Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Front Light Malfunction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, just after the last software update (2018.46.2 which was mostly bug fixes and probably coincidental to the malfunction) my model X gave me the following message: "Front light malfunction: contact Tesla Service". So I stopped into the nearest SC and had them check it out. The left front headlight assembly no longer provides left turn lighting functions. Everything else is working fine but the message won't go away until it is fixed. My 2 year old X with 56,000 miles is no longer under warranty and the cost to replace the front light is going to be $1200! OMG!!! So, I check out e-Bay for a used replacement. Can get used one for ~$250-$900 range but no guarantees. Also noticed that ALL of the available headlights are left ones--what's up with that? Is this a common failure? I'll probably live with this failure for now but does anyone have any suggestions that cost less than $1200?

Ok, just after the last software update (2018.46.2 which was mostly bug fixes and probably coincidental to the malfunction) my model X gave me the following message: "Front light malfunction: contact Tesla Service". So I stopped into the nearest SC and had them check it out. The left front headlight assembly no longer provides left turn lighting functions. Everything else is working fine but the message won't go away until it is fixed. My 2 year old X with 56,000 miles is no longer under warranty and the cost to replace the front light is going to be $1200! OMG!!! So, I check out e-Bay for a used replacement. Can get used one for ~$250-$900 range but no guarantees. Also noticed that ALL of the available headlights are left ones--what's up with that? Is this a common failure? I'll probably live with this failure for now but does anyone have any suggestions that cost less than $1200?

Have thee same error started coming in yesterday afternoon after the Software update. Fortunately, still under warrenty and called up service team to setup an appointment-- Jan 3rd!-- 20 days..

MX owners are early testers and it's probably safe to buy the additional warranty once the factory warranty expires. I have had my MX for just about 8 weeks of the 17 weeks that I owned it as it spent the rest of the time with the SC/Tesla, so I fully expect mine to be a money-pit in the future!

Given that at least one other guy has reported the same "failure" after the software update I would wait until at least the next software update before spending any money. It might well just fix itself at some point in future!

I have the same error message. Lights working fine, hope that can fix the bug with the next update.

Update: On the way home tonight (3 days after the malfunction) the left turn lights started working again (all 3). Tried to reset the dashboard but the malfunction message seems to persist. Checked the intensity against the garage door and the left side looks similar to the right and all 3 lights engage at the correct steering angle. So the $1200 headlight would appear to be working again--hurray! Looks to me like the software update may have done something or the unit has an intermittent issue. I'll let everyone know if it fails again. Thank you all for the insightful comments. I'll try to learn to use e-bay;-)

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
Update: On the way home tonight (3 days after the malfunction) the left turn lights started working again (all 3). Tried to reset the dashboard but the malfunction message seems to persist. Checked the intensity against the garage door and the left side looks similar to the right and all 3 lights engage at the correct steering angle. So the $1200 headlight would appear to be working again--hurray! Looks to me like the software update may have done something or the unit has an intermittent issue. I'll let everyone know if it fails again. Thank you all for the insightful comments. I'll try to learn to use e-bay;-)
Same here. The errors comes on when i use the signals lights only. Try it! turn left, front light malfunction, turn right, front light malfunction. It's random also in terms of when the errors comes on. SMH.

Same here. The errors comes on when i use the signals lights only. Try it! turn left, front light malfunction, turn right, front light malfunction. It's random also in terms of when the errors comes on. SMH.

Interesting. My malfunction notification is on all of the time even when it started to work again. Unfortunately, the front light stopped working again the next morning. I'm still leaning toward a software issue, but it is clearly an intermittent problem. This would be much easier to solve with a schematic of the system. Does anyone think Tesla will provide this information to a customer?

Yup, I am going to blame the software update for these malfunctions. I have a Dec 2016 MX and my auto presenting door malfunctioned after a software update. Same with the easy entry profile, after the update, doesn't work anymore. Every time i have to go back to the SC. Now I am afraid of updating my car after the warranty ends.

Perhaps as most say, wait until you get the next update and it may fix.

In some time I just hope we get a solid stable update and they stop coming, for us AP1 cars at least. I also worry about future updates messing up what has worked for a while; had this happen with the MCU freezing, daytime lights not working, glitches in the display, etc.