Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my testing, as long as the EZ Pass transponder has the logo sticker facing downwards, it will work anywhere under the windshield. I've tested it resting on the dash, mounted behind the rearview mirror, mounted on the glass behind the rearview mirror, and at the point where the conduit goes into the headliner. It has failed to read when sitting on the center console. It has failed to read when the logo sticker is facing outward - regardless of where the transponder is placed.

The Model S is much more picky about where the transponder must be placed. Some people have even mounted it on the license plate or behind the nose cone.

tl;dr - place it anywhere under the windshield, just make sure the correct side is facing outwards.

The documentation I was handed at X delivery said that a transponder wouldn't work through the windshield. Given that, I asked EZPass to send me a front-plate mounted transponder. Neither Tesla's screws nor EZPass's bolts were suitable for mounting the EZPass external transponder on the front plate holder, but less than a dollar at the hardware store fixed that.

The documentation I was handed at X delivery said that a transponder wouldn't work through the windshield. Given that, I asked EZPass to send me a front-plate mounted transponder. Neither Tesla's screws nor EZPass's bolts were suitable for mounting the EZPass external transponder on the front plate holder, but less than a dollar at the hardware store fixed that.

Even though they gave this to you at delivery for the X I think that issue with the transponder is specific to the S. They have different glass.

I have had no issues with the EZ pass transponder being mounted under the rear view mirror.

Hi, I am going to be taking a delivery of my Model X soon and was wondering where I should place my EZ pass. I really don't want it too obstruct the view. Does anyone have a specific spot that they put the EZ pass?

Thanks, Sam
I put ours immediately below the mirror, actually behind it. Works fine in several trips Ohio, PA, NY. When took delivery I asked about this and was told anywhere on th X windshield should work, because the early problems related to how the MS glass was made at that time and since changed.

Even though they gave this to you at delivery for the X I think that issue with the transponder is specific to the S. They have different glass.

I have had no issues with the EZ pass transponder being mounted under the rear view mirror.

That's entirely possible. I pulled the documentation out of the filing cabinet this evening to confirm. This was for a Model X delivered in late May in Massachusetts. Here's what it said on the top of page 3:

<u>Front LIcense Plate Mounted Transponders</u>
The windshield of your vehicle has a coating which blocks harmful UV rays. It also may prevent signals from passing through, like those of your toll transponder. We highly recommend installing a front license plate mounted transponder to your front license plate bracket. ...

There's enough testimony from Model X owners to convince me that this advice at delivery isn't relevant any more, but it's the advice (in writing) that was given to me in May, 2016.

Page 163 of the Model X Owners Manual has a section titled Using RFID Transponders that states:
When attaching an RFID transponder (used by many automated toll systems) inside Model X, locate the transponder in the topmost area of the windshield as shown. This ensures best results and minimizes any obstruction to your driving view.​
upload_2016-9-6_14-53-58.png

I mounted my SunPass immediately to the left (passenger side, left as seen in the above diagram, right side as seated in car) of the mirror mounting on the windshield and have not had any performance issues.

Last edited:
Thanks, @DonD! When I ordered my Model X EZPass for the NY/NJ area, they sent me a license plate tag. It stopped working, possibly from having been plunged into snow banks. When I ordered a replacement, I specified the interior tag, even though there is a lot of conflicting information on the web, probably because of problems with Model S. I mounted it as you suggested, and it worked perfectly. Definitely nicer to have it inside, out of the weather, and hard to steal.

Thanks, @DonD! Definitely nicer to have it inside, out of the weather, and hard to steal.

Who would steal an EZ Pass? Thieves don't steal things that have small pay-outs (EZ Pass might net a couple of dollars) or things where they can easily get caught (there are cameras at the toll booths). Anyway, I think an EZ Pass is very low on the priority list of thieves.

Who would steal an EZ Pass? Thieves don't steal things that have small pay-outs (EZ Pass might net a couple of dollars) or things where they can easily get caught (there are cameras at the toll booths). Anyway, I think an EZ Pass is very low on the priority list of thieves.
I probably read too many trashy detective novels :). A standard plot device is for nasty people whose car and license have been seen leaving the scene of a crime to drive to an airport and swap license plates with a car in long-term parking. If you're going to take the plates, why not take the EZPass? It's not about saving a toll, it's about getting out of the area, undetected, as quickly as possible. I never lost any sleep about unwanted access to my Pass, but I'm happy to have it inside, particularly after the rather short life-span of the one mounted on the plate.

• Funny
Reactions: vandacca
Attached is another reason to prefer an interior tag to a plate-mounted tag. By the way, the ice and snow covering the plate also covered a couple sensors, rendering any form of cruise control unusable. It might be nice to have small heaters around the sensors, although this may not have occurred to the California team;).

I should have emphasized that if you are ordering an EZ Pass tag online, be sure to specify the interior tag. I'm pretty sure when I ordered mine, the only Tesla options were Model S and Roadster, and I clicked on S, not realizing that would default to a plate-mounted tag. Presumably, they'll add the Model X, but if you don't see it, talk to a human, and insist on the interior tag (which worked just fine on this trip).

Attachments

• tesla-tag.jpg
    tesla-tag.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 440