Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Continuing AC issues - What to do?

What should I do?

• Buyback and a New Tesla X

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Buyback and Something Else

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Keep the current X and give them "one more chance"

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Buy a second X to use wile the first one is in the shop (Joke fanboi answer, I'm not rich enough)

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received my New X a couple of weeks ago. They are much better than the early ‘16 version I have. FiT-finish, doors, latches all better and we’re really happy we went with the center console.

Btw: if you have a gen 1 HPWC, get the service mgr to throw in a Gen2 HPWC for free.

I have (i think) the Gen 2 (It has power sharing... i think that was the difference and remember it being "new" when i got it back in early '17). You find the console was a good choice? We did it knowing that its fairly easily removed and covered with a mat. In our car the rear seats get kids, but they dont mind waiting for the seats to tilt to climb in (Car seats in the middle), so we don't think Access with the console will be an issue, more just is there still leg room, etc. back there (looks like the console tapers so there is). As for getting extra's, we ended up being well taken care of for the trouble on that front. Like i said, someone at Tesla decided they really cared about making us happy.

The AC just went out this morning on our less than two month old Model X. Blowing hot air and we live in the desert. I tried a hard reset twice without change. I went online to make a service appointment only to find out the earliest appointment is Sept. 20th. Is there any other options for AC service?

Reactions: 1 person
The AC just went out this morning on our less than two month old Model X. Blowing hot air and we live in the desert. I tried a hard reset twice without change. I went online to make a service appointment only to find out the earliest appointment is Sept. 20th. Is there any other options for AC service?

Over a month?? Unfortunately I don't know if any A/C repair place will be able to get to the unit. Can't you escalate it to get a loaner if they have to make you wait?

The car industry should have regulations as to both the distance between service centers and the time it takes to get a car looked at (with or without loaners.)

Mush a while back (Musk time) said his priority (among others) was to build 3x more service centers. Anyone know what progress has been made?

(And I am not one for regulation.)

Reactions: 1 person

Tell Tesla that you can't drive the car without AC (dangerously hot, risk of heat related illness etc.) and they either need to fix it promptly or pay for a portable 12V AC unit.

12V / 24V air conditioning systems

Over a month?? Unfortunately I don't know if any A/C repair place will be able to get to the unit. Can't you escalate it to get a loaner if they have to make you wait?
Update with the AC. Today, I took my MX to the SC at 7:30am and I was back on the road at 7:40am with a Model S loaner. Within an hour I looked at my app, and they had it in the service bay, doors open working on the AC. I was worried that they wouldn't get to it with all the new cars in line to be prepped for delivery. This is my first issue with the car, and so far I'm impressed with Tesla customer service.

OP, I think you’re getting a pretty good deal. I did a buy back on a BMW once & they handled it a lot like a lease return - I had 5 days from their offer to surrender the car. There was also no talk of a discount or expedited order on another BMW. I think that’s not an uncommon experience in the auto industry.

OP, I think you’re getting a pretty good deal. I did a buy back on a BMW once & they handled it a lot like a lease return - I had 5 days from their offer to surrender the car. There was also no talk of a discount or expedited order on another BMW. I think that’s not an uncommon experience in the auto industry.

I agree. I'm happily putting miles on their loaner x wile my new one is in production.

Update with the AC. Today, I took my MX to the SC at 7:30am and I was back on the road at 7:40am with a Model S loaner. Within an hour I looked at my app, and they had it in the service bay, doors open working on the AC. I was worried that they wouldn't get to it with all the new cars in line to be prepped for delivery. This is my first issue with the car, and so far I'm impressed with Tesla customer service.

Glad you got taken care of. They do try, just too busy, and in the SF bay where I live, just way way to many cars and not enough service bays. This led to too many failed attempts. I suspect mine was a wire harness issue, but they just kept replacing parts and it kept failing... so a new one was the best option.

Quick update. My new car is now done and I'm scheduled for pickup Tuesday. Will update with my delivery experiance/inital quality.
Glad this worked out for you after all the hassle.

We had our compressor replaced after two years. It made more noise than “normal” (quotes added by me).

I’ll be curious to hear if your new car’s AC will be quieter than your 2016 model. Ours still sounds like a jet engine when it gets close to a 100 degrees out.

Delivery Experience thread:
Model X Fremont Delivery Today

It was goooood. Right choice. AC blows COLD front and back. I ended up putting slightly over 3k miles on their loaner for the 6 weeks or so. AP2.5 is miles better then the AP1 on the loaner.

Congrats! The new car looks flawless. My Fremont delivery experience was far from perfect and so is my car, but absolutely loving driving it. My A/C is also not 100% right, not looking forward to the car being in the SC for who knows how long, and hope they can take care of all the issues without causing other issues!

Did they buyback your old one? How does that work i.e. do they calculate the current value and buyback at that value from you? Wouldn't that be a loss for the owner when you have to return a faulty vehicle?

Congrats! The new car looks flawless. My Fremont delivery experience was far from perfect and so is my car, but absolutely loving driving it. My A/C is also not 100% right, not looking forward to the car being in the SC for who knows how long, and hope they can take care of all the issues without causing other issues!

Did they buyback your old one? How does that work i.e. do they calculate the current value and buyback at that value from you? Wouldn't that be a loss for the owner when you have to return a faulty vehicle?

Yes, they bought the old one back. They have a miles based formula. I would strongly advise trying to work with them to fix your car, but if like me, 5 times and a year later it's not fixed, then a buyback might make sense. Also its calculated from first occurance of the problem, so it costs you nothing to let them try to fix it. I also would guess its primarily for mechanical issues, not fit/finish. In my case it was financially fair.

Reactions: bayx and MP3Mike
I am curious, after they figure out the buy back price, do they add the sales tax on top of that as well so that you can at least recoupe part of that money?

It depends on the state. In Ca, for a new car, the lemon law protections call out the formula, and it does include taxes and registration fees in the original amount that they then prorate for usage.

Reactions: xanatos