Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Launch invites have gone out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a fine opinion to think that this is the best a company can do and everyone should just be happy.

It also a fine opinion to be ticked off to finally see return on your $40k investment and then realize you can't be a part of the celebration because of prior commitments.

Most people are simply suggesting Tesla strive to be better customer communication. No reason to continue to express shock that people think Tesla can get better at this. It is a very reasonable opinion, and one that most would agree will help Tesla be more successful in the long run.

To be fair, what are people expecting if there was a larger window time?

With more preparation time, the event could have been completely RSVP'd out, with no space available within two hours.

With more preparation time, they might have limited sigs to just a very small number rather than opening it up to people who would really want to go and would open up their schedule and fly cross-country on short notice.

This is very typically Tesla style, and also likely a kneejerk reaction to the kneejerk reactions on the forums here about the MX.

Yup, one way to limit the number of people coming is to announce it at the last minute (or 8 days out). I'm sure that they would get a packed house regardless, but if they gave people even more time, it would have been even more unmanageable.

Yup, one way to limit the number of people coming is to announce it at the last minute (or 8 days out). I'm sure that they would get a packed house regardless, but if they gave people even more time, it would have been even more unmanageable.

Yep, the place they are having it at looks quite small. Would hate to have to accommodate all of those people who gave you $50M in interest free deposits to a 2 hour reception.

Seriously, sometimes I wonder.......

OK, got invite, RSVP'd yes, flights booked, car rented, hotel nailed. All in.

To paraphrase someone from the Model S forum, I was already 90% there, but when I got the invitation I was so there I arrived yesterday!

To reintroduce a recent effort...

Twas the Night Before Xmas

'Twas the night before Xmas and all through the forum,
The posters were antsy, they'd thrown out decorum!

Their stocks had gone up at the end of last week,
In the hopes that St. Elon would send out a Tweet.

The Res. holders were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of falcon wings danced in their heads.

While Bonnie in her Roadster and Nigel in his 'S',
Had just settled down to let their fingers rest.

When over at Fremont there arose such a clatter,
A new thread was started to discuss what was the matter.

LED headlights started to flash,
And v7.0 appeared on the dash!

The moonlight at Hawthorne started to show,
That the launch of this next model was 'all systems go'.

When what to our wondering eyes did appear,
But the new Model X! This was no mule, dear.

With a wing-walking driver, no way Exxon's pawn,
We knew in a moment this must be Elon!

More rapid than falcons this SUV came,
And he laughed and joked and called it 'Insane':

Now JB, now Deepak, now Franz and Chris Porritt!
On Diarmuid, on Jerome and George B. before it,

To the top of the sales charts, to to the ships in the ports!
get cars to customers, (and Consumer Reports)!

As blurry videos showed before the car was yet driven,
The 'X' is amazing, delays are forgiven!

So out to the Founders and showrooms they flew,
Went trucks full of Xs and Elon went too!

And then, in the media, we heard with a cheer,
Motor Trend, once again, said 'Car of the Year'!

As we checked on our status, and deliv. date projections,
Elon streamed a reveal that showed all the options!

He was dressed all in black, clothes Talulah had picked,
And we swear his sunglasses were electrochromic!

Purchase agreements, he had in a stack,
Those old auto dealers were taken aback!

His projections, how they fluttered, and while recently wary,
50,000 deliveries did not seem so scary,

With autonomous here, and a little more code,
The Model X would have its own 'Ludicrous' mode.

The second row seats, how they swivel to greet,
And a titanium shield still lurks beneath,

The nose has a cone and the rear can tow plenty,
And with a big battery pack it exceeds 120.

It was stylish and sleek, an SUMV*,
We all knew the servers would blow at TMC.

This is the future, we're all into EVs,
And it gave us a great hope for the new Model 3s.

We are grateful for Tesla and all their great work,
Ignore Holman Jenkins, the miserable jerk.

So here's to the Founders and Signatures too,
Powerwall, Powerpack and Gig Factory 2.

Elon sprang to the Hyperloop, SpaceX had a countdown,
There's a lot on his plate, don't let it get him down,

But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
"Solar panels to all, let's be powered by light".

*SUMV = Sports Utility Mini Van

Respectfully, you did miss the point. It's not about accommodating people's schedules, it's about being consistent with communication.

If an event was planned for the 29th, then let your customers who you are asking to pay 100K before ever seeing the car have a chance to actually see it. Simply sending out an announcement a couple weeks in advance would give people more time to plan to make it.

If you don't want to announce the event more than 8 days before, fine but stop telling people specifically that there is no event.

This isn't about one person being more important to be invited, this is simple business that Tesla should aspire to do better. They are not some cash strapped startup anymore, they should attempt to treat customers like customers and not simply people who will wait forever and give them 100K sight unseen.

Does anyone have any information regarding the format of the event? Will there be any hands on time with Model X? Test drives? Just watching other folks get their cars and then drinking Elon's beer for an hour before going home?

It it's just watching others get cars I'm going to have to pass. My wife is already out of town and I would have to arrange child care for my 3 kids while I popped down and back (probably in the same day).

I emailed and was told *drumroll please* they don't know yet! :eyeroll:

After reading the last two pages I had to smile. Over a week ago I sent an RSVP to decline a dinner engagement at the end of the month. I didn't care what anyone said, I didn't want to miss any last minute plans that Tesla is famous for. I missed an event before, so I kept the calendar clear. There was a hint several weeks ago when the denials had the, "If anything changes, we will let you know" type of ending. It doesn't hurt to have a Pollyanna attitude. Look for the good in others and think of something good no matter the situation. For those who can attend, be happy, even when staring at the cost of transportation and lodging. For those who cannot be at the Tesla Model X Launch Event, then enjoy it on the livestream. I missed the Supercharger and NYC Motor Trend events but was surprised to list 12 others (including store openings and beta events) where the last minute invites worked out. Always make sure your EV is charged and read your emails. And for some lucky folks, their work to get referrals will land them the ultimate prize of an invite to the Gigafactory opening. I'd need to send out a ton of emails to approach the results that the web wizards have succeeded in accomplishing. Above all, congratulations to all who have purchased a Tesla Electric Vehicle. Driving a Tesla gives you a winning smile every day!

What if??? [event format]

Here's my personal take on the event having followed the company since late 2010 (total speculation of course)...

Between the factory and the event there's 2.6 miles of public (Kato Rd), yet I would imagine fairly quiet road, especially at that time of the day (only taken it once during the factory event in 2011, so please correct me if I'm wrong).

What if they were to demonstrate the new autopilot's capabilities by staging the event as something like "from the factory to your home" in (semi-?) autonomous mode? Imagine EM behind the wheel doing some monkey business and as soon as the car arrives on stage they unveil all the details...

For several years in a row (supercharger, D + semething else to name but a few), they've used this time (september/october-ish) to unveil something new/big.

Last edited:
I found this list of invitation etiquette on the interwebs, seems like Tesla was spot on!

The Event When to Invite
Anniversary party 3 to 6 weeks
Bar or Bat Mitzvah 1 month
Bon Voyage party Last minute to 3 weeks
Casual party Same day to 2 weeks
Charity Ball 6 weeks to 3 months
Christmas party 1 month
Cocktail party 1 to 4 weeks
Debutante Ball 6 weeks to 3 months
Formal dinner 3 to 6 weeks
Graduation party 3 weeks
Housewarming party A few days to 3 weeks
Informal dinner A few days to 3 weeks
Lunch or Tea A few days to 2 weeks
Model X Launch 8 days
Thanksgiving dinner 2 weeks to 2 months

Emily Post - Invitation Timing: When to Send Out the Invitations

If any of you lucky Sigs haven't RSVP'd yet, I'd love to go as your guest! I'm Production 83. I reserved at 12:01 PM one minute after the website opened on day 1. People who made it to the Model X Prototype event in Hawthorne the evening before reserved before me.

I have a house in Fremont, where I can see the factory below about 2 miles away.

The event at 901 Page Avenue (not the factory - see photos below) starts at 7 pm. I'll treat you to dinner anywhere you choose prior to the event in Fremont as a token of my appreciation. Please PM me if interested.

Thanks!
Russ

View attachment 95111
View attachment 95112
View attachment 95113
View attachment 95114

Any luck? You may have to throw in a coffee stop at nearby Pink Pantherz Expresso drive thru. :biggrin:

After reading the last two pages I had to smile. Over a week ago I sent an RSVP to decline a dinner engagement at the end of the month. I didn't care what anyone said, I didn't want to miss any last minute plans that Tesla is famous for. I missed an event before, so I kept the calendar clear. There was a hint several weeks ago when the denials had the, "If anything changes, we will let you know" type of ending. It doesn't hurt to have a Pollyanna attitude.

That's great for you Mark, but you're already in California and just had to keep your evenings free. It's not quite that simple when the trip from the east coast means having to keep a couple of weeks clear of all commitments, day and night. I was told a few days back "no event" and I know others were also, so no "if anything changes..." type message.

The history of livestreaming these events has been poor so I'll look forward to watching a recording. I hope all those who can make it enjoy the evening, but please stop suggesting I did anything wrong by believing what what I was told.

After reading the last two pages I had to smile. Over a week ago I sent an RSVP to decline a dinner engagement at the end of the month. I didn't care what anyone said, I didn't want to miss any last minute plans that Tesla is famous for. I missed an event before, so I kept the calendar clear. There was a hint several weeks ago when the denials had the, "If anything changes, we will let you know" type of ending. It doesn't hurt to have a Pollyanna attitude. Look for the good in others and think of something good no matter the situation. For those who can attend, be happy, even when staring at the cost of transportation and lodging. For those who cannot be at the Tesla Model X Launch Event, then enjoy it on the livestream. I missed the Supercharger and NYC Motor Trend events but was surprised to list 12 others (including store openings and beta events) where the last minute invites worked out. Always make sure your EV is charged and read your emails. And for some lucky folks, their work to get referrals will land them the ultimate prize of an invite to the Gigafactory opening. I'd need to send out a ton of emails to approach the results that the web wizards have succeeded in accomplishing. Above all, congratulations to all who have purchased a Tesla Electric Vehicle. Driving a Tesla gives you a winning smile every day!

I agree there were hints for keeping the calendar clear, if it was just about that. Enough to buy (possibly multiple) plain tickets for and making hotel reservations in time? It becomes a bit more iffy when it is not just about keeping a night clear of a dinner.

I don't think the notion that Tesla could be considerate of folks a bit further away is unreasonable. Two weeks notice would have been significantly better than one. Save a date without topic a month earlier, perfect. Given that Tesla knew of September 29th date already some time ago, these things would certainly have been possible for them.

p.s. Not talking for myself in this particular instance. If I wanted to attend, I could. But I understand in many cases it would be unrealistic given the short notice and distance. And no, I don't have a private jet, just an opening in the schedule. :)

- - - Updated - - -

That's great for you Mark, but you're already in California and just had to keep your evenings free. It's not quite that simple when the trip from the east coast means having to keep a couple of weeks clear of all commitments, day and night. I was told a few days back "no event" and I know others were also, so no "if anything changes..." type message.

The history of livestreaming these events has been poor so I'll look forward to watching a recording. I hope all those who can make it enjoy the evening, but please stop suggesting I did anything wrong by believing what what I was told.

Maybe we should have been more active in trying to gain unofficial understanding of the September 29th event! Some good old fashioned speculation might have saved the day. :)