Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X and S Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve got a 2017 HW2 100D that’s held onto nearly all it’s 295 miles of range...but I’m awfully tempted with this offer.

The ludicrous mode is one thing of course, but there are other changes that would be really nice. For example, I really wish my X had the quieter, “softer closing” door latches in the front doors. I also wish I had the new sheet metal where the FWDs close (to avoid rubbing paint). Two stupid things - but I notice them every day. And that says nothing of things like MCU2, HW3, overall better build quality, etc.

I shot a message to my Sales Advisor (is he still employed there???) to check on trade-in values for my X. I think the 2170 cells are a 2020 change at the earliest. And I don’t discount the fact that, depending on how much influence the Model 3 has on the new interior/exterior refresh, I WON’T like it. The current design is a known quantity that I think is quite stunning, especially compared to that God-awful front end of the Model 3.

The ONLY negative I see to making the upgrade now is not getting the CCS port built into the car and hoping Tesla makes an adapter that doesn’t compromise charge speeds. Otherwise, this is a great deal IMO.
Wow. We have an MX100D and a P3D. We love both but I really do prefer the M3 dash vs the MX - easier simpler and better visibility. I don’t hate the MX dash just a preference so no “God Awful” from me

I have got July '18 75D with 237 miles range.

I have been always wanting the performance version. With Free Ludicrous option current offer is even more compelling. But performance version is coming with the cost of 20 miles less in range compare to LR :(

Going with LR I would gain 88 miles more range from my current X, which would help with less charging stops on my TX to North East trip planning in the summer. With Performance I would only gain 68 miles, which I am not happy about.

Although I am not seriously thinking to upgrade (due too much depreciation on the year one) I am curious to get some numbers from Tesla, CarMax, Carvana, etc... Let me see if I can make some trips over the weekend.

I have been always wanting the performance version. With Free Ludicrous option current offer is even more compelling. But performance version is coming with the cost of 20 miles less in range compare to LR :(

Going with LR I would gain 88 miles more range from my current X, which would help with less charging stops on my TX to North East trip planning in the summer. With Performance I would only gain 68 miles, which I am not happy about.

Although I am not seriously thinking to upgrade (due too much depreciation on the year one) I am curious to get some numbers from Tesla, CarMax, Carvana, etc... Let me see if I can make some trips over the weekend.

A performance car on the hard, LRR all season tires the others come with will probably come pretty close to the same range as the LR, and you won't spend nearly as much on rubber - assuming you can resist using the torque. There's a little extra weight and possibly a little more drag in the motor/gears, but I think most of the difference is in the tires.

Of course, that'll trade away a significant part of the neck snapping initial bite...

• Informative
Reactions: Xminus6

I am interested to know how much carmax or other car buyer will offer. Tesla won't offer good for trade in - i have that experience before.

Has anyone seen any clarification for charge rates for current 100D's built prior to today? The Motor Trend article mentions that charge rates will be increased via OTA, but the Tesla post does not. Since it is the same battery chemistry, can a 100D built late last year handle the higher V2 and 200Kw V3 rates? Or is it a hardware change in the newer S/X to allow for it?
I got 2019.12.1 update last night and the release note says up to 150 kw supercharging rate

I got 2019.12.1 update last night and the release note says up to 150 kw supercharging rate
Forgot to attach the photo. IMG_0306.jpeg

Reactions: Red5StandingBy
Glad I'm not the only one. Pulled up my timeline on an X from June to take advantage of the reduced price before the purported ~3% increase on March 19th. Well, the price didn't actually go up on the X after that, and now the same config costs $3k less due to included autopilot, plus it's longer range + charges faster. Feeling pretty duped right about now...

I think the main reason it stings is that these changes are launched with seemingly arbitrary timing and no semi-reliable advance notice (though this particular announcement happening the day before earnings is unlikely to be a coincidence), so it's impossible to make an informed decision, and there's no consolation to those who picked a bad time to buy. With other products, you have a regular upgrade cadence, like smartphones or traditional cars where the new version is released around the same time each year and the previous model gets more and more discounted as you approach and pass the launch date. So you at least have the choice of trying to score a deal or waiting to see what the next generation will bring. But in this case, you're just rolling the dice as to whether you'll get the last in the line of a soon-to-be outdated generation. If you're unfortunate and an announcement drops for a significant upgrade at no additional cost the day after your return window closes, then too bad and better luck next time.

Tesla's approach here just doesn't sit right with me; it seems short-sighted and haphazard. There's something to be said for setting expectations with buyers rather than surprising them, which in the worst case leaves them sitting on the sidelines indefinitely. There are a number of ways Tesla could go about this differently to smooth out the transition. Like giving a 2 week lead time between announcement and launch, combined with a modest price premium on the latest and greatest that phases out over time (maybe tick/tock for product/pricing changes?). This would give Tesla a margin boost from early adopters, and the others get some semblance of choice and control. Sure, do iterative improvements to small things whenever, but save the big updates - significant range/performance boosts, styling makeovers, etc. - to something like once or twice a year, on a regular schedule, and introduce it in an orderly fashion, and customers would appreciate it more. Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the matter. Still doesn't do anything to make me feel better about the present situation, though.

Couldn't agree more with the well-stated captioned post.

Same as with my 9/30/2016 S75 that became relatively obsolete 10 days later with introduction of the V2 AP to my surprise and chagrin.
There's No entry point to buy a new car and the "old" ones crater in value with the new ones constantly updated, but probably not well tested. Coming out with a yearly model incorporating many thoroughly tested upgrades would be much better - at least you have one year of the latest technology, a better, more validated product, and customers that don't feel that you can't trust Tesla to take advantage of them again. Read: can you say, 2170 cells for the flagship S and X? You can discount the "year-old" models to avoid the bitterness of being taken advantage of - like Animal House, it's your own fault for trusting us.

It does leave a bad taste in your mouth, and you do feel "had". Obviously, you don't feel good referring friends - I sent 3 people that bought cars between the time of my order, delivery, and the realization that not waiting 2 weeks for AP 2.0 was a huge mistake.There was no further referrals afterwards - not that anyone at Tesla cares although I complained to anyone that would listen to no avail. The implications for a long-term negative outlook are obvious.

Welp, I feel screwed.

I bought this car less than a month ago, less than 500miles on the car. Now autopilot is free, now the models come with longer battery, better suspension, and faster charging.. I picked the long distance tesla for that very reason, now its over 70 miles longer in less than a month of receiving my model. I thought i was buying a 2019 model, not to feel outdated in less than a month. Feel like I bought a brand new outdated car.

I feel your pain! Same thing happened to me. Delivered end of March, only 1,200 miles. Arrrggggg!!!

I would guess yes, you will get new hardware.

When it goes to build, go to your account, go to manage order and right click the link "view spec".

Select copy link text. Paste that in notepad or similar. You should see a load of 4 digit option codes.

The option codes you are looking for I believe are DU03 and SU03.

The current hardware is SU01 and DU01.

I placed my order March 17th, it went into production March 21st and I haven't taken delivery yet. It was in production for a lonnng time (over a week), but that may have been just a glitch in their tracking of my vehicle or on the website. Anyway, my codes appear to be DU00 and SU01.

What does that mean then? I have (very) old hardware in my new car that I haven't accepted yet?

I'm thinking of not accepting it or returning it... whatever is required to get out of it. This really sucks. I already had a bad delivery experience with an X delivered in poor condition back in December and returned it. I'd really like to get the latest upgrades (and FSD chip), but I feel cringey about returning a second X. When the return policy is so generous though and they release fairly significant upgrades in this manner, it's hard not to want to get out of it and just place a new order. I am spending a lot after all.

I placed my order March 17th, it went into production March 21st and I haven't taken delivery yet. It was in production for a lonnng time (over a week), but that may have been just a glitch in their tracking of my vehicle or on the website. Anyway, my codes appear to be DU00 and SU01.

What does that mean then? I have (very) old hardware in my new car that I haven't accepted yet?

I'm thinking of not accepting it or returning it... whatever is required to get out of it. This really sucks. I already had a bad delivery experience with an X delivered in poor condition back in December and returned it. I'd really like to get the latest upgrades (and FSD chip), but I feel cringey about returning a second X. When the return policy is so generous though and they release fairly significant upgrades in this manner, it's hard not to want to get out of it and just place a new order. I am spending a lot after all.
I would wait and get a new one

Reactions: Arcadian

You have to do what's right for you. They have calculated what they feel is the risk/cost of you canceling/refusing into the price of the non-refundable deposit you'll presumably lose when you cancel.

Reactions: Arcadian
2016 August Model S75D A month later V2 came out. But I did my research on Tesla and knew this might happen. So, I did not feel "had" or cheated in any way. And 2 1/2 years later my V1 S is still just as good with Ap as V2. For several months V2 Ap was terrible with plenty of complaints. It's caught up now and can do more than V1 bt, it took a long while. Of course, I leased for this very reason. I wonder what else Tesla will have up their sleeve by August? :)

I'm in a similar situation (confirmed, no production yet) and since today by specs were updated from 01 to 03:

DU03 Drive Unit - PMSRM
SU03 Adaptive Suspension

Still not in production however, so very curious what will happen, especially since some of my options (CF interior with ventilated seats) have been discontinued.
Unicorn!

Tesla has turned the model x and s into a entry level model with a luxury price. They have taken away the ability to configure the interior to ones liking. For the price we should be able to configure the color of the leather, headliner and choose the dash material to ones liking.

I would love to upgrade, but the loss of unlimited supercharging, sunroof, and lack of an appealing interior will keep me in my P90D a bit longer

FWIW, I contacted Tesla today to discuss unlimited supercharging and whether they were still honoring an "off menu" 3 year unlimited supercharging benefit for previous owners. According to the person I spoke with, they are no longer extending that offer.

They were unable to answer my questions about efficiency improvements with the new motor over the power curve, though.

Wow. We have an MX100D and a P3D. We love both but I really do prefer the M3 dash vs the MX - easier simpler and better visibility. I don’t hate the MX dash just a preference so no “God Awful” from me

I rather like the clean look of the M3 dash. I don’t like the M3 front end. The rounded bumper without the narrow opening where the Tesla logo appears on the S and X just looks too weird to me. It’s never grown on me, even years removed from the reveal!