Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Depreciation....WoW!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trade-in value is not an accurate measure of true depreciation. How much you can get for it on the re-sale market is the true measure of how much it has depreciated, or if it has depreciated at all.
BUT in states you pay sales tax on difference that is a big swing, and also easy of transaction... it does matter in depreciation especially when talking about a specialty car like a tesla. That 1 people want with a CPO warranty, and 2 will have hard time financing $60,000 (sometimes)

BUT in states you pay sales tax on difference that is a big swing, and also easy of transaction... it does matter in depreciation especially when talking about a specialty car like a tesla. That 1 people want with a CPO warranty, and 2 will have hard time financing $60,000 (sometimes)

And with a specialty car like a Tesla, where there can be a significant wait for a factory-ordered model, one sometimes finds that a virtually new, extremely low-mileage unit will show virtually no depreciation at all on the open market.

As far as I can tell the best benchmark for predicting Model X depreciation relative to other high-end SUVs is the depreciation of Model S relative to other high end sedans, and Model S depreciation is best in that class as was confirmed again recently. Tesla Model S retains its value better than gas-powered cars in its segment, losing only 28% after 50k miles

I think the most reasonable assumption is that Model X depreciation will compare well with SUVs in the same price range, and most likely will be best in its class, like the S.

value-retention-study-autolist.png

so I called my advisor today to have him run some numbers on trading my 3 week old 90D in on a P100D. I figured I would take a 10% to 15% hit. It has 540 miles. Imagine when he quoted me a 23% hit! I almost fell over. I thought Land Rovers were bad but I think Tesla wins with the fastest depreciation. 23 friggen percent!!!

Worse for me. Really surprised, my RRS didn't even depreciate this much when comparing the trade values...

I love articles about depreciation that were before or do not take into consideration new hardware i.e. 2.0

Tesla tells you deprecation when's trade in is 25% off retail after week one.

Truth, though it's alway just a game of numbers and profit. Tesla will tell people it's lost a lot of value and then go around and sell it for much more. This is with every car but it just seems like it's a bigger difference with these than the traditional ICE.

Tesla told me how much they would pay me and also how much they would sell it for, Although it seemed like a pretty big mark up there was no double dealing.

I've had traditional ICE dealerships tell me the same thing. I even get sent the link to the posting for their asking price. I've found their numbers to usually be pretty close to what they offer me. The most recent one was only asking for 3K more than what they paid me.

I love articles about depreciation that were before or do not take into consideration new hardware i.e. 2.0

Tesla tells you deprecation when's trade in is 25% off retail after week one.
But you need to keep in mind any federal and/or state credits involved. Those will play into the overall "depreciation". That could amount to 10% or more right off the top. I think that gives most people the wrong impression on true depreciation.

But you need to keep in mind any federal and/or state credits involved. Those will play into the overall "depreciation". That could amount to 10% or more right off the top. I think that gives most people the wrong impression on true depreciation.
So credits are not really credits. Just used car market credits that second hand purchases get 100% of benefit.

I get it, but still not intended purpose. Just makes ppl believe they are getting a good deal

With any vehicle, the list price minus the typical rebate minus the sales tax minus any further incentive (tax) measures is the price you can obtain when you return the vehicle the minute you drove it off the dealers lot.

As the very large majority of owners finance, nobody can afford to see a large atypical drop after that. This means that each vehicle will then be written off 10% per year or per 20,000 miles driven, whichever comes first, meaning the assumption is that the net value shall be zero at the latest after 10 years or 200,000 miles driven. Vehicles might hold value after that, but have usually encountered maintenance and repair investments equivalent to or in excess off whatever that residual value may be.