15K then more power to you but calling a Tesla 75D “sluggish” is silly.

These are not cars I would think of as fast, but all do 0-60 in the same time or less than a corked 75D.
Cadillac Escalade
Chrysler 200
Ford F-150
Ford Explorer
GMC Yukon
Honda’s accord
Nissan Altima

There’s a lot more.
5 Second Cars 0-60 Times | Find Cars with 0 to 60 Times from 5-5.99 Seconds | Five Second Club
So anyone coming from that list could certainly consider an uncorked 75D as sluggish in comparison.

When Tesla uncorked it, it put it into a completely different class. 4s 0-60 here:
4 Second Cars 0-60 Times | Find Cars with 0 to 60 Times from 4-4.99 Seconds | Four Second Club

Notice the only brand with non-specialized/performance (ie /M, AMG, etc) that you could come from that’s faster would be an Infiniti. Coming from an FX50, an uncorked MX75D might still feel sluggish.

Heck my uncorked MX 75D feels sluggish still to me, it’s most noticeable immediately after I drive my uncorked Model S 75D.:rolleyes:

This is based on me just recently testing Model S 75D (uncorked) and Model S 100D back-to-back and it is a noticeable difference.

You can take a look in this thread as well where a lot of data is stored based on Power tools measures performed by owners:
Upgraded performance Metrics Summary

Should be added that all my own comparisons have been for the Model S, Reading the data in the matrix for the few X tested it seems like the difference is smaller, but not sure how much conclusions one can draw from that.

Just had a look at the latest X data in the thread you kindly linked. In summary:-

Corked X75D 283 kW 5.25 s 0-60
Uncorked X75D 356 kW 4.13 s 0-60
Corked X100D 360 kW 4.25 s 0-60
Uncorked X100D 404 kW 4.00 0-60

That's basically more or less in line with what Tesla are advertising for all 4 of these model variants. So an uncorked X75D is more or less equal to a corked X100D in terms of peak power and accel, but the X75 should actually be a fraction faster due to being 160 kg lighter - which it is in those figures. An uncorked X100D is a little faster again with an extra 44 kW (59 hp) but not by that much given the weight disadvantage. I would love to see comparable objective figures up to 100 mph, but nobody seems to provide them? Living in the UK, I don't care about performance beyond 100 mph, it will only contribute to my jail sentence!

The most obvious things in this data set are that a corked X75D is much slower than any X100D to 60 mph and that an uncorked X75D would be neck and neck with any X100D to 60 mph. Above 60 there isn't any objective data, but I expect the X100D (at least an uncorked one) does pull away significantly as you suggest with the extra power.

I've also driven X100D and X75D back-to-back (both uncorked latest spec) and couldn't tell any difference in the real world (didn't go above 85 mph, but plenty of 30-70+ action!). FWIW I could feel the weight difference more in handling on our twisty country roads and many roundabouts - the X75D does feel a little sharper in response but not a big deal. This test was the final reason I chose the X75D as I don't need the extended range. Had I driven a corked X75D I may have drawn a different conclusion as it is quite a power downgrade and I can understand the "sluggish" comments in a relative sense.