Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X makes cycling noise every 5 min

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every 5 min, the car consistently makes this cycling noise, not sure if it is compressor, hydraulic, fluids, or what else. It lasts for 30 sec with a click, a slow vibration like sound, and then a low constant sound. I don't know if a firmware update caused it or something unrelated. It started doing this cycling thing in spring. Garage temp is 55-65 F year round. Mobile service tech said nothing wrong with hardware. I sent them a video, and nothing came of it.

1) Does the mobile tech or someone else look at the time stamped logs and videos?
2) What could it be?
3) Can I download a log myself?
4) How else can I contact Tesla firmware side to look into it before having mobile service come out again?

I don't want the parts to wear out from doing this cycling thing every 5 min. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions. I am attaching video.

I really cannot notice anything, but if you want your car to go into deep sleep keep your key fobs away from your car. My car cycles if I in my office above the garage. I keep the fobs in a drawer 3 rooms from the garage

Thanks @jboy210 You have to turn the volume way up to hear the cycling noises. It's a couple of different things turning on and off. I keep my key in an RF blocker so the car doesn't wake up. I do notice with all this cycling this year, it uses about 10 miles a week even if it just sits in the garage whereas it used to be 1-2 miles a week.

Thanks @jboy210 You have to turn the volume way up to hear the cycling noises. It's a couple of different things turning on and off. I keep my key in an RF blocker so the car doesn't wake up. I do notice with all this cycling this year, it uses about 10 miles a week even if it just sits in the garage whereas it used to be 1-2 miles a week.
Interesting. Do you have both keys in blockers. Also, there are other settings that can cause the car not to sleep. This thread goes into some.

@VikH I think you are onto something!!! I looked at the vents with fins inside (louvers?) and they are opening and closing while making those clicky noises. I wonder why they have to open/close every 5 min?? See video:

Last edited:
Reactions: VikH
@VikH I think you are onto something!!! I looked at the vents with fins inside (louvers?) and they are opening and closing while making those clicky noises. I wonder why they have to open/close every 5 min?? See video:

That sounds ridiculous. Definitely not normal even for Tesla's "normal" standard. Can you take it to a different service center?

Reactions: tmxninja

You have any silicon spray? When I was a mechanic we used to use that to fix similar issue with linkages. VWs were famous for making noises like this from their heating system air doors and electric fans

That sounds ridiculous. Definitely not normal even for Tesla's "normal" standard. Can you take it to a different service center?

Doing just that with mobile service since it's under warranty. As it keeps turning on (car is not charging and garage is temperate), some sensor must be going nuts.

Last edited:
You have any silicon spray? When I was a mechanic we used to use that to fix similar issue with linkages. VWs were famous for making noises like this from their heating system air doors and electric fans

Good point. I do have spray, and I am trying to figure out if I can reach it without dissembling. Since it turns on 10x per hour, there is more going on than linkages. I hope Tesla service can figure it out. I am curious about the CAN bus kits, so I might check out the log myself.

Last edited: