TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X EZ pass mounting

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by SamPolz, Sep 2, 2016.

1. SamPolz

SamPolz Member

Hi, I am going to be taking a delivery of my Model X soon and was wondering where I should place my EZ pass. I really don't want it too obstruct the view. Does anyone have a specific spot that they put the EZ pass?

Thanks, Sam

2. jrichey

jrichey Member

I can confirm that in Florida my sunpass works right under the rear view mirror in my MX.

3. matblk

matblk Member

In my testing, as long as the EZ Pass transponder has the logo sticker facing downwards, it will work anywhere under the windshield. I've tested it resting on the dash, mounted behind the rearview mirror, mounted on the glass behind the rearview mirror, and at the point where the conduit goes into the headliner. It has failed to read when sitting on the center console. It has failed to read when the logo sticker is facing outward - regardless of where the transponder is placed.

The Model S is much more picky about where the transponder must be placed. Some people have even mounted it on the license plate or behind the nose cone.

tl;dr - place it anywhere under the windshield, just make sure the correct side is facing outwards.

4. jeffreys

jeffreys Member

The documentation I was handed at X delivery said that a transponder wouldn't work through the windshield. Given that, I asked EZPass to send me a front-plate mounted transponder. Neither Tesla's screws nor EZPass's bolts were suitable for mounting the EZPass external transponder on the front plate holder, but less than a dollar at the hardware store fixed that.

5. SamGarber

SamGarber S85 "Whale Shark"

Mine is mounted right under the mirror and it works fine. My DS said the MX windshield is permeable to Ezpass signals

6. Ryan MF

Ryan MF Member

Even though they gave this to you at delivery for the X I think that issue with the transponder is specific to the S. They have different glass.

I have had no issues with the EZ pass transponder being mounted under the rear view mirror.

7. Plugsuvohio

Plugsuvohio Member

I put ours immediately below the mirror, actually behind it. Works fine in several trips Ohio, PA, NY. When took delivery I asked about this and was told anywhere on th X windshield should work, because the early problems related to how the MS glass was made at that time and since changed.

8. jeffreys

jeffreys Member

That's entirely possible. I pulled the documentation out of the filing cabinet this evening to confirm. This was for a Model X delivered in late May in Massachusetts. Here's what it said on the top of page 3:

<u>Front LIcense Plate Mounted Transponders</u>
    The windshield of your vehicle has a coating which blocks harmful UV rays. It also may prevent signals from passing through, like those of your toll transponder. We highly recommend installing a front license plate mounted transponder to your front license plate bracket. ...

There's enough testimony from Model X owners to convince me that this advice at delivery isn't relevant any more, but it's the advice (in writing) that was given to me in May, 2016.

9. DonD

DonD Member

#9 DonD, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Page 163 of the Model X Owners Manual has a section titled Using RFID Transponders that states:
    When attaching an RFID transponder (used by many automated toll systems) inside Model X, locate the transponder in the topmost area of the windshield as shown. This ensures best results and minimizes any obstruction to your driving view.​
    upload_2016-9-6_14-53-58.png
    I mounted my SunPass immediately to the left (passenger side, left as seen in the above diagram, right side as seated in car) of the mirror mounting on the windshield and have not had any performance issues.

• Informative x 1