Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X LED Headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aren't the cornering lights at the bottom the same as the ones in the MS? Those are what illuminate into the turn, not the headlights, isn't it?
Yes but those are nowhere near as bright as the headlights so I find them useful only at low speeds to illuminate curbs and low objects near the car.

Does it appear the beam is shifting as it is being driven around?
That is the video I posted just upthread. I see no evidence in that video that the headlight beams move with the steering. Note that the LED headlights are very bright and wide. But they appear fixed to me. I could be wrong, of course. I was not at the event. But I would think that if the LED headlights "steered" around corners that would have been noticed by at least one of the hundreds of people who got X test rides, and the Tesla drivers would have mentioned it!

Last edited by a moderator:
My former 2013 Audi S6 had full LED, but they did not swivel
It really bothered me, especially on back roads with limited lighting
I guess it's not as easy to make LEDs swivel as Xenons
Perhaps having a few headlight bulbs dedicated for corner lighting would be nice
And X might even have those in the top row or in the inner edge of the housing , who knows...
I noticed that not all LED bulb lit when the car is on

In this video you can see the headlights behaving a little different, the top row is activated - which hasn't been seen previously

[video]https://mobile.twitter.com/CitrixCEO/status/650301934469943296/video/1[/video]

In this video you can see the headlights behaving a little different, the top row is activated - which hasn't been seen previously[video]https://mobile.twitter.com/CitrixCEO/status/650301934469943296/video/1[/video]
Interesting. What I see is that just before the car stops moving, the driver may have turned the wheels slightly to the right and the innermost right headlight LED turns off. I see no indication that the lit LEDs pivot, but if they did it would be only slightly because the wheels have barely moved, and it probably would not be noticeable in video taken during the day.

I suspect the cornering lights are activated when in reverse (a lot of cars do this). When the car is put in park it shuts off. The interesting thing is I originally thought that top row would of been the turn signal

Uh, maybe not. Looking through the recent gallery posted by Mark Templeton, Founder #3 owner, I found this gem. Looks like Xenon after all...

image.jpeg

It also says "rear facing seats."
Yeah, that's a Model S P90D dealer sticker that they only modified by putting "Model X" at the top, plus a bit about LATCH in 2nd and 3rd rows. The rest of it shows Model S options like the rear-facing seats, and "Premium Interior Lighting" (on there twice). I think they kind of cobbled that dealer sticker together for the launch event and it's not a definitive resource on Model X features.

UPDATE: you beat me to it. :)

I'm just going to leave this here (via FB):

Google Photos

So much coolness in this video!!

Gone! Saw it but did not know how to save it to disk. HTML5 video of three engineers (two in plaid shirts) demonstrating their side project. Three MX’s face a small audience in a dark room. The lights go out and the cars are illuminted in silhoutte by red backlighting. Trans Siberian Orchestra Wizards in Winter begins playing over speakers. Headlights, driving, fog, and turning lights all start flashing in time with the music. Think synchronized house Christmas lights but with cars (2009 - Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Wizards in Winter - YouTube ). About half way through the performance the falcon wings open and then flap (yes, really flap). The falcons stay up and the front doors slowly open, close, and slowly flap. In the final cadences doors are moving and lights are flashing and the audience is cheering.

- - - Updated - - -

MX on the left is Blue, two on the right are White. (who’s might they be?)
Screenshot
Screen Shot 2015-12-23 at 9.40.48 AM.jpg