TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model X Canadian seatbelts?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hingisfan, Dec 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

I just test drove a Model X with the white seats (so awesome), but I noticed the buttons to release the seatbelts were white as well. I thought we were like most countries in Europe and these buttons had to be red. I'm pretty sure they all are in the S's. Can anyone explain? Is your X seatbelt button red or seat colour? I'm just curious, it doesn't really matter, but it sure looks sweet with the white seats to have all white buckles too.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Canadian law requires the seat belt buttons to be red.

Did it have manufacturer plates on it? If so I believe they don't have to be fully compliant. Or if it had US plates.

3. hingisfan

I'm not sure about the plates.... I asked my test drive guy but he told me all the Xs are like that. That didn't sound right to me, but the one in the showroom was like that as well.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Not a "passenger car" so exempted?

• Funny x 1
  5. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

I noticed the same beige buttons on the X in the Lawrence showroom about 2 weeks ago.

6. hingisfan

Yes that's the one I saw today in the showroom.

The white seats are very impressive. Look fantastic, super comfortable, and super soft.

7. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

When cornering with these cars, one tends to get White Nuckles as well.

• Funny x 2
  8. green1

green1 Active Member

Every X I have seen has upholstery coloured buttons. Showroom vehicles, customer vehicles, demo vehicles, doesn't matter.

Tesla decided that there was no requirement to make them red. I can't speak for if they are right or not.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It's possible that the vehicle is a "light truck"; the rules for trucks are different than passenger cars. It's one of the reasons why SUVs are often not as safe as people might expect.

10. green1

green1 Active Member

#10 green1, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Ok, I just spent way more time than is justified for this particular issue actually looking through the Transport Canada Technical Standards Document for Seat Belt Assemblies (TSD 209 Rev R if you're curious) as well as the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (C.R.C., c.1038)

It appears that as of June 19 2013 (when this TSD came in to effect) there is no colour requirement for seatbelt latches in Canada. Now it's possible it's mentioned elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find it, and this seems like the likely place for it. I suspect that's one of the items they've talked about previously in "aligning our rules with the USA" that seems like a slow and never ending process (in fact the cover page specifically states that it is based on the US FMVSS)

Likely the S just hasn't caught up yet as it was introduced before this came in to effect.

• Informative x 1
  11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Ah, interesting. So it was true when I bought my car, but now it isn't.