Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Crash on US-101 (Mountain View, CA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NBCBayArea site with video from witness who said he shot the video right after he and his friend helped pull the driver from the burning car.
Driver Dies Following Fiery Tesla Model X Crash on Hwy. 101

It looks like the two cones were still there before the responders arrived.
Also it looks like someone propped up that warning barricade after the crash.
(We saw in the 8:10am dashcam video that it was flat on the ground before.)
cones3.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ddkilzer
Wow... *is* that a skid mark? That is interesting... what is it?? looks too narrow and inconsistent to be a skid mark. Also looks like it extends past the white line in the distance. Could have there been some other kind of mech failure (steering)??

Have my doubts about a fluid. If something was leaking out at 80mph it would have to be a pretty big flow to leave that kind of trail.

Paving line?

Reactions: jsmay311
also look at all the people in the background merging from left hov line via the non-lane onto the 101.

You know what's else is weird, I was wondering if the "skid mark" is in fact a seam in the pavement and so I compared to the dashcam pictures from before and the seam runs parallel to the white line, but is not seen on this picture?

Wow... *is* that a skid mark? That is interesting... what is it?? looks too narrow and inconsistent to be a skid mark. Also looks like it extends past the white line in the distance. Could have there been some other kind of mech failure (steering)??

Pretty sure that's just one of the dark seams in the road.

Its an aging expansion joint between concrete slabs. The expansion joint lines ad to the confusion of the intersection since you your mind can follow them and not the white lines and they diverge. Also the edges of that particular joint have several potholes large enough for me to fear for my low profile tires.

I can't possibly imagine how any alert driver can hit that wall, especially with the collapsable section unavailable, head on SQUARE with no perceptible skid marks or avoidance of any kind from the videos/pictures I have seen.

I would put money on this being an Autopilot accident given that wide marked 'lane' that would indeed guide the car directly square into that barrier.

I drive that route EVERY DAY in my S, but I am always in the left lane (carpool lane to the flyover to 85), and I am 100% on autopilot at 80mph setting. It slows down for the curve, and takes the flyover just fine. I wonder if the X was in the right lane and then ended up in the middle somehow? In any case, I would have to assume this drive was not being attentive

Tragic either way, just horrible.

The Audi looks like it tapped into the rear driver side of the X but not seeing much damage there. The Mazda impacted the X on it's driver's side front bumper and there's damage there and on it's hood. From all reports only the Tesla driver was sent to the hospital.

Horrible. I use AP on both lanes often too, but never thought people would dive into the barrier out in a long and open area. I believe there are human errors involved, at the deadly wrong spot.

For the cause of the series of events, I want to pick the white Mazda (warn you, this is highly speculating), which also suffered quite damage on its left side with both tires flattened. Some wide area impact would result in this. My theory is this. First, both the Tesla and Mazda are travelling 101S (not the 85S ramp on the far left), Tesla on the left and Mazda on the right. Secondly, for some reasons the Mazda started moving into the Tesla's lane without seeing the Tesla, and the carpool lane was already open (after 9AM) for everyone to use. Lastly, the Tesla was surprised by the Mazda's move and veered itself into the barrier, hit the buffer, flipped and landed on the median and occupied a quarter of its original lane. The Audi probably was the car following the Tesla.

Without a dashcam video or other's accounts (not getting any videos from those cars on the 85N flyover which should be bumper to bumper?), it's hard to put these pieces together. The Audi and the Mazda should tell.

The barrier has to be there, and someone is going to hurt, but there is no perfect design and even a perfect design might meet with weak genes. To fellow Bay Area drivers out there, pay attention and good luck!

I am curious about the extent of the front end damage to the model x. Even if there is nothing between the car and the concrete divider, I would have expect a severely crumpled front structure rather than a one that's completely sheared away. It's almost as if the car hit it sideway rather than head on. Just very strange to me.

Well the video provided by Joel will help the family during legal proceedings. There is no use putting safety devices in place if they are not going to repair them after being damaged from a previous collision. There are usually safety committees engaged which include the police when decisions are made to install these safety devices on roadways. They provide data to show they are required so we know this location was deemed to be a safety concern. I doubt the autopilot drove the MX into the barrier if it was in the off ramp lane for a distance. There are people swerving at the last minute to get back onto the highway at the last minute when they realize they are heading off or onto a roadway they don’t want. It happened to me recently, two lanes heading onto the highway at 90 degrees. We were travelling at about 30 MPH when the car to my right realized he was going onto the highway and tried to avoid doing so by turning left to head back onto the overpass we were on. Not sure how he didn’t hit me but he may have hit the guy behind me because that car did do come down the ramp. I’m not saying the victim of this MVC was distracted but people texting and doing things they shouldn’t do while driving is getting out of hand. Running late, no problem, I will eat my meal, do my makeup, shave and read documents to make up the time.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I drove by it today at slightly above the speed limit using AP1. I was in the 101 south commuter lane. The barrier has not been repaired - not even a cone.

My AP1 before perfectly like it has every time I have passed that exchange - a thousand times. I rarely take the 85 south exit but it is poorly marked. It really is a dumb exit.

Here is what it looks like today:
smartcusion99.png

Someone collapsed that barricade warning sign and set it on top of the smart cushion rails. Is that sign just left there to open up again when the next accident happens?
Someone put one cone on each side now instead of both on the left. I wonder who is deciding the cone placements there?
The X chewed up those warning chevrons.

Last edited:
I notice in one picture that the front drive unit was embedded in the impact barrier, and read that a witness said the vehicle did a forward flip and landed on it's wheels before the Mazda hit it.

Wow if it really flipped consider the physics of that for a second. For the vehicle to go up the center of mass must have been above the center of resistance of the impact. I'm guessing the center of resistance would be the front bumper beam and drive unit but even with nose dive from braking its hard to see that being much lower that the MX's low center of mass. So given the trigonometry of the situation the velocity must have been high and the barrier solid. You'd also expect that the majority of the energy would be dissipated forward horizontally, which is confirmed stunningly shattered nature of the front end components.

TL;DR sad high speed crash into an immovable object.

• Informative
Reactions: ddkilzer
Note, there are a bunch of old construction signs still on the edge of that carpool lane / exit.
If you read the fine print they are from last year... But as you whiz by (particularly with sun in your face), you could think it said that the left lane is closed.
closed1.png

Then as you got closer and saw some orange road cones that got pushed into that left lane, you could panic and try to swerve to the right to avoid that "closed" lane.