Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Falcon Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could be my bias showing, but it sounded clear to me from Elon's presentation tonight: The falcon wing doors have some benefits, but mostly "they look cool." That third row thing? Not all that amazing since the seat has to be moved forward, which can be done in other vehicles already. Buckling kids into the seats.. eh. Not that big of a deal, and I've done it in my bend-down MS. I felt like he didn't try to sell the functional benefits because the truth is that they're a design choice.

Like all designs, I'm sure there are people who will love them and people who won't, but I don't know that they can be dressed up as something that solves a problem.

Anyone have a feel for what will happen if you open the doors when there is 6" of snow on the vehicle? Will it fall down into the interior? Obviously you should clear it off first but some folks are too lazy to do that and if you aren't very tall you may not be able to reach.

I worry that the Tesla designers have never really seen snow. The concave design of the TACC sensor under the nose cone of my Model S is very poorly designed for snowy/slushy conditions and quickly gets plugged up in our Canadian winters.

My daughter brought up a good point while we were watching videos of the falcon doors. She said, "Everything's going to fall out :scared:". I wonder if there will be pockets in the doors (like your typical mini-van or SUV). I wonder what the plan is for storage in the doors (if any) and in the car in general. I'm hoping for more cup holders and possibly outlets for chargers.
I should have looked more closely - I got into Elon's X on stage for about 15 minutes, mostly checking out seating comfort in the 3rd row - but it looked like the door pockets were a mesh fabric with elastic closure at the top, similar to airline seat backs. They were definitely not open pockets that would dump stuff on occupants' heads. No gimballed cup holders in the doors though (sorry, Nigel).

Also, in the 1000+ rides they gave at the event in 4 or 5 production model Xes (all P90Ds), the Falcon Wing Doors opened and closed perfectly, every time (at least for the few dozen I watched).

-CB

Anyone have a feel for what will happen if you open the doors when there is 6" of snow on the vehicle? Will it fall down into the interior? Obviously you should clear it off first but some folks are too lazy to do that and if you aren't very tall you may not be able to reach.

Owners will soon learn to clear the top. Besides, we won't know all the details yet. Perhaps they've added heating lines to the top of the doors like a rear defroster to help melt some snow accumulation. Seems like a simple enough solution to me.

Seems to me as if snow would slide towards the middle of the roof and pile up there, getting packed between the two open doors. If only one door is opened it would slide over to the other side. I don't think it's going to be a big issue other than possibly rare extreme situations.

I don't want this to get lost in the other threads, so I figure it's worth bringing up here.

Did anyone notice how the speed changed on opening the falcon wings between the no-obstruction first opening (6 seconds) and the closely-parked obstruction opening (18 seconds!)? Closing times had a similar difference (14 seconds to close with obstruction), which likely reflects the constant adjustments the door mechanism is making based on the feedback from the in-door sensors.

SNOW

I live where there is more snow, more of the time throughout the year, than any other owner of a Tesla (this statement includes any Norwegians). We got seven inches of snow five days ago, as a case in point (Sept 22). I also own nine automobiles.

That's my list of qualifications. Here is my take:

When you have snow atop your car, here is what you do: you clear it off. You clear it off your roof, you clear it off your windshield, you clear it off your hood. AFTER THAT, THEN YOU GET IN YOUR VEHICLE. If you don't do the first two, you will get snow in your car as soon as you open your door, irrespective of what kind of door it is. If you don't perform the last, then you will be driving in your own personal snowstorm for as long as it takes for that hood-snow to blow the last of itself onto your windshield. Snow country people know this. Losangelenos and Atlantans, understandably, do not....just as we're not experienced in 160º interiors after having a car sit in a parking lot for three minutes in July.

Unfortunately, this post will be buried and this truly inane and jejune omigodwhatarewegonnado commentary about snow and the falcon doors will keep recurring as often as cheating on vehicular engine emissions.

SNOW

I live where there is more snow, more of the time throughout the year, than any other owner of a Tesla (this statement includes any Norwegians). We got seven inches of snow five days ago, as a case in point (Sept 22). I also own nine automobiles.

That's my list of qualifications. Here is my take:

When you have snow atop your car, here is what you do: you clear it off. You clear it off your roof, you clear it off your windshield, you clear it off your hood. AFTER THAT, THEN YOU GET IN YOUR VEHICLE. If you don't do the first two, you will get snow in your car as soon as you open your door, irrespective of what kind of door it is. If you don't perform the last, then you will be driving in your own personal snowstorm for as long as it takes for that hood-snow to blow the last of itself onto your windshield. Snow country people know this. Losangelenos and Atlantans, understandably, do not....just as we're not experienced in 160º interiors after having a car sit in a parking lot for three minutes in July.

Unfortunately, this post will be buried and this truly inane and jejune omigodwhatarewegonnado commentary about snow and the falcon doors will keep recurring as often as cheating on vehicular engine emissions.
Good advice. We also live in an area that gets lots of snow (we've had 3 feet in 24 hours) and you quickly learn to clear the snow from the roof before you do anything. This applies to all cars... even my Land Rover which has nearly vertical sides and an overhanging rain gutter all around. Open the door and you will get snow inside.
So please, people, thing of something else to whinge about.