Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sharing my experience with Tesla model X 100 D - June 2018 build quality.
Live in South California
Car had 17 issues when I took delivery which Telsa fixed over the next 3 months.
Latest issue is that my car squeaks from somewhere in the back and it is intermittent. Recorded the noise on my phone and played it back to Tesla representative. Got a service appointment after waiting for 2 months and then they said they fixed it, but it is still there. Trying to get another appointment to get it fixed...I have to wait another month and a half :-( ... For a car that is $120 K.. this is just sad..

Hi Indian King,

Say more... Where is it? Rear left? Rear right? Rear Center???

An unusual noise many of us had on 2018 builds is the second row seating rubbing against the Falcon Wing Doors
on the Passenger Side... There is a 1/4" gap between the upholstery on the driver's side and the wood on the FWD.
I do not how they came to touch but it can make some odd - squeak, creak, and rattle sounds...

Check it out.... See the pictures...

Tesla Driver side.jpg

Tesla Passenger.jpg

Shawn

• Helpful
Reactions: spectrum
I have a march 2018 75D and did not have any issues at delivery. However, I have had a few squeaks and rattles that needed to get fixed. I had a rattle coming from the passenger door speaker, that was fixed by mobile service. I have had a squeak coming from the middle row passenger seat that was fixed in January but came back. Had the service center fix it again last week. They charged me $150 to diagnose it, said they fixed it, and said they no longer fix noise complaints for free after 12,500 miles ( we are over 14,000). Other than the squeaks and rattles, I don't have any quality complaints. I had an ongoing problem with the voice command button not working, that turned out to be a problem with the airbag pinching a wire in the steering column. That hasn't bothered me, I feel that falls into normal tolerance for quality issues since its really been the only problem. I do wish there were fewer squeaks and rattles, but overall I am very pleased with the car.

An unusual noise many of us had on 2018 builds is the second row seating rubbing against the Falcon Wing Doors
on the Passenger Side... There is a 1/4" gap between the upholstery on the driver's side and the wood on the FWD.
I do not how they came to touch but it can make some odd - squeak, creak, and rattle sounds...

Shawn

Interesting. How do you fix that?

I also have a June 2018. When I first got it, I noticed that the car drifted to the left ever so slightly. So I asked the SC to align it, which they did under warranty. Since then I have not found any other problem at all. No squeaks, rattles, no malfunctions at all. Flawless has been my experience. Over 18000 miles later, it has never been back in the SC at all, even the alignment is still spot on. With the software improvements that have come along in the last year, the car is arguably better now than when I first got it. It even supercharges faster!

Reactions: Badmonk
Hi Kkicinski,

I temporarily put an adhesive patch of UHMWPE (slippery plastic) on the seat to make it pass freely over the wood insert in the door.
I am going to try to add a bit of Krytox GPL 205 teflon lubricant to the area to see if it allows movement without sound.
Remember the FWD are massive sound chambers and will amplify anything/everything that happens in or on them.
Krytox GPL 205 will arrive tomorrow from Amazon... (I give the details because there are about 12 varieties of Krytox.)

Shawn

(Live in South California
Car had 17 issues when I took delivery which Telsa fixed over the next 3 months.
Latest issue is that my car squeaks from somewhere in the back and it is intermittent. Recorded the noise on my phone...)

Our Tesla center identified my squeaks, which sounded like it was in rear of vehicle, as needing new front struts.
It resolved the squeaks TOTALLY!

Reactions: jboy210
Hi Indian King,

Say more... Where is it? Rear left? Rear right? Rear Center???

Check it out.... See the pictures...

View attachment 416020

View attachment 416021

Shawn
Hi Badmonk

I am not sure where the squeaks are coming from. Everytime I accelerate, it sounds as if metal is being stretched. When if go over small rough roads there is squeak that keeps happening. I will try and upload a video that I recorded the irritating squeak. They tightened the second row seat and it reduced the squeak, but did not eliminate it. The squeaks and rattles are not consistent. They happen more when I have the car parked outside vs in garage. I hope the NVH team in Tesla can figure out what the issues are and fix them. There is shuddering when I brake as well and Tesla service centre told me that they are modifying the drive shafts to solve the problem and I will get them when they release them.. No date so far.

April 2018 MX custom spec brand new here. £110K. No problems whatsoever.

Hate to say this, but if I travel first class/business there are those people who just enjoy the flight and there are those who complain about every single thing thinking the world owes them a living........

Just saying :)
Lucky you. You may have got a good piece and I got a poor one :-(

BTW, I do travel business and I just am happy. However with my Tesla... there are real issues. I do not sweat small stuff... :)

I am curious what were the 17 issues at delivery?
1) Left and right garnish do not meet bumper - gap of nealy .5 inch
2) Spine appliqe has poor fitment and they had to replace it
3) Rear view mirror was scratched
4) Paint was damaged on the front fender
5) Steering wheel not centered
6) Car was pulling to one side (left)
7) Rear trunk lock was scratched
8) Dry paint particles on the inside of the left of the trunk - patch of nearly a square foot
9) Steering wheel buttons not working
10) Paint chipped on right fender
11) The glass on the side camera was scratched
12) Frunk alignment was poor and they had to replace it....
13) Radio was not working - they fixed antenna
14) Rubber seals on the left door was bad and so windnoise
15) Rubber seals on the right falcon wing poor causing windnoise
16) Roof seal poor- causing high wind noise
17) Rubber seals on the right door were poor causing high wind noises.

Tesla fixed all of these issues - just took 3 months and several visits to do it. For the first 90 days, my car was with Tesla for 57 days !

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
This is almost a perfect synopsis of the kind of complaints we read daily here on TMC. Other than items 9 and 13, everything else is a subjective cosmetic complaint. The fact that Tesla made a good faith effort to help on this laundry list says volumes about how hard Tesla tries to make things right. Thanks for publishing this list: restores my faith in Tesla and that this site is indeed where the whiners come to endlessly whine about their first world problems.

Other than items 9 and 13, everything else is a subjective cosmetic complaint.
I disagree: Everything on this list was a solid complaint. You and Tesla cannot throw around the "cosmetic" word as a basis of dismissal of expected quality.

These cars are not tractors. They are very expensive and should come from the factory in just about perfect condition. If the owner chooses to abuse them then that is their privilege. That right is not passed to Tesla.

Lucky you. You may have got a good piece and I got a poor one :-(

BTW, I do travel business and I just am happy. However with my Tesla... there are real issues. I do not sweat small stuff... :)

Sorry then you have had problems. Like you said, you may just have got a model unluckily with more faults that shouldn’t be there. Hope you get them all sorted and have a long and happy time driving your Tesla :)

This is almost a perfect synopsis of the kind of complaints we read daily here on TMC. Other than items 9 and 13, everything else is a subjective cosmetic complaint. The fact that Tesla made a good faith effort to help on this laundry list says volumes about how hard Tesla tries to make things right. Thanks for publishing this list: restores my faith in Tesla and that this site is indeed where the whiners come to endlessly whine about their first world problems.
That's ridiculous. The types of problems listed by the OP wouldn't even be acceptable on a $30K Toyota or Honda. And, the amount of time in the shop is appalling. If someone w/a new $30K Honda or Toyota experienced those issues and you blew them off saying they were "subjective cosmetic complaints" and they should should live with it while under their 3 year/36K basic warranty, I bet you 99+% of those drivers would disagree with you.

It would seem to suggest that it's even less acceptable on a new $100K+ vehicle. The OP bought a new vehicle that was under warranty, not something that was many years old and out of warranty. The fact that it had those 17 issues at delivery time says something about their assembly quality, quality control and pre-delivery inspection process.

Last edited:
Our November 2018 build has had four issues

1) front window squealing when there is high humidity of rain
2) falcon wing doors detecting phantom objects when it’s hot - left
3) falcon wing doors detecting phantom objects when it’s hot - right
4) falcon wing doors not opening at all - no object detected

For 2 and 3, I was told by the service center that since our car is a dark color, it gets especially warm and the sensor adhesive separates from the door.

Each of these happened consistently on numerous occasions—- including incidents with friends in the car so the embarrassment factor was also high. Imagine telling your passengers in the back seat to climb over the console to exit through the front.

What a frustrating experience for such an expensive new car.

Sorry Posity, but I respectfully disagree. I have worked in the automotive industry for more than 13 years and was involved in creation of the Prius - a technological revolution of its time like Tesla of more recent times. The issues that I mention are, as one of the other memmbers said, not acceptable even in a $30K car. The time it takes Tesla to resolve issues is also a lot. This has nothing to do with whining or any first world problem. I hope they improve. I am not sure I have seen the latest Model 3 quality first hand, but I plan to visit the service centre soon to check.
And I still have my Tesla squeaking all over the place on South California roads.

Reactions: kqnjml
How would you like to move into a brand new home built by a reputable builder and find broken window, leaky faucets, mismatched paints,etc. There’s a level of competence every consumer expects from any manufacturer. It’s not a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd world issues. People need to stop throwing those term around. These are definite legitimate issues the OP brought up. You should thank him for raising the red flag for Tesla to improve on their quality control. Don’t bash the guy for spending months getting it fixed.