Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model x doors over time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all -

I am a happy model S owner. We are thinking about trading our old ICE SUV for a used X. I have heard that some older X’s have door problems. Does anyone know where there is information about the quality of the X doors over the years? Thanks.

They constantly make changes to the doors but there are still issues as recent as my March 2018 build. In general the newer it is the better and believe or not lighter color cars work slightly better due to the sensors overheating in darker color cars. My 2018 in white works more reliably than than my 2016 midnight silver. Still issues here and there but much better.

One change they’ve made is adding a sensor inside the speaker grille circa q3 2017. This helps detecting objects that are standing below the doors so they don’t close on you when you are standing under the door.

Another change(s) they’ve made is to reduce the rubbing of the door and the door jam that’s causing the paint to come off, but I’ve heard the issue still persists for some people.

Not sure how "old" we are talking about. Our 2017 Jan X build have never had any door problems of any kind. Opening them a lot with guests and kids. I can't say how many times they have been opened and closed (all doors), but at least 500 times so far on each FWD and over 1,000 times on the self presenting front doors. That's probably not a lot of opening closing by some standards, but if something were going to go wrong, there might have been a hint of it by now. We shall see how it goes from here and forward.

• Informative
Reactions: SUP THO
It's a mixed bag really, just the luck of the draw. I got a 2016 from Tesla's used inventory and upon taking delivery, it had a "stuck" passenger door. It sounded like the motor needed 2 tries to get it to open. They fixed it in a day so not really a problem, but I just scheduled a service appointment because it's starting to act up again. My wife's X is same model year, hasn't had any issues at all.

Early 2016s like our X had some issues with the FWDs not clamping on cold weather (we're in Canada) but those were updated for free from the SC with improved new latches in 2017. Generally pretty good and most of the bugs are out. I would probably try for a 2017 or later if you get a choice. The 2016s have a classic "quality" such as the original style door closing buttons and I have the full 7 seats with the middle row motorized and on pedestals + ventilated (well something blows out lightly from them) seats.

• Informative
Reactions: Ocelot
Tesla has a policy of constant improvement. The early builds had more problems that the later ones, and their pricing reflects the issues.

So many variables that stating a cut off for quality/features is challenging.

Some want the best battery (100) others are more interested in getting later versions of autopilot capability (2.0 - 2.5)

You have an S and know that often the ownership experience is usually far better than what is represented with these forums.

I have a early 2017. Love the Falcon wing doors. So smart, elegant and easy to enter/exit. Great for loading kids. Only issue I had was a squeaky Falcon door. Fixed in 5 minutes with a little grease.

Biggest issue with choosing a used Model is deciding which seating configuration you want. 5-6-7 seaters.

They get a little less miles/charge than the Model S, so take that into consideration as well when selecting a battery choice.

Love my X...

Thanks all. Is there a consensus on what the cutoff is for a used X? Don’t buy a used X made before blank date?
I don't think there's a solid line as even my 2016 is pretty decent. I do think the 2017s onwards I've heard are more relliable with a number of things as improvements made there way through the 2017+s.

It's a mixed bag really, just the luck of the draw. I got a 2016 from Tesla's used inventory and upon taking delivery, it had a "stuck" passenger door. It sounded like the motor needed 2 tries to get it to open. They fixed it in a day so not really a problem, but I just scheduled a service appointment because it's starting to act up again. My wife's X is same model year, hasn't had any issues at all.
I also bought a used 2016 MXP100 off the website in Feb of this year. So far, no real issues, and I love the car. But I did have the driver's door start making the extra electric motor sounds and not opening as quickly as it should. Made a SC appointment, and they replaced both 2016 front door latches with the newer door latches, all under warranty. Speaking of doors, they also replaced the charger door as it was acting up a bit. Now I don't hear any motor noises when I open the door, and the doors open as designed. Happy with the outcome.

Reactions: Vaillant and forkee