Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X door lock question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my doors set to lock when I leave the car, but is there a way to keep them unlocked while at home? I find myself going out to the garage to get something out of the car and it’s always locked. Didn’t find an option to exclude auto lock at certain gps locations.

Unfortunately there is not an option to leave the car unlocked in certain locations, although it is one that has been asked for a number of times on here. I suspect that part of the issue is that the GPS accuracy isn’t really good enough to determine if the car is in your garage or driveway. While you might want the car to stay unlocked in your garage you probably wouldn’t want it to do so in your driveway.

For the most part I haven’t been too bothered by my car remaining locked in my garage. I keep my key fob in my pocket most of the time and on the occasions when I don’t have my key fob I can unlock the car with my phone (which I have on me almost all the time) or my Apple Watch (again, almost always on me) using the Remote-S app.

Thanks for the reply. I also have my Apple Watch on all the time but wasn’t aware of the app. Thanks again.

I’ve been pretty happy with the app. The only slight downside is that it takes a little while for the app to connect to the car... maybe 10 or 15 seconds, but it’s definitely easier and faster than going back into the house to get the fob.

You can also keep your key fob in the car. I have heard of some people doing this. I guess if it's in a locked garage, it's just as safe as if you left it unlocked. Of course, that will leave you open to car theft, as opposed to just vandalism.

I have my doors set to lock when I leave the car, but is there a way to keep them unlocked while at home? I find myself going out to the garage to get something out of the car and it’s always locked. Didn’t find an option to exclude auto lock at certain gps locations.

You can create a new driver profile (for example HOME) where the settings are OFF on walk away lock. You can always select this profile when you get home. Hope this helps.