TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X consumption on 22inch versus 20inch, not all that bad.

Discussion in 'Model X' started by gangzoom, Mar 15, 2019.

1. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

I've been running around in on 20inch shoed Xs for the last 30k or so. I have a set of referral 22inchers waiting to go on the car since last summer, but all the stories of HUGE consumption put me off fitting the wheels...

However today just as we were about to set off on a 160 mile trip the tyre pressure indicator appeared!!!

Despite having decent amount of tread left, the tyre was dead, and the 22inchers made an early appearance.

I have to say regardless of consumption the X looks fab on 22s :).

[​IMG]

So with the new boots off we went on a tour of UK motorways in Friday traffic, I set the max speed to 68mph, and about 1/3 of the trip was straight into a headwind with gusts of 40mph and rain, but I during traffic free stretches I noticed the energy use wasn't all much more than on 20s.

[​IMG]

The final consumption wasn't all that bad, especially given the conditions.

[​IMG]

Infact the consumption was virtually identical to the same trip done earlier this year in similar conditions. The time difference between the two trips was due to stationary traffic rather than speed.

[​IMG]

I recon in urban commute the range on 22s will be far worse than 20s, but long distance range appears to be not much more than 5% worse.

By the end of this weekend we'll have covered another 400 miles, so will be interesting to see what the final figures are like. But initial impression are good, and going from 20 to 23s is no way nearly as bad as I feared:).

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. DustWindDude

DustWindDude Member

This is great information. Thanks for sharing. My MX is on the way with 22s, and I have been a little nervous about the increased consumption reports. I opted for style in this regard, though, as 1) I don't commute that much since I mainly work from home, 2) there are plenty of Superchargers along routes that I might use for long distance travel.

3. snjoetw

snjoetw Member

That's good to know! which model do you have?

4. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

If you can keep you highway speeds close to 65mph, 350 Wh/mile is doable on the 22's. But at 75mph, it's more like 450 Wh/mile.

• Like x 1
  5. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

75D

6. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

Speed over 65mph is the range killer, 20 or 22 wheels, temp, wind none of that matters compared to speed. At 70mph things are still ok, but if you push up to 80mph forget it, be prepared to stop.

• Like x 2
  7. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Exactly. Fine for local driving but gotta be careful on long road trips. At California highway speeds, my 257 mile rated range is more like 200 miles or less when factoring in 10% buffer.

8. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

9. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

that's true on 20" too. I did 198 miles yesterday starting with 260 rated miles, I arrived with 15 and I was not even particularly pushing it too hard since I knew I needed almost 100% charge to actually not worry about anything. Instead of usual 85-90 I was forced to stay at 80 or below while the thing kept nagging me to "Stay below 75 to reach your destination".

• Like x 1
  10. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

the difference between 75 and 80 mph was 25 miles range for me on the exact westbound columbus oh to indianapolis in test i did...

11. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

#11 verygreen, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    here are the graphs, these are "there and back" legs of a roundtrip. no superhigh elevation change between the points.

I started the trip there at 260 rated miles, went at 80-85mph and the whole trip was 199 miles, dry conditions. ~420wh/mi
    85mph.png

On the way back I only had 247 miles of rated range (no time to charge to the full), also it was night (= headlights on) and pouring rain in a thunderstorm (the periods of low speed are due to this - you cannot see anything at all - made for interesting autopilot footage).
    I mostly went for 70 and then 75mph as I got closer and it was clear I will make it. Average consumption for this leg ended up being 343Wh/mi. Trip took like 10-15 minutes more than estimated due to lower speed (so not worth it to do the car-suggested 15 minutes supercharger stop).
    75mph.png

Edit: when traveling I have this rule of thumb to estimate if I will make it or not (outside of the car predictor of arrival SoC that is not detailed enough):
    consider your actual distance and then remaining rated miles left. the difference between the two is how much you can exceed the rated miles (know rated miles wh/mi for your car!). So for my X100D rated wh/mi is 332. 200/260 = 0.769, 332/0.769 = 431 Wh/mi. So that's my absolute top possible consumption to make it. I set my target at 420 in my mind to have some buffer.

Reset your "trip A" at the start if you are not coming from a charging session (last charging is it otherwise) and monitor the average rate not to go above it. This is in addition to energy meter obviously starying below (but energy meter is only for last 30 miles. So you can go for periods of higher consumption as long as you have periods of lower consumption too - that's why on the macro level you use the trip data and on local level you use the energy meter. If your energy meter never goes above the top consumption - you know you are good to go, if it does - need to doublecheck on the trip aggregate. Also learned to ignore the "lower sped to XXX to reach your destination" nags as it's basically trying to ensure you arrive with 5% buffer (15 miles on X100D) which is not always desirable if you know your route well.

On the trip it helps to keep a mental note if the difference between the rated miles left and actual miles left is decreasing in absolute terms or not. If it's not decreasing too rapidly - that's another good proxy to know you are doing everything correctly (the remaining SoC percentage at arrival sort of does it for you too)

After you do a couple of trips like that you also can use a better route planner more optimally though it does require some mental math so probably is not for everybody ;)

• Helpful x 1
  12. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

This is NOT what I've found thought on a long distance trip.

If going from 20 to 22s really increased consumption at higher speeds by 22%, I would have 100% needed to stop yesterday. Instead I arrived with almost identical consumption on 22s as I did on 20s.

For city driving am 100% sure 22s are awful for consumption, but who cares about range for city driving.....

I've got plenty more long drives to do next few days so will report back :).

13. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

Horrendous weather on the return trip today, ended up stopping 2/3 or the way to top up at a SC which was directly enroute.

Consumption on the return trip overall was 8% worse, am pretty sure 90% of that was due to the conditions. 20s same conditons would have been better, but not that much.

Hopefully will get more chance to test road trip consumption in normal road conditions next few days.

[​IMG]