Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X has single 72A charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It still makes no logical sense. Over 90% of the charging opportunities out there are 10 kW/40A or less - and nearly all of the ones with more are 80A capable (in the US/Canada at least.)

A 60A capable charger is mostly wasted cost over a 40A in most situations - and if you want faster charging, it isn't enough.

I'm not really sure what the typical opportunities are like in Europe, but AFAIK the 15 kW rumors haven't said anything about a 3-phase unit for Europe anyway.
Walter

Perhaps it has more to do with building for the charging infrastructure of the future rather than the limited charging infrastructure as it exists today given the fact that we will likely see the EV market expand by a few magnitudes over the next few years.

It makes all the sense in the world to offer at least a 60A charger so you can take advantage of future charging infrastructure.

Perhaps it has more to do with building for the charging infrastructure of the future rather than the limited charging infrastructure as it exists today given the fact that we will likely see the EV market expand by a few magnitudes over the next few years.

It makes all the sense in the world to offer at least a 60A charger so you can take advantage of future charging infrastructure.

Still not seeing it - again, either you have 10 kW limited NEMA 14-50 or less plugs, or you have hardwired high power EVSEs - and the main high power unit right now is Tesla's HPWC with 80A capability.

I could see an argument for a single 80A based on rolling out all the HPWCs maybe, but 60A just doesn't make sense and really the optional twin 40A solution is the most logical given the infrastructure.

Still not seeing it - again, either you have 10 kW limited NEMA 14-50 or less plugs, or you have hardwired high power EVSEs - and the main high power unit right now is Tesla's HPWC with 80A capability.

I could see an argument for a single 80A based on rolling out all the HPWCs maybe, but 60A just doesn't make sense and really the optional twin 40A solution is the most logical given the infrastructure.

So you are against a 60A charger being standard over a 40A charger? Have you not considered the availability of high powered J1772 and Chademo charging options?

So this. Imagine how irritating it would be for current MX owners in 5 years to be unable to exploit newer facilities. 80A would be great but overkill as standard right now, IMO.

I wish someone would post a simple explaination of the NEMA 14-50 versus j1772 versus HPWC, versus.......

I can't seem to sort all this out and will need to make decisions with the MX and wiring in two houses very soon.

Just a quick nit on that: not illegal to sell. Illegal to install without it being "fastened in place", which could be accomplished by providing a bracket that it snaps into on the wall, or even just a simple hook that supports it.

If I am interpreting you correctly, the setup I have would meet that requirement?

20150820_105716.jpg

I did not buy the HPWC because I didn't anticipate the need for at-home 80A charging......although I do have dual chargers in my MS. And my prediction has proven out so far.....I've never returned home with a low state of charge and needed to quickly re-charge and get back on the road.

But, I am on my fourth UMC.........the local SC has replaced three previous ones that began to act up.

Whatever you choose, have an electrician put in adequate wire size for the NEMA 14-50 or HPWC.[/URL]

To add to this, make sure the electrician follows Tesla's wiring guidelines! here I had my NEMA 14-50s installed by an electrician who had done lots of great work for me and had decades of experience. He used the standard wiring they would use for such a plug and it's not adequate. He used 8 gauge wire as opposed to 6 because 8 is what code called for. Unlike an electric range or dryer, a Tesla draws a constant 40amps. All those others draw may amps infrequently. As a result, my car will often switch to 30amps as it senses the heat build up (I'm assuming from increased resistance).

Seriously, hand that sheet to the electrician and then make sure he uses the right wire. If you go with a HPWC, ensure that they follow those guidelines as well. For a dual charger Model S it will draw a constant 80amps.

If I am interpreting you correctly, the setup I have would meet that requirement?

I did not buy the HPWC because I didn't anticipate the need for at-home 80A charging......although I do have dual chargers in my MS. And my prediction has proven out so far.....I've never returned home with a low state of charge and needed to quickly re-charge and get back on the road.

But, I am on my fourth UMC.........the local SC has replaced three previous ones that began to act up.

Looks like you're set up for Model X! I, too, have dual chargers but no HPWC. I got a second mobile connector though because, at the time, the HPWC was around $1500 and the mobile connector was less than it is now... I think.

I'm fortunate to have a Supercharger within about 5 miles from home. On the rare occasion where I come back from a long trip and would like to add miles quickly, I just stop by there for 15 minutes.

What are CHAdeMO and EVSE? Also, isn't there something about when using certain chargers on the MS, the charge port opens automatically? Does that work with the adapters? How about with the J1772?
Sorry if this comes off sounding rude, but how about doing even the slightest bit of reading about charging before asking all these questions? The charging page on the Tesla web site would be a good place to start, and the home charging thread and FAQ here.

What are CHAdeMO and EVSE? Also, isn't there something about when using certain chargers on the MS, the charge port opens automatically? Does that work with the adapters? How about with the J1772?

The new MS (and I'm assuming all MX) allow charge port opening via pushing on the side while the car is unlocked. My older MS doesn't, and the handle on the HPWC, UMC, and Supercharger have buttons that you can press to open the charge port. None of this will work with the other charger options, but I don't think it's an issue. You can use your phone, the key fob (press and hold the trunk button), or the touchscreen in cases that you can't open it otherwise. I wouldn't worry much about that.

The charging options we've discussed so far include AC options. That is, they deliver AC to your vehicle, which is converted to DC by the "charger" which is built into the vehicle. Hence the references to larger chargers or smaller chargers, or in the case of MS, dual chargers. CHAdeMO is a direct DC charger (as are Superchargers). This bypasses your "charger" in the vehicle, therefore allowing a much faster charge rate. You wouldn't install CHAdeMO in your home.

That said, I've mentioned before that I would not be surprised if Tesla offers a way to DC charge using their Powerwall units. If so, it would make for a really flexible and powerful unit that could act as both charger and storage facility. Note that this is pure speculation and hopefulness; nothing more.

You would need a whole row of power walls to charge a Model S...
7-10kWh vs. 85kWh

To do so extremely rapidly, from empty to full, perhaps. There are more use cases than this, of course.

Consider a Powerwall receiving 15kWDC from a PV array and dumping it into a vehicle. Or, consider the possibility that the Powerwall is the charger, so unless you're traveling, it doesn't matter what charger is on board the MX. Not to mention how it would work as a destination charger.

To do so extremely rapidly, from empty to full, perhaps. There are more use cases than this, of course.

Consider a Powerwall receiving 15kWDC from a PV array and dumping it into a vehicle. Or, consider the possibility that the Powerwall is the charger, so unless you're traveling, it doesn't matter what charger is on board the MX. Not to mention how it would work as a destination charger.

True. It just doesn't give you a lot of kWh S. What if you could take it with you for on the go charging :smile:

Model X Configuration has begun!

I emailed Tesla a few days ago asking about the MX charger so I can make plans for the installation in my house. Lo and behold I got a phone call from Tesla with a partial answer. They asked me not to post the answer, and I will honor that request, but he did say that all will be clarified in 2-3 weeks with an official announcement.

OK, what I can confidently take from this is that as of the Model X, the recommended HPWC setup is not "same as it ever was." (or there'd have been a simple answer and nothing to announce)
What I think I can reasonably expect is something not less than 60 Amps single charger (TM rarely downgrades), and let's face it, with the original MS charger design getting on in years, a more powerful onboard (and, yes, stackable SC) charger unit for the same cost would not be unimaginable.

What I prefer to wildly speculate, since the factory no longer installs second chargers, is that there is a new single charger for the X and S, it is 22kW or 23kW capable, and so the new HPWC runs current >90A if wired on a 115A copper-wired circuit.

OK, back to configuration topic!

Last edited: