Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Crash on US-101 (Mountain View, CA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for fixing JoelC! Looking at your video at the 08:10:26 a.m. point. So about 1hr 30 min before his accident happened, the barrier hadn't been reset, looks fully collapsed even, as you can see quite a bit of the track and there were two orange cones set to the Rt 85 side and in front of it. So basically he hit a concrete wall.

I can also see watching the segment you posted that sun in your eyes can be a problem traveling SB on 101 in that direction. Think someone else mentioned this before.

Last edited:
Here's the image at 8:10:26am yesterday morning from JoelC's video... so sad to think that if that barrier had been properly reset, this guy might have survived?

We still don't know why he hit the barrier in the first place, but it's pretty clear there wasn't anything in front of the concrete to absorb the impact besides the front of his car (and maybe those two cones). I sure hope there's something there next time (and every time) I drive by that spot from here on out.

upload_2018-3-24_12-25-34.png

20180323_080953_NF on Flickr

Video from my BlackVue yesterday at 8AM.
The barrier appears at the 30 second mark.
Does not look like it was reset.

Thank you for posting this. That seems to be proof that the smart cushion barrier was NOT reset before the crash, and the Model X basically ran straight into a solid / narrow hard barrier.

morningof.png

You can also see some "road cones" there that weren't in the earlier pictures. I wonder who put those there and why. Did we see those "road cones" in the "after crash" pictures?
It also looks like there may have been a fallen flat barricade sign in your video like someone had tried to make the hazard more obvious, but the sign fell over.

barricade1.png

fallen1.png

Last edited:
I can't possibly imagine how any alert driver can hit that wall, especially with the collapsable section unavailable, head on SQUARE with no perceptible skid marks or avoidance of any kind from the videos/pictures I have seen.

I would put money on this being an Autopilot accident given that wide marked 'lane' that would indeed guide the car directly square into that barrier.

I drive that route EVERY DAY in my S, but I am always in the left lane (carpool lane to the flyover to 85), and I am 100% on autopilot at 80mph setting. It slows down for the curve, and takes the flyover just fine. I wonder if the X was in the right lane and then ended up in the middle somehow? In any case, I would have to assume this drive was not being attentive

Tragic either way, just horrible.

• Informative
Reactions: Plug Life
I wonder if the "smart cushion" is so narrow that the Model X crash beams straddle either side and so it may have "punched a hole right in the middle" of the X crash structure?

That would explain the damage to the top center battery module. Barrier punched through the front and vehicle deccelerated when the pack structure impacted.

Regarding the vehicle "flipping" in some reports, does anyone think it rolled in the air and landed on its tires? I wonder if only the rear end of the vehicle "flipped up" in the air after its forward motion stopped after hitting the barrier (whether or not it was reset properly), and then landed once again on the pavement.

It seems like it would hard for the X to do a full flip (end over end) and land to the side of the barrier without also denting the roof during rotation. It may have jumped the barrier after impact and gone airborne (possibly with a full or partial twist/roll) before landing.

A Model S/X would require more energy dissipation to stop at the same speed due to the extra weight of the vehicle (batteries). One has to wonder if these barriers are designed for heavier vehicles, or how they perform (even when properly reset) when a heavier vehicle hits them.

The energy absorber is supposed to be valved such that it applies the force needed to stop various mass vehicles (speed at displacement sensitive). Test mass is 5,000 pounds.

Reactions: ddkilzer
These might be those same "road cones" we saw in the pre-crash Dashcam video:
pylons2.png

Not sure if they found those on the scene when they got there, or they put some news ones out to mark the debris pile.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddkilzer
The dashcam video also shows that the 8:10AM traffic southbound there was moving at basically "full speed".
The non-carpool lanes did slow a bit, but the 2 southbound carpool lanes seemed to be flying along as fast as you were willing to go.

Those "road cones" weren't even directly in front of the (non-functional) crash cushion. They were practically in the left carpool lane heading toward hwy 85.
I could see someone (or something) being half blinded by the sun in their face, and then noticing those cones and thinking "oh no this lane looks closed!", and swerving into that right "non-lane" with upcoming wall...

roadcones.png

• Informative
Reactions: Kincaid
I live close and drove by about 30 min ago. Currently the barrier is in the same collapsed position. No one is repairing it now, even after this publicly seen accident.

Its so upsetting that there was a chance of the driver surviving if the barrier was in proper functional order.

I can confirm that over 24 hours later the barrier is still compresssed and not reset. And when I drove by this morning there was a car (non Caltrans) dangerously parked right next to it with blinkers on in the “lane which is not a lane.”

I can confirm that over 24 hours later the barrier is still compresssed and not reset. And when I drove by this morning there was a car (non Caltrans) dangerously parked right next to it with blinkers on in the “lane which is not a lane.”
As an engineer for MDOT there is no excuse for the barrier not to either be fixed or atleast traffic control devices better then "2 cones" within 24 hours if not immediately. Then again I work for an authority and we are way more proactive with this stuff.

20180323_080953_NF on Flickr

Video from my BlackVue yesterday at 8AM.
The barrier appears at the 30 second mark.
Does not look like it was reset.

Wow, what an excellent and important discovery.

Two small orange cones instead of resetting the barrier?

Literally almost a half-dozen other crashes into the previous barriers in a span of a few years, and the exit wasn't redesigned?

What the heck was CalTrans doing all this time?!?

No vehicle would have survived that impact, and now there's a fatality and massive liability.

This does not look good for CalTrans, at all: it looks likes there's an avoidable fatality and CA taxpayers will have to pony up millions due to incompetence.