Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X and auto car washes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I imagine that if it's safe to drive with the spoiler up while it's raining, that it's safe to be up in a car wash.. assuming it doesn't get caught on anything. (But other cars with spoilers go through car washes every day and they aren't torn off.)

That having been said, I'm not going to be the first one to try this! :D

I haven't checked the manual to see if there is a way to put the spoiler down while you are sitting in it for things like car washes. I would be worried about it being damaged by spinning rags that could snag something.

I've read posts on the Model S forum of owners that take their Model S through the automatic car wash (the non-touchless car washes). So far the only issue that I've heard of is that the rims can get messed up from the track that pulls the car. However, with the Model X, I'm also concerned about the spoiler if there isn't a way to put it down when going through the car wash. Has anyone tried putting their X in tow mode to see what the spoiler does? I seem to recall people saying that they put their Model S in tow mode when going through the car wash so that it doesn't switch to park.

I've washed mine 4 times in our local car wash with rotating brushes. The owner, whom I know and trust, feels their system is more gentle than hand washing. Anyway, there is no problem with the spoiler being up, although I'd prefer a way to retract it.
I disagree. First of all, the car washes use commercial grade strong detergents that damage the top coat. And if you're not using a touch less, the brushes/fibers collect all kinds of contaminants that the previous guy who just went off-roading left on them. And the rotating brush is rubbing them off on your 80k upwards car. Over a period of time you will begin to see swirls and scratches.

If you drive any expensive car, do yourself a little favor - hand wash it or take it to a facility that will hand wash it for you. They don't cost that much more.

• Love
Reactions: TaoJones
The time taken to wash the chariot yourself or the extra cost to have someone competent handwash it for you adds up to less than the cost of professional paint correction to get rid of swirls and worse from the paint and other surfaces.

I hadn't handwashed a car in 20+ years and thought the detailer was nuts to suggest it. This was less than 2 weeks into ownership when the detailer fixed swirls and other paint blemishes after a botched detail at the factory (factory pickup). Prior to adding paint protection, which is another topic.

Fortunately, he patiently offered an overview for almost an hour from end to end, and from that day forward, I've washed the car every 2 weeks or so since.

Do yourself a favor - when the SvC offers to wash your chariot, just say no and ensure that no gets into the work order and is also written on the mirror hanger.

Caveat: if you live in snow country then pretty much ignore everything I just typed, and just enjoy the vehicle.

i had to wash my car twice on a road trip of around 3k miles due to the large number of bugs which decided they wanted to end their life on the X's bumper. both times i took it thru the rotating brush car washes, put the spoiler in extended mode and once the track took hold of the wheel, turned on tow mode. had no problems. i'm going to get the paint correction and cquartz applied soon, but haven't seen any swirls etc so far.