Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone:

After this summer and more than a couple long road trips into owning the car, I have had a chance to fully use the MX and I love this car. Absolutely love it. The car's infotainment system, the autopilot, the visiblity, and also comfort/handling is amazing. Easily best car I have own.

That being said, even something you love can be improved on.

As I finished my last weekend road trip, I got to thinking what I would improve on with MX. Like what changes could Tesla enact that would make the MX even better?

For me:

1) Windshield- I love the panoramic windshield but wished there was an option to not extend it so far back. Ideally, I would reduce windshield so sun wouldn't be beaming down onto driver and passenger as much.

2) Falcon Wings- After the novelty factor wears off, they're hard for passengers to get used to. The proximity sensor can be tripped off easily so they often open only half way. You can't also override them from the passenger side. You have to over ride them from center console. I don't know what I would replace them with but they make every day use of them not great. I haven't been them using them much but they creak now after a couple months in. they leak when opened when it rains. If Tesla would be able to offer falcon wings door option as an add on if people really want it and have standard doors as default option.

3) 2nd row seats. For the 6 or 7 seaters, I would love for them to fold flat similar to 5 seater. I don't really mind if they won't be able to be controlled from center console. The functionality I would get from laying them completely flat and having a flat level trunk would be enormous.

4) Storage space. Hopefully we can get more storage space in future. Like if falcon wings doors are eliminated for standard doors, they could add storage cubby space to doors.

5) Battery size- this is going to be hard to do but hopefully in future, Tesla can have an option for max range from 300 miles to 500 miles. Most ICE cars have a max range of 500 miles. 500 miles would be ideal to be able to do most long range road trips. Even with MX 100D I have now, if I average 70 mph on highway, with some hills and headwind and AP2 on, I average around 400kwh to 450 kwh. With 100D battery size, I end up averaging around 230-250 miles instead of 300 miles at 100% charge. Most of my daily or weekend road trips wouldn't exceed more than 400 miles. The extra cushion of 500 miles range would allow me to drive how I would normally drive on a long road trip.

Reactions: avesraggiana
2) Falcon Wings- After the novelty factor wears off, they're hard for passengers to get used to. The proximity sensor can be tripped off easily so they often open only half way. You can't also override them from the passenger side. You have to over ride them from center console. I don't know what I would replace them with but they make every day use of them not great. I haven't been them using them much but they creak now after a couple months in. they leak when opened when it rains. If Tesla would be able to offer falcon wings door option as an add on if people really want it and have standard doors as default option.

3) 2nd row seats. For the 6 or 7 seaters, I would love for them to fold flat similar to 5 seater. I don't really mind if they won't be able to be controlled from center console. The functionality I would get from laying them completely flat and having a flat level trunk would be enormous.

2) Why can't you override them from the passenger side? I override the doors on either side using the switch on the B pillar all the time. Or do you mean you can't override the driver side when you are on the passenger side and vice-versa?

3) 7 seaters now fold flat. They got rid of monopost on the 7 seaters. Manual operation, not as carseats friendly as before.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Hi everyone:

After this summer and more than a couple long road trips into owning the car, I have had a chance to fully use the MX and I love this car. Absolutely love it. The car's infotainment system, the autopilot, the visiblity, and also comfort/handling is amazing. Easily best car I have own.

That being said, even something you love can be improved on.

As I finished my last weekend road trip, I got to thinking what I would improve on with MX. Like what changes could Tesla enact that would make the MX even better?

For me:

1) Windshield- I love the panoramic windshield but wished there was an option to not extend it so far back. Ideally, I would reduce windshield so sun wouldn't be beaming down onto driver and passenger as much.

4) Storage space. Hopefully we can get more storage space in future. Like if falcon wings doors are eliminated for standard doors, they could add storage cubby space to doors.

5) Battery size- this is going to be hard to do but hopefully in future, Tesla can have an option for max range from 300 miles to 500 miles. Most ICE cars have a max range of 500 miles. 500 miles would be ideal to be able to do most long range road trips. Even with MX 100D I have now, if I average 70 mph on highway, with some hills and headwind and AP2 on, I average around 400kwh to 450 kwh. With 100D battery size, I end up averaging around 230-250 miles instead of 300 miles at 100% charge. Most of my daily or weekend road trips wouldn't exceed more than 400 miles. The extra cushion of 500 miles range would allow me to drive how I would normally drive on a long road trip.

All good to know. I just ordered the same battery size, but as a six-seater without the rear centre console. I had been wondering what real world range I would get. I tend to drive 80 to 85 mph when possible, giving me an average trip speed of 50 to 55 mph. I’m thinking I’d get even fewer miles than you.

2) Why can't you override them from the passenger side? I override the doors on either side using the switch on the B pillar all the time. Or do you mean you can't override the driver side when you are on the passenger side and vice-versa?

3) 7 seaters now fold flat. They got rid of monopost on the 7 seaters. Manual operation, not as carseats friendly as before.
I assume he means the person outside the car can't override the door without reaching in through the partially open door and holding the button or from the center console.

You can't also override them from the passenger side
I can on my X. Hold down the "up" button on the B pillar.
For the 6 or 7 seaters, I would love for them to fold flat similar to 5 seater.
The X 7 seat configuration has come with a fold flat second row for a few months now.
Battery size- this is going to be hard to do but hopefully in future, Tesla can have an option for max range from 300 miles to 500 miles.
The history of EVs and of Tesla shows that over time battery energy density increases which means longer range packs will become available. Patience...
I assume he means the person outside the car can't override the door without reaching in through the partially open door and holding the button
Okay, but that is pretty easy to do once you know where the switch is.

It is hard for some people to get used to something different...

Yeah most ICE cars gas tanks can go up to 500 miles. My last two ICE cars- Audi Q5, Mercedes E class sedan. I think it’s a number where most drivers will do on one day road trip.

I have an Audi Q5 and have never gotten 500 miles on a tank. On paper it should be capable of 534 miles of highway driving. My real world exp has been closer to 375 because you never run the car to empty (usually fill up 17 gallons of the 19.8 b gallon tank) and engine friction with their 2.0L engine is noticable in milage lost after a few hundred miles into fresh oil.

I haven't seen an ICE Manu advertise range, it makes no sense. Gas stations are everywhere, no one cars about range. Most people don't even know the size of their tank. They do care about MPG because of cost.

I had a 2012 Audi 2.0 Q5 and range after fill up to top was 515 miles. It was mostly accurate on highway road trips- plus minus 5%. I would run it down to last 20-30 miles. Never had an issue with car when I turned it in when i picked up my MX.