Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X FWD and Trunk sensors stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I park in a single car garage. Normally my FWD opens barely halfway very slowly and timidly, although there is enough clearance to open all the way (I normally press the button to make it go all the way up if I need the space). My trunk does the same, opens halfway, timidly. These doors and sensors NEVER fails, until tonight. When I parked and opened the FWD to let my kids, the FWD shot straight up with normal speed and went all the way up. I was even impressed and telling my kids HEY we don't have to duck anymore to get out. Then when I tried to get something from the trunk, the trunk lid did the same thing. It shot straight up and hits the garage door on top. I freaked out, NEVER seen that before. I tested it a few times and it kept doing the same thing, I would have to hold it right before it hits the door, otherwise it would hit the door every time. Somehow the sensors stopped working (parking sensors still work). I tried all the reset techniques and problem not resolved. I plan to call Service center tomorrow because I don't want to straight hitting people and cars left and right w/ the FWD. Anyone had this issue or know if there's a simple reset for the door sensors??

• Informative
Reactions: dailo and cwerdna
My X produced in oct/nov 17 seems to have the same issue. I was told that all X vehicles recently have faulty sensors and need to be replaced by a better version.

Apparently the circuit board takes in water. Firmware updates also fail because of this. Then sometimes they work again because the circuit board dries up.

Surprised this isn't more mentioned here.

So I just went to park the X in the garage. I tested sensors by standing in front of door and opening them, door just hit me. It didn't detect me at all. Hit me pretty hard like as if nothing was there and was just going to open normally

Tesla SC fixed this for me a few days ago. Apparently they have ordered an improved version of the FWD sensors and mounted these.

I talked to the service engineer who delivered my car. He told me the reason these sensors break is that the sensors are mounted inside at the bottom of the car and is not watertight. Water comes down through the window seals and destroys the sensors.

When one sensor breaks, both FWD sensors stop working as well as the roof sensor. So tailgate will also open into garage ceiling. Strange that no warnings / errors are given.

• Informative
Reactions: dailo
Thanks for posting this. My doors open all the way in my garage now, which I thought was a great software update fix since I have the always open setting on and before it wouldn’t open up all the way. After seeing this post I went to test the doors with me standing in front of it and the left one always opens. Would have been a nasty surprise if I hit a wall. The right door doesn’t open with me standing in front of it, so appears the sensor is working there.

They haven’t sent me the invoice yet and most likely won’t, they are just way too busy. They said they just replaced everything around the sensor and had to sand down something. Seemed to work for a day or two and then after I washed my car it hit the same issue. Guessing something isn’t sealed and water is messing something up.