Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X crash and fire in Orange County

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You picked a fine time to leave me
Loosewheel.JPG

Tesla does a great job of protecting the pack, but li-ion cells will catch fire if crushed beyond a certain point. The anode and cathode in a li-ion cell are separated with a liquid electrolyte that allows the reaction to take place. Crush the cell, the electrolyte gets squeezed out and the two electrode touch. Then all the energy stored in the battery is released at once, creating a lot of heat and starting a fire. It's a weakness of li-ion technology.

Any accident that crushes or rips open battery cells will likely result in a fire. Of the recent Tesla fires I know anything about, all happened from high speed crashes like the Model S that plowed into a tree doing over 90 mph in the Netherlands or the crash in Indianapolis where the car may have been going more than 100 when it hit a tree. It's kind of impossible to maintain pack integrity in accidents that that kind of kinetic energy. Teslas probably have more than their fair share compared to other EVs because they have higher top speeds. I think the top speed of the Bolt is 91 mph and the Leaf's top speed is 93 mph. The "slow" Tesla (currently the 75/75D) tops out at 140mph. The big pack cars are firmware limited to 155 mph.

People want to feel the performance of Teslas and end up doing stupid things.

From the article,

“Apparently, people think Tustin Ranch Road continues and just keep driving right on,” Kurtz said. “I don’t know how people miss the giant gates and the red lights mounted on them.”

Maybe, just a maybe... because they are painted matte black!?

0626_nws_ocr-l-ocfacrash-02.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: gabeincal
Text says "One of the car’s two occupants was transported to a hospital with a minor hand injury". I wonder which is correct, the text or the video?

Note that the firefighter speaking on the video said that "one of the occupants was transported to the hospital with potentially serious injuries".

That is not the same as saying the person had a serious injury.

Surprisingly that article wasn't anti tesla. It is more about how it's OC and OC can't have a garish gate, which would have stopped numerous accidents. The number of tesla cars in OC is very high, so it is now just another car in the area.