Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X LR and Plaid Brake Upgrade Now Available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the quote I got. It includes 4 new brake hose 😜

Attachments

• IMG_2354.jpeg
    IMG_2354.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Funny
Reactions: BayAreaCelt
You guys might be too harsh on Tesla for this.
They do not advertise shorter stopping distances, but more reduction on initial fade and better brake feel. This could be because new calipers have better cooling/venting, better brake lines or switching to a different spec caliper (visually the same).
If this is the case, the pricing is not all that bad as you get a cosmetic upgrade plus better feel.
Imagine that few will go this route, but some will feel that just the cosmetics alone will be worth the price.

Other manufacturers offer major brake upgrades which significantly offer even higher levels of track performance with ceramic discs. The price of these upgrades, which usually result in poorer street performance is $$$$$! (but the do look great)
I will go out on a (short and strong) limb and say that the calipers are exactly the same as before, just painted red instead of black. They are providing different pads. Bottom line is that this is a massive rip-off for what you get. Most of the cost is the labor to do the swap. You could install new pads yourself for $600 or so.

Other manufacturer's brake upgrades often involve larger rotors, different calipers, and different pads. I do agree that the value of ceramic brakes for street use is dubious as they don't work very well until hot. But there are some very good performance street pads out there. I like the Carbotech 1521s but there are others.

I will go out on a (short and strong) limb and say that the calipers are exactly the same as before, just painted red instead of black. They are providing different pads. Bottom line is that this is a massive rip-off for what you get. Most of the cost is the labor to do the swap. You could install new pads yourself for $600 or so.

Other manufacturer's brake upgrades often involve larger rotors, different calipers, and different pads. I do agree that the value of ceramic brakes for street use is dubious as they don't work very well until hot. But there are some very good performance street pads out there. I like the Carbotech 1521s but there are others.
Carbon ceramics are noisy as hell in colder climates. Plus it’s overkill for a daily basis use.

I’m curious why anyone would need better brake performance, I barely touch my brakes on my M3, had it 5 years and brakes still completely fine. Is there more braking needed on the MX because of weight?
I have an MX Plaid on order so mostly just curious.

I’m curious why anyone would need better brake performance, I barely touch my brakes on my M3, had it 5 years and brakes still completely fine. Is there more braking needed on the MX because of weight?
If I were to do it, it’s for the red calipers and larger rear faux caliper. My 23 mxp came with black calipers.

Reactions: towndrunk
With the Model X you *will* need to use them more than with a 3 or Y. Just because the weight carries inertia and you have to fight that. And if you use the ”plaid” features you’ll find it can‘t stop anywhere near the level of it’s go… But I’d argue you likely don’t need it unless you plan to track it or drive like the open roads are a track.

If I were to do it, it’s for the red calipers and larger rear faux caliper. My 23 mxp came with black calipers.
Here you go..

Here you go..
Yes been thinking about buying the rear calipers which has the larger faux covers and paint the fronts

I agree. I have SPlaid with new color calipers and pads. I am wondering why I should pay 15K for ceramic brakes (I would not get tires). It seems like a complete waste of money unless you want to race on a track.

Reactions: TallCoolOne