Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Crash on US-101 (Mountain View, CA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to take the side of the 'narrative' peeps. One thing that really bothers me about the accidents... whether it be a deadly crash or supposed unintended
acceleration, or a summon wreck.... Tesla reveals details about the driver, driving habits or what they did to the press. Do Tesla owners sign off on having their
personal info made public? I would never do that. When you insurance company offers to reduce your insurance by putting a monitoring device on your car...
do you actually say yes? It bothers me that they just release these details... but I gotta agree with those complaining that this puts the driver in a negative light.
All of that other info that had nothing to do with the crash, it serves no purpose but to make the driver look irresponsible.

Reactions: Matias
Tesla, March 27:
Out of respect for the privacy of our customer and his family, we do not plan to share any additional details until we conclude the investigation.
Huh? They’re actually not going to share their log data publicly this time? Well that’s... [admirable] / [ambiguous]

Tesla, not three days later:
An Update on Last Week’s Accident
... several visual and one audible hands-on warning ... hands were not detected on the wheel ... The driver had about five seconds and 150 meters of unobstructed view ... but the vehicle logs show that no action was taken ...

What We Know About Last Week's Accident
An Update on Last Week’s Accident

...Eye tracking is superior to steering wheel resistance if the goal is to make sure you’re watching the road.

Eye tracking without steering wheel torque sensing could invite a driver to have hands away from the steering wheel which is not ideal because it does take time to move hands back to grab the steering wheel in emergency.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bhzmark and MXWing
Has anyone pointed out that this barrier was hit by someone not utilizing Tesla's AP not a week prior to the accident?

I mean, you can blame AP for this if you're lazy...but there appears to be a bigger issue here.

If it was a 2019 Leaf with Propilot, no one would give a F.

It's only Tesla that gets this level of scrutiny. Ignoring the millions and millions of safe AP miles.

Does anyone know if AP2 includes a driver facing camera yet?

AFAIK, only Cadillac has such a system active on production cars that is integrated with automatic steering. It is unlikely that the Cadillac system could have hit that barrier while active since it's geomapped, not just using sensor input.

The situation shows 2 schools of thought when it comes to autosteering:

1) It is a convenience feature which allows more freedom from the burden of situational awareness. Can be used to get more work done per day.

2) It is a safety feature which will improve your chances if you should nod off, are briefly distracted, are intoxicated, or become medically incapacitated. It's not to be used to ignore the road, ever. No Pokemon For You.

As some folk have mentioned, they are comfy taking their eyes off the road for 6 seconds and longer, knowing full well technology is not at that level yet.

I don't agree that ignoring the road is 40% safer than watching the road today. Not with anybodies system. I'd agree it is safer to have a car running an autosteering system for those who are going to ignore the road regardless of what they are driving.

Reactions: MXWing
Has anyone pointed out that this barrier was hit by someone not utilizing Tesla's AP not a week prior to the accident?
Tesla says autopilot was on during deadly Mountain View crash

“Tesla emphasized this crash was so severe because the safety barrier "had been crushed in a prior accident." That happened, as Dan Noyes reported this week, because an alleged drunk driver in a Prius hit the smart cushion at 70 miles an hour -- he walked away with minor injuries.”

So basically Autopilot is no better than a drunk driver. I’d say that’s accurate at times.

it's part of the crash snapshot and is logged, just not used for anything beyond that (at least when I last looked, which was some time ago)
That's just a snapshot where there is a compressed file of images from all the cameras correct? I imagine it will include a few seconds of compressed video from the interior facing camera if it's not already there.

I can't wait till Tesla has dashcam capabilities like Elon hinted at.

The car is a 100D, the chance of getting one as CPO and/or AP1 is slim. The window is narrow, ie. AP2 went into production 2~3 months after 100D did if memory serves me right.
AP2 Went into production 2 to 3 months prior to 100D. I had one of the first runs with AP2.0. AP2.0 started production End of Oct. 2016 with first deliveries Last week of November. 100D was not available to order until End of January.

Reactions: MXWing and Kant.Ing
I wonder if using two camera to provide a better stereoscopic vision would help,
in particular to determine object distances using telemetry?

Subaru EyeSight Driver Assist Technology

eyesight-hero.jpg

If it was a 2019 Leaf with Propilot, no one would give a F.

It's only Tesla that gets this level of scrutiny. Ignoring the millions and millions of safe AP miles.

Yes, only Tesla. Uber didn't get any blowback when its AV ran over and killed that pedestrian. :rolleyes:
Cruise AVs are never in the news when they get into a fender bender or receive a TICKET for driving "too close" to a biker.
It's all a conspiracy against little innocent Tesla, right?

Reactions: Icer and jsmay311
AFAIK, only Cadillac has such a system active on production cars that is integrated with automatic steering. It is unlikely that the Cadillac system could have hit that barrier while active since it's geomapped, not just using sensor input.

The situation shows 2 schools of thought when it comes to autosteering:

1) It is a convenience feature which allows more freedom from the burden of situational awareness. Can be used to get more work done per day.

2) It is a safety feature which will improve your chances if you should nod off, are briefly distracted, are intoxicated, or become medically incapacitated. It's not to be used to ignore the road, ever. No Pokemon For You.

As some folk have mentioned, they are comfy taking their eyes off the road for 6 seconds and longer, knowing full well technology is not at that level yet.

I don't agree that ignoring the road is 40% safer than watching the road today. Not with anybodies system. I'd agree it is safer to have a car running an autosteering system for those who are going to ignore the road regardless of what they are driving.

3) Enhances safety by letting you survey a wider viewpoint while AP handles lane keeping and speed control.

4) Reduces fatigue by not forcing always on concentration and lets you place your feet and hands in more comfortable positions.

Your #2 and my #3 and #4 is how I employ EAP.

Reactions: e-FTW and McRat