Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X and S Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the main reason it stings is that these changes are launched with seemingly arbitrary timing and no semi-reliable advance notice (though this particular announcement happening the day before earnings is unlikely to be a coincidence), so it's impossible to make an informed decision, and there's no consolation to those who picked a bad time to buy.

So they should tell you they are about to release a new model with better range, better suspension, etc. to inform your buying decision? You would then not buy the current model for sure, which they need to unload or then mark down huge amount in fire sale which hurts revenues.

This is the way Tesla has always operated and should not be a surprise to anyone and you should understand why they do that. I note they are the only car company that will improve your car at no extra cost while it sits in your garage too. So is it really valid to complain?

I bought a 2018 Model X right at end of the year. I would surely like the new one better, but I really like this car and I paid for FSD, which if it comes to pass will make this an even greater buy.

It seems they've recently changed some policies along with the language of their order agreement to be much less threatening. It's now clear that you can cancel your order at any time prior to delivery for a full refund, which should alleviate some concerns. (Maybe some people were already aware of this, but I wasn't.) So if they announce some upgrades that you want, as long as you haven't taken delivery of your vehicle yet, with the changed policies, you can just ask to cancel it and place a new order.

I just did that. My X was basically almost ready to be delivered but they still cheerfully cancelled it and helped me place my new order over the phone in 5 minutes. I did have to place the new order with a new "deposit" and then they'll transfer the old "deposit" over and add it on as well.

This is from my order agreement as of March 20, 2019 around when my previous order was being confirmed:
Order Agreement - Old.png

To sum it up--they were warning that your "deposit" was non-refundable once your order was sent to the factory.

And this is from my order agreement April 27, 2019 immediately after placing a new order:
Order Agreement - New.png

To sum it up--cancel at any time, prior to delivery, and get a full refund.

Obviously, once you have taken delivery of the car, you can't really expect much... though if you're in the return window still, you could just return it.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: ohmman and aesculus
Couldn't agree more with the well-stated captioned post.

Same as with my 9/30/2016 S75 that became relatively obsolete 10 days later with introduction of the V2 AP to my surprise and chagrin.
There's No entry point to buy a new car and the "old" ones crater in value with the new ones constantly updated, but probably not well tested. Coming out with a yearly model incorporating many thoroughly tested upgrades would be much better - at least you have one year of the latest technology, a better, more validated product, and customers that don't feel that you can't trust Tesla to take advantage of them again. Read: can you say, 2170 cells for the flagship S and X? You can discount the "year-old" models to avoid the bitterness of being taken advantage of - like Animal House, it's your own fault for trusting us.

It does leave a bad taste in your mouth, and you do feel "had". Obviously, you don't feel good referring friends - I sent 3 people that bought cars between the time of my order, delivery, and the realization that not waiting 2 weeks for AP 2.0 was a huge mistake.There was no further referrals afterwards - not that anyone at Tesla cares although I complained to anyone that would listen to no avail. The implications for a long-term negative outlook are obvious.

I'm literally in the exact same boat as you except with a Model X. However, I've come to accept that you cannot expect Tesla to follow the model of ICE car mfgr. I'd bet you very likely had "not being an ICE car" in your decision tree to invest in a Tesla in 2016 as an early adopter in a still new car company. Tesla does not play the ICE game of a new model year with a few cosmetic changes and new pricing. Their model is to make constant improvements and push them out via software updates immediately. Yes, this requires a new way of thinking about cars. But, again, everything about Tesla is a new way of doing things. Yes, you may miss things by buying one week vs the next, but, you will also have continuous improvements to the car you do own. Enjoy the terrific things about your car and don't worry about what other people have. You'll own another car some day and it will be more awesome than this one. The rate of technological change means Teslas are rapidly changing and that will continue. Instant innovation has some frustrations, but, overall, it is a vastly better mousetrap in my opinion.

Not sure folks are complaining about the latest OTA updates. More likely the new hardware.
Q. Are the AP1/MobilEye folks getting their Autopilot improved?
At some point, the older versions do get neglected.

We're told the Mobileye code has been the same since 2016, which wouldn't be surprising, considering.

As an owner, I can tell you that as late as last fall we were still seeing improvements in how the car performed on edge cases as the firmware updates progressed, though some of the folks with access to the firmware claim that's not possible. My assumption is Tesla was still tweaking the non Mobileye side of the code.

I don't really expect to see much more improvement from here, though. The future is clearly AP3 - one more reason to think about upgrading.

Reactions: scsmx
Wow. We have an MX100D and a P3D. We love both but I really do prefer the M3 dash vs the MX - easier simpler and better visibility. I don’t hate the MX dash just a preference so no “God Awful” from me

I'm in a huge dilemma to decide if I should get a used 2018 MX 75D or a brand new M3P (similar priced). Given that you have both, which one would you keep if you could only keep one?

I'm in a huge dilemma to decide if I should get a used 2018 MX 75D or a brand new M3P (similar priced). Given that you have both, which one would you keep if you could only keep one?
I have both. Definitely get the X, though make sure you find one with MCU2. If not that's a massive dealbreaker. Don't settle in the middle by getting an S (Unless you need the range/road trip frequently).

Reactions: Nrazar