Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X LR and Plaid Brake Upgrade Now Available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the Big Brake kit from RB brakes for my X Plaid. With steel lines and Motul fluid, its a revelation, and much needed for a nearly three ton behemoth stopping from warp speed.... The braking envelope is more, it doesnt fade as much, the brake feel (secondary to me) is actually much nicer. All in all, glad I did it. With more rubber (285 and 275) its a good upgrade. Plaid is too much for the *sugar* chassis, brake upgrades go some way to making it more balanced. Increase power, but increase braking is a good thing...

Reactions: Daytonaviolet
I got the Big Brake kit from RB brakes for my X Plaid. With steel lines and Motul fluid, its a revelation, and much needed for a nearly three ton behemoth stopping from warp speed.... The braking envelope is more, it doesnt fade as much, the brake feel (secondary to me) is actually much nicer. All in all, glad I did it. With more rubber (285 and 275) its a good upgrade. Plaid is too much for the *sugar* chassis, brake upgrades go some way to making it more balanced. Increase power, but increase braking is a good thing...
What’s included and cost ?

I got this - Save 10% on OE Caliper BBK (410/390) for Tesla X Plaid Front and Rear (P/N 2691 & 2643) and I recommend you DONT get the steel lines from them - get them from Unplugged or similar as RB dont tell you their lines flap about - as they didnt come with brackets to keep them in check! Ask me how I know... anyways I now have the unplugged brake lines. And Motul fluid, which is pretty on the nose and cheap enough for high capability brake systems. I cannot justify even in man maths to get some carbon ceramics, and wont be tracking the car often enough for ceramics. These get me close enough for my use case. Other than that, these are now the brakes the car should have come with as a Plaid.

Reactions: Daytonaviolet
Note. The above isnt fake caliper etc. etc. The limiting factor on the X Plaid brake kits has always been the brake pad and size of rotor, steel lines and upgraded fluid are sensible related things to do when you are in there anyways. The calipers are not too bad from the Plaid, you can see that when you get the wheels off.

Note. The above isnt fake caliper etc. etc. The limiting factor on the X Plaid brake kits has always been the brake pad and size of rotor, steel lines and upgraded fluid are sensible related things to do when you are in there anyways. The calipers are not too bad from the Plaid, you can see that when you get the wheels off.
RB kit uses oem caliper right ? So in the rear it’s still the same faux caliper cover 😜

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Just thought I should check in with my experience with this upgrade from Tesla. I have a '22 MSP and had received the news about the brake upgrade. I scheduled it, and was told it was $2,700.00. I picked the car up today and it was done without charge. Zero.

The details of the upgrade say: Pay Type "Goodwill - Service"

I hoped for this because it feels like the right thing to do, but never expected it.

Just thought I should check in with my experience with this upgrade from Tesla. I have a '22 MSP and had received the news about the brake upgrade. I scheduled it, and was told it was $2,700.00. I picked the car up today and it was done without charge. Zero.

The details of the upgrade say: Pay Type "Goodwill - Service"

I hoped for this because it feels like the right thing to do, but never expected it.
This is awesome. 👏. I had made a SC hoping to get this done too.. but my SC canceled my appointment because the parts were 8-10 weeks out. I was quoted $2900 w/tax

One of the issues I put on my service ticket during my X's visit last week was that my brake pedal had become very "squishy" and it now takes a lot more pressure to make the car come to a complete stop with the brake pedal. At first, they suggested I might need the new upgraded brake pads (for $750) and I had to agree to the possible upgrade on my service ticket (which I did). The service writer drove my car and confirmed the squishy brake pedal feel.

After picking up my car the service ticket said, "Inspected all 4 brake caliper lines and no leaks present. Inspected the ABS module lines and master cylinder lines and ensured all of them are tight. No signs of any brake leaks. Performed brake bleeding procedure and retest drove vehicle verifying that pedal is now firm as expected."

Of course, the brakes feel exactly the same, and it still takes more effort to stop the car than it did for the past 1.5 years I've had my Plaid X. I guess I will complain again and tell them just to put on the $750 brake pads and see if that fixes the issue.

One of the issues I put on my service ticket during my X's visit last week was that my brake pedal had become very "squishy" and it now takes a lot more pressure to make the car come to a complete stop with the brake pedal. At first, they suggested I might need the new upgraded brake pads (for $750) and I had to agree to the possible upgrade on my service ticket (which I did). The service writer drove my car and confirmed the squishy brake pedal feel.

After picking up my car the service ticket said, "Inspected all 4 brake caliper lines and no leaks present. Inspected the ABS module lines and master cylinder lines and ensured all of them are tight. No signs of any brake leaks. Performed brake bleeding procedure and retest drove vehicle verifying that pedal is now firm as expected."

Of course, the brakes feel exactly the same, and it still takes more effort to stop the car than it did for the past 1.5 years I've had my Plaid X. I guess I will complain again and tell them just to put on the $750 brake pads and see if that fixes the issue.
Are these the red brakes ?