Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X LR and Plaid Brake Upgrade Now Available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following my upper post, I have tried to obtain more technical precisions and finally, after confusing replies, I have find the right technician who served me a long time ago but had changed of S.C.

Here is the truth...
the upgrade includes:
- New brake pads
– New red brake calipers kit WITH NEW REAR CALIPERS, they match the e-mail picture (not a simple plastic cover!)
- As the rear calipers are different, the rear brakes lines are changed
– Change of brake fluid (still standard DOT 3 one)
The full price is approx. $ 2700.00 (depends of the money and VAT in your country)

Hope this help !
My God! I got my hands on this video
that proves that Tesla’s statements about those famous new rear calipers are a real pure lie, it’s simply a scam and I advise everyone to spread this information.

Tesla came down low...

As I said, nobody in the Service Centers is aware about they really sell, only mechanics know it but they cannot inform the customers at the time of their choice.

someone posted this on FB... $2700 lol no thanks

View attachment 973299
At $2700 for all 4 calipers and brakes you would think that sounds like a crazy price. My last vehicle was a Trackhawk and I had to have just the 2 front calipers and pads replaced under warranty.....$3500. That beast stopped on a dine relatively speaking. I would pay for that upgrade in a heartbeat if it could make my MXP stop as fast as the Trackhawk.

At $2700 for all 4 calipers and brakes you would think that sounds like a crazy price. My last vehicle was a Trackhawk and I had to have just the 2 front calipers and pads replaced under warranty.....$3500. That beast stopped on a dine relatively speaking. I would pay for that upgrade in a heartbeat if it could make my MXP stop as fast as the Trackhawk.

Buy better tires and it'll stop in a shorter distance.

Following my upper post, I have tried to obtain more technical precisions and finally, after confusing replies, I have find the right technician who served me a long time ago but had changed of S.C.

Here is the truth...
the upgrade includes:
- New brake pads
– New red brake calipers kit WITH NEW REAR CALIPERS, they match the e-mail picture (not a simple plastic cover!)
- As the rear calipers are different, the rear brakes lines are changed
– Change of brake fluid (still standard DOT 3 one)
The full price is approx. $ 2700.00 (depends of the money and VAT in your country)

Hope this help !

I’m questioning this as well. From the pics it appears to be the same black calipers painted red. I know I can get my existing calipers painted red but the fit and finish would not be oem. All the ones I’ve seen painted red also has the toed style front bolt painted as well. Here’s the quote I got ans im not sure if I’ll do it 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_2354.jpeg
    IMG_2354.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 179
After discovering the truth about these "new rear brakes" that are not at all, I contacted the Service Center again who had misinformed me and told them my way of thinking about this unacceptable lie.
Instead of apologizing and telling me that they were going to make an official denial to clarify things so that customers do not feel cheated, the following was answered this morning:
"I confirm that we are replacing the complete brake calipers with new red calipers"
Nice way to answer without really answering!

Hard to be confident after that :mad:

Reactions: ZuleMYP
After discovering the truth about these "new rear brakes" that are not at all, I contacted the Service Center again who had misinformed me and told them my way of thinking about this unacceptable lie.
Instead of apologizing and telling me that they were going to make an official denial to clarify things so that customers do not feel cheated, the following was answered this morning:
"I confirm that we are replacing the complete brake calipers with new red calipers"
Nice way to answer without really answering!

Hard to be confident after that :mad:

Other then the lines, pads and rear caliper cover it’s same but in red. In this pic, you can see the red caliper cover is much larger.

But overall If your after red calipers and new updated pads and you can sell oem black calipers .. it’s not that bad of a deal

Attachments

• IMG_2363.jpeg
    IMG_2363.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2364.png
    IMG_2364.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 134
My God! I got my hands on this video
that proves that Tesla’s statements about those famous new rear calipers are a real pure lie, it’s simply a scam and I advise everyone to spread this information.

Tesla came down low...

As I said, nobody in the Service Centers is aware about they really sell, only mechanics know it but they cannot inform the customers at the time of their choice.
Wow; I just checked my brand new 2023 Plaid (June) and it’s exactly this, what a load of crap To pretend it’s something it’s not. I have no problem with it as-is; but they really should advertise truth, not marketing gimmicks.

Reactions: ngng and BlueBeast
Yes, the red cover is much larger but it's only a cosmetic change, the caliper stay the same as the black one.
With the "new" red cover the rear calipers appear less ridiculous in size but will never deliver better braking power...

I can live without red calipers and for the pads, I just fitted GS-1 type of G-Loc pads 2 weeks before to receive the Tesla e-mail.

Check out this thread with some great pictures of both the black and red calipers. Bottom line is that the calipers are the same. Tesla just added a shroud on the rear to make it look bigger. You could have your calipers painted and better pads installed for WAY less than $2,700.

“Since you’re spending $2700 for do-nothing caliper aesthetic upgrades we’ll toss in a new set of untested brake lines! That’s right, why continue driving on your non-leaking old lines when you can help us test that our quality control didn’t f’ this pair up too! We’ll even attempt to flush your system, maybe. Depends if our techs feel like it.”

Reactions: Daytonaviolet
You guys might be too harsh on Tesla for this.
They do not advertise shorter stopping distances, but more reduction on initial fade and better brake feel. This could be because new calipers have better cooling/venting, better brake lines or switching to a different spec caliper (visually the same).
If this is the case, the pricing is not all that bad as you get a cosmetic upgrade plus better feel.
Imagine that few will go this route, but some will feel that just the cosmetics alone will be worth the price.

Other manufacturers offer major brake upgrades which significantly offer even higher levels of track performance with ceramic discs. The price of these upgrades, which usually result in poorer street performance is $$$$$! (but the do look great)

• Funny
Reactions: strider
You guys might be too harsh on Tesla for this.
They do not advertise shorter stopping distances, but more reduction on initial fade and better brake feel. This could be because new calipers have better cooling/venting, better brake lines or switching to a different spec caliper (visually the same).
If this is the case, the pricing is not all that bad as you get a cosmetic upgrade plus better feel.
Imagine that few will go this route, but some will feel that just the cosmetics alone will be worth the price.

Other manufacturers offer major brake upgrades which significantly offer even higher levels of track performance with ceramic discs. The price of these upgrades, which usually result in poorer street performance is $$$$$! (but the do look great)

But I think you get 100% of the benefit with the $750 brake pad upgrade (which is real) or you could go aftermarket pads for less and about the same upgrade. The caliper cover you could argue I suppose has more thermal mass and thus would allow you longer before it heats up, but it’s the pads/rotor that heat, I don’t buy that the caliper cover is going to do much for cooling.