Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its not a matter of "thinner" sidewall per see but less sidewall. I have yet to see a sporty larger diameter wheel offering decent sidewall protection. Generally as the wheel size goes up, the trend is for the ratio of the sidewall to go down and that results in excessive noise, about 5% less range, harsher ride, more tire wear and more expensive tires that need to be replaced more often. Also due to less side wall you have more propensity for wheel and tire damage due to the laws of physics... Having said all that I am sure some people like the "look" of the larger wheels and perhaps any edge in handling they get but those larger wheels are not for everyone.

Thinner side wall or lower aspect ratio is the same as less side wall at least that's what I meant. There are trade offs but the look and handling are what people are looking after for the lower profile tires. Ultimate handling may not be that important on an SUV as few would want to track one or to drive very aggressively with it.

Its not a matter of "thinner" sidewall per see but less sidewall. I have yet to see a sporty larger diameter wheel offering decent sidewall protection. Generally as the wheel size goes up, the trend is for the ratio of the sidewall to go down and that results in excessive noise, about 5% less range, harsher ride, more tire wear and more expensive tires that need to be replaced more often. Also due to less side wall you have more propensity for wheel and tire damage due to the laws of physics... Having said all that I am sure some people like the "look" of the larger wheels and perhaps any edge in handling they get but those larger wheels are not for everyone.

Spoken like a true New Yorker (or New Jersey). Many of these folks have not had the wonderful opportunity of trying to dodge our famous potholes at 60+mph with cars on both sides of you. In our area, tire insurance is a must, but it's still a hassle to have to replace them, or even worse to be broken down on the side of the road in a sketchy area.

Spoken like a true New Yorker (or New Jersey). Many of these folks have not had the wonderful opportunity of trying to dodge our famous potholes at 60+mph with cars on both sides of you. In our area, tire insurance is a must, but it's still a hassle to have to replace them, or even worse to be broken down on the side of the road in a sketchy area.

Yup. Been there, done that! This is why as a rule I get the wheels with the most sidewall I can find :tongue:

It would be interesting to see what wheel options are available with the Model X. I bet a lot of people who have been clamoring for the 20" wheels might see their wish granted.

Personally I'd still get the wheels that are the most durable, comfortable, and offers the greatest range over "looks" or potential benefits in adhesion at the limits of the car's performance.

In relation to Model X 2nd row seats - perhaps it has been discussed elsewhere so forgive if it is in the wrong forum, but I am wondering about the 2nd row seats having the ability to swivel and slide outwards enabling someone to sit down basically at the side of the car and easily ingress into the car.

Also as far as the extensive windshield without cross pillar I am wondering how significant this could be for crash protection and may impact safety rating of the vehicle. Surely this must account for the "most difficult car in the world to make" also.

Wow, that sounds awesome, though I am wondering about the extra cost of such glass, and how much current is required power it.
Very little electricity, definitely some cost over simply tinted, laminated glass. As I understand it, the nano elements are randomly scattered when there is no current, so they are opaque. When you apply a little electricity, those little suckers get organized and lined up, turning the glass transparent. Varying the voltage tweaks the transparency/opacity.

Photochromic glass?!?!?
oh please let it be true, and available for all the windows.

I think it is the only thing that would make sense. If you have a glas roof, you need a way to shield the sun if it is hot. I don´t see a way to achieve that mechanically, a sun shield behind the glas would have to move somewhere (no space I see) or fold (not very elegant). A permanent shield is not an option either, because then the whole idea of a glas roof does not make sense. Which really only leaves smart glas as an option IMHO...

I think I saw a spacex video where there is a room that has glass that changes colour when someone aproaches or something
color matching car paint with electrochromic pigments is difficult to the point of being impossible.
Not only do the colors need to have the same triluminous value in one lighting condition, but a full spectral color match.
And that's just the start. Translucency, (anisotropic - ) specular reflections, iridescencent pigments (changing colors with angle) etc.

In short I'm pretty sure the blue glass is just painted.

I think I saw a spacex video where there is a room that has glass that changes colour when someone aproaches or something
Yes, you have seen it in one of Musk's early documentaries where he takes the reporter/interviewer for a tour of the spaceX office. When somebody enters the meeting room the glass becomes translucent. As the previous poster said, thats way too trivial compared to color matching.

It was the glass walls of their conference room and when activated it just made the glass get darker.

Similar technology Mercedes uses for their "Magic Sky Control" feature in the SLK and the new S Class:

Last edited by a moderator:
While a color match to the body paint would be awesome, I'm cool with just a tint effect.
I saw a couple of different mechanisms for an electric smart glass when wikipedi-ing this earlier, if this type of thing a cause for the relative delayedness in MX release, all will be forgiven!
Praise Elon!

I think it is the only thing that would make sense. If you have a glas roof, you need a way to shield the sun if it is hot. I don´t see a way to achieve that mechanically, a sun shield behind the glas would have to move somewhere (no space I see) or fold (not very elegant). A permanent shield is not an option either, because then the whole idea of a glas roof does not make sense. Which really only leaves smart glas as an option IMHO...

On the mule that I saw charging at Vacaville a few weeks ago, I could see up (from driver's window) through the roof. The horizontal roof part was tinted, just like any roof panel, probably like Model S pano roof which cuts out the IR and makes any solar heat a non issue. Then at what would normally be the front window, it thinned out and became non tinted, just like the band of tint on a front window thins out as it drops to the dashboard. It was not fancy, did not look electrical, did not change when the driver(s) came out and got in the car, which was, of course, charging. Nothing was opaque. I thought it was very normal, low tech, standard solution.

If they make photo electric glass, I hope it's an option, as I personally like to look through glass, even when my car is off and I am outside. I never could understand why people want to close the blinds on all the windows as if they are hiding something. Or maybe they are, what do I know?

I thought it looked way cool with no metal bar across the roof separating the front from the roof.

color matching car paint with electrochromic pigments is difficult to the point of being impossible.
Not only do the colors need to have the same triluminous value in one lighting condition, but a full spectral color match.
And that's just the start. Translucency, (anisotropic - ) specular reflections, iridescencent pigments (changing colors with angle) etc.

I'm more optimistic about going to mars. I was aware that the spacex thing wasn't dynamic

Guess you are right, matching the colors would be the show stopper. Rather just a dark sun roof without color than a mismatched color.

It's a popular thread...
users.png