Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X accident in New Jersey, Feb 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the CHP worked on this ahead of time. They seem to have the plan in place and execute it in a few minutes.

Given the huge numbers of Teslas in the SF Bay Area, and now US wide, AP and a unresponsive driver is bound to happen sooner or later.

Seems Tesla requires captain's/pilot's license (as they are trained to pay attention). I would have thought risk would be enough for most adults - of course teenagers can be particularly thoughtless.
Well, technically I have never had a pilot's "license", and I have been flying since the Navy ;) But yea, I understand your point.

Agree. I’ve driven that road and used autopilot. Driver can always override autopilot. Hard to believe the driver when he says the car won’t let him take control. He most likely did not take control until too late.

The reports implies that the driver told police police that after the car struck objects at the roadside, he tried to regain control but the car wouldn't let him. Of course, that could be driver perception that the inability to control the vehicle was due to Autopilot, and not traction or some other problem after the collisions.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I read the article and not sure I completely believe the driver. They said that they tried to take control and the car would not let them.

Yes, Jboy. Agree. Probably another case of an ignorant driver wanting to blame Tesla for his lack of attention and control. I'm not every going to believe that the Tesla prevented him from taking control.

Reactions: jboy210