Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X headlight cannot be turn off!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the X for almost a month now, great vehicle for family and quite a bit more spacious than the S. So I figure that the headlight is always on even during day time. Doesn't matter what you select in daylight, the lights will stay on, you cannot turn it off and you can't even turn on your fog during daytime. Went to Tesla and they said Canada requires the headlight to be on. I rather have the LED strip on in the morning and they are certainly bright enough. I guess theres nothing I can do but just found its kinda stupid. As S only has LED during daytime and can also manipulate with the lights.

@Doug_G, yes the whole light is one all day, but funny that you can turn off the headlight at night, but not in the morning??? what kind of logic is that?

@green1 , really??? I went to the service and they said its a mandatory thing in Canada for model X to have headlights on, which I think is pretty stupid. Anyhow, I've asked several questions regarding the X and they simply cannot resolve or told me theres no solution!!!

1. Headlight on all the time
2. Falcon door a little tilted and needs adjustments
3. Tunein login not working and it is essential now because AM radio is gone!

I'm not very satisfy with the way they service, does it have to do with Mr. Musk? As he's cutting cost!!! But recent encounter has taken some marks off definitely!

@kenysl, you seem quite upset about your X headlights being on all the time. Tesla may just be playing it safe and making sure they comply with Canadian regulations. You may be right that Tesla is going too far in keeping the headlights on all the time. I suggest that you keep in mind that the headlights are LED and that they not only draw very little current but also that they have an extremely long lifetime and are very unlikely to fail during the years you own the car.

I ran a number of Google searches. It is unclear to me if BC requires daytime running lights or not, and it is also unclear if the Model X DRLs qualify as daytime running lights or if only the headlights would.

Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

Daytime running lamps
4.08 A motor vehicle may be equipped with daytime running lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicleat a height of not less than 30 cm and not more than 2.11 m, that comply with the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ask TC Motor Vehicle Safety - Transport Canada

Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) and its Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (MVSRs) require that all new vehicles sold in (or imported into) Canada and built after December 1, 1989, be fitted with daytime running lights (DRLs) that go on when you start the vehicle.

Provincial/territorial governments have complete authority over the road system and its use, including the licensing, operation and maintenance of vehicles.

I too am annoyed about the headlights always being on but because I imagine going to a drive in movie some day. Will I be able to go with my Xs headlights lighting up the screen?? Is there a way to turn them off at night?

I am also not able to sign into TuneIn radio with my account. I didn't realize that this was an issue with other people!

I also notice with Slacker, if I want to play music by a band, it works for the first song but the subsequent songs are not by that same band.

I too am annoyed about the headlights always being on but because I imagine going to a drive in movie some day.
My first reaction to your post was simply laughter (there are still drive ins anywhere, particularly in a place like Ottawa where the season for using them would be so brief?) and then I did a Google search and discovered there in fact is a drive in movie theater in Gatineau! I was amazed. So apologies for my laughter. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Gymee
My first reaction to your post was simply laughter (there are still drive ins anywhere, particularly in a place like Ottawa where the season for using them would be so brief?) and then I did a Google search and discovered there in fact is a drive in movie theater in Gatineau! I was amazed. So apologies for my laughter. :)
I haven't been to one in years but when I lived in Toronto, I went probably 3 times a month weather permitted. When I saw that amazing windshield, it was my first thought!

Reactions: deonb
I think it is a Canadian rather than provincial regulation about DRLs and they have been required since 1989. But perhaps Tesla is using a different interpretation for the MX vs MS.

Well, I'm finding my Canadian Model S may or may not allow me to turn OFF headlights. This is relatively new news to me!!

I have not figured out the circumstances that, when sometimes turning the headlight switch to OFF, my headlights go ON. Or if they were on, will remain on.

Sometimes, I slide the switch to OFF, and they go OFF.

The state of the headlights are shown on the control screen and correctly reflect what is actually going on outside the car with the lamps. So it's not just fake feedback or buggy UI. The function is malformed somehow.

It is truly bizarre!

Here are variables I've been playing with... and have not been able to isolate the case. I think I'll get random ability to turn headlights off with any mix of:
- amount of ambient / daylight
- time of day
- while in Park
- while driving
- range mode on/off
- headlights remain on after exit (convenience setting)

This turning headlights OFF and they go ON behavior started sometime before V8, I noticed it maybe a month or two in advance, and now, with v8 the behavior has not changed. Still "random" ability to actually turn off headlights. I've had the car for 2 years and it didn't used to be like this!

The fact that it is sometimes possible to turn off headlights, makes it seem like a bug.

If I could never turn off headlights because of some DRL regulation in Canada, I'd call that an "unwelcome feature" (because it is a poor interpretation of the regulations). Oodles of modern cars use LED surrounds as DRL. I will contact Daniel Stern about this and get his take on it.. and see if Quebec or some province is "special" (well, more than we already know they are).

Tesla: when you give a user a control, OFF means OFF !! No if's and's or but's... just do it please.
Grey the control out, or grey out the position of the slider and don't allow it to slide there, if in fact your interpretation of DRL is that headlights cannot be switched off. Finish the UI the way a UI is supposed to work.

Or, fix your headlight off bug.

Last edited:
The Tesla guy must have misunderstood. The LED strip is sufficient for DRL usage. Just look at any Model S driving around - the LED strip is on, the headlight is off.

Oddly my refresh doesn't do this. The DRL are actually a row of LED in the centre of the headlight bezel. The LED surround strip only comes on at night when the headlights turn on. Weird. I like the look of the LED strip for DRL but like I say, mine doesn't do that

You shouldn't need a youtube video to operate a light switch. The fact that you do is a clear flaw in Tesla's implementation!

I was being polite. I could just have said "RTFM". I found it completely easy to set the car up for the drive in, and did not need the video, although I did come across it so I mentioned it to be helpful.

Your reply? Not as helpful sadly...

I was being polite. I could just have said "RTFM". I found it completely easy to set the car up for the drive in, and did not need the video, although I did come across it so I mentioned it to be helpful.

Your reply? Not as helpful sadly...
You think it's appropriate to need a manual to use a light switch?
Every other light switch I've ever used turns off when I select "off", Tesla inexplicably turns the headlights ON in such a case! Where in the manual is it documented that "off" actually means "on", and that to turn the lights off you actually need to open the door and lift your weight off the seat?