Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X consumption on 22inch versus 20inch, not all that bad.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First bit of 'warm' weather in UK, 57f, 50 miles or so today going around the city running errands. I estimate consumption to be around 5-10% worse than on 20s, probably closer to the 5% mark though, so really no big deal :).

46770498124_b97ed5afd1_b.jpg

We drive way faster in the us than you do, we are also much bigger. The extra 20 miles could mean sitting or getting home

Speed wouldn't matter, as 20 or 22s consumption goes up equally. Your braver than me if your pushing arrival limits to sub 20 miles.

If want ultimate range Model 3 RWD LR on aeros is the forwards. No X could get anywhere near that kind of range/efficiency, but going from 20->22, for 5-10% less range that's wouldnt be a killer most people.

I've seen people say going to 22s drop range by 20%+, thats just rubbish, I recon on a long run its about 6-7% max.

Got 121 mile trip tomorrow, so will report back.

• Disagree
Reactions: Peteybabes
At 60-65mph on 22s, at 46F so not that warm, just over 3 miles per kWh. 30 minute traffic jam just 15 miles from the house was a pain but sad reality of UK Motorway driving, even on a Sunday. AP was great though.

Got two 150 mile trips coming up next week, really no issues with range on 22s even for a 75D X :).

47508411111_20820aae24_b.jpg

40542525273_db4d5b0161_b.jpg

Its reading these posts that put me off putting on the 22s for nearly 12 months!!!

But my own personal experience over now nearly 1k of usage is on short city trips the 22s are about 10% worse for consumption, but 50 miles+ trips at steady speed the difference in consumption is not much more than 5%.

Am very happy with range on the 22s, will be putting the 20s back on in winter.

But my own personal experience over now nearly 1k of usage is on short city trips the 22s are about 10% worse for consumption, but 50 miles+ trips at steady speed the difference in consumption is not much more than 5%.
i've seen 15+% decrease a 80 MPH vs 75 MPH on a 186 mile virtually straight west stretch of I-70 from Columbus OH (columbus airport) to Indianapolis IN (Indy supercharger south side of indy)

50+ miles drive, what speeds did you maintain for those trips?

50+ miles drive, what speeds did you maintain for those trips?

UK speed limit on dual carriageways is 70mph, I tend to cruise at 65mph (in any car). But it's rare to be able to do more than 30miles in one stretch without coming across traffic, road works (50mph limit), etc which slows you down. So even if you drive at 80mph all you end up doing is getting to the next slow section quicker.

Google Maps gives surprisingly accurate travel times, at 65mph cruising speed I pretty much match the Google predictions.

Back to consumption on 22s, warmer weather and even local short trips are showing surprisingly low energy usage. These figures are again only about 5-10% more than what I would expect on 20s.

46792634074_bcb372b69d_b.jpg

UK speed limit on dual carriageways is 70mph, I tend to cruise at 65mph (in any car). But it's rare to be able to do more than 30miles in one stretch without coming across traffic, road works (50mph limit), etc which slows you down. So even if you drive at 80mph all you end up doing is getting to the next slow section quicker.

Google Maps gives surprisingly accurate travel times, at 65mph cruising speed I pretty much match the Google predictions.

Back to consumption on 22s, warmer weather and even local short trips are showing surprisingly low energy usage. These figures are again only about 5-10% more than what I would expect on 20s.

That's the difference then...we go for 100 miles or more with the occasional left lane hog (right lane for you :) ) which may slow me down 10 MPH, but relatively event free...

when i drove from Heathrow to chippenham we went 80-100 mph and then 60-80 the last few miles on the back roads.

when i drove from Heathrow to chippenham we went 80-100 mph and then 60-80 the last few miles on the back roads.

You did a sustained 100 mph on the M4, and 80 in a 60 Zone?? Last time I went to Heathrow we couldn't get over 40mph on the M25.

But if you do hit those speeds on UK roads your a braver man than me. Pretty much half of the M25 is also now covered by cameras, even my dad and my inlaws have all got tickets for 60 in 50 variable M way speed limit zones. 80 in a 60 zone will also push you close to the automatic ban territory.

Clearly if your doing those speeds consumption will be through the roof, and I suspect it makes no difference if your on 22s or 20s, any X doing 100mph will be eating pretty close to 1kWh per mile.

Last edited:
You did a sustained 100 mph on the M4, and 80 in a 60 Zone?? Last time I went to Heathrow we couldn't get over 40mph on the M25.

But if you do hit those speeds on UK roads your a braver man than me. Pretty much half of the M25 is also now covered by cameras, even my dad and my inlaws have all got tickets for 60 in 50 variable M way speed limit zones. 80 in a 60 zone will also push you close to the automatic ban territory.

Clearly if your doing those speeds consumption will be through the roof, and I suspect it makes no difference if your on 22s or 20s, any X doing 100mph will be eating pretty close to 1kWh per mile.
this was actually not in a tesla, but i was just trying to find an example of 60+ minutes of sustained high speed in the uk. these were evening runs so traffic was lighter.

this was actually not in a tesla, but i was just trying to find an example of 60+ minutes of sustained high speed in the uk. these were evening runs so traffic was lighter.

Completely off topic but the terms high speed and UK simply doesn't exist in real life. My overall average speed for the last 12 months cannot be more than 25-30mph.

You have to be lucky/stupid/brave to get anywhere near the speeds your talking about especially around the M25/M4. As I've said 81 in 60 is a ban, 101 on the Motorway the same, plus 1 weeks wages as a fine, doing those kind of speeds in the UK really is like writing a blank cheque to the local traffic officers.

Personally I like having a clean license, insurance costs were/are the most expensive bit of keeping the Tesla on the road. A few points on the license or a ban will double the cost, not to mention the actual fine.

• Funny
Reactions: Peteybabes
Actually just checked latest speeding fines in the UK. 101 in a 70 zone and it now 125-175% weekly post income tax/NI.

Assuming most Tesla owners are near the 6 figure income braket, thats £2k+ before additional cost of insurance increase.

You can absolutely drive as fast you like in the UK when the traffic isn't there, but just don't moan when your asked to pay for the pleasure of seeing a three digit number on the speedo on public roads :).

UK speeding fines 2018 – what are the latest penalties for drivers?

Actually just checked latest speeding fines in the UK. 101 in a 70 zone and it now 125-175% weekly post income tax/NI.

Assuming most Tesla owners are near the 6 figure income braket, thats £2k+ before additional cost of insurance increase.

You can absolutely drive as fast you like in the UK when the traffic isn't there, but just don't moan when your asked to pay for the pleasure of seeing a three digit number on the speedo on public roads :).

UK speeding fines 2018 – what are the latest penalties for drivers?

thankfully the driver was a "local" and must have known the hotspots or 11pm was too late for the cops?

these guys were crazy and when we popped over to Italy we drove 230KMH in our rental car and were blasting through the average speed camera's. each time we passed a camera they'd say "business expense"! lol

thankfully the driver was a "local" and must have known the hotspots or 11pm was too late for the cops?

these guys were crazy and when we popped over to Italy we drove 230KMH in our rental car and were blasting through the average speed camera's. each time we passed a camera they'd say "business expense"! lol

European speed fines are different, I believe most are just fines. In which case if you can afford it than its no big deal.

The UK combination of fine AND points on the licence (plus disqualification) makes its a whole different game. The UK government is also on a drive to install speed cameras every 5-10 miles on the ENTIRE UK highway network. Cameras already cover about 40% of my 100 mile drive into London!!

However if you have access to the right lawyers and enough cash you can make any speeding fine 'disappear', I've worked with people who have 'got away' with been caught driving under the influence multiple times thanks mainly to lawyers. Normally drink driving is treated as worse than doing 100mph in a 30 zone.

But I like my clean license and in 20 years of driving have only had one speeding ticket 36 mph on 30 zone. So I can only speculate how sustained 80mph+ speeds can affect consumption on 22s versus 20s on UK roads :).

Last edited: