Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model x or Model 3...decisions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I had to make a similar decision.

We have three kids and currently have a three row SUV that she drives daily, and I have a sedan for my daily driver. I reserved a Model 3 on the first day assuming I would get one, and she would continue to drive her current SUV. However after test driving we felt the Model X was way more special. There is truly nothing out there like it. Plus, it was going to replace her gas guzzling SUV and would be better for road trips.

I'll still end up with a Model 3 (maybe a Model S) in the next year or two. It's by far the best and most exciting car in that class. I don't know why anyone would consider anything else in that price range.

Go for new inventory. That way you get a nice discount, quick delivery, and tax credit. There is also a couple ways to save a couple thousand more. PM me if interested
I went through the same motions earlier this summer.
Ended up going with the X.

Note, I'm in Canada so prices here are different:

- Model 3 AWD in the color I wanted with EAP: $80,000
- Model X 75D in the color I wanted with EAP: $120,000

(Model 3 LR has way more range than the X 75D I was comparing it to. However, that wasn't really an issue and if MR with AWD was available it would likely be what I compared it to)

I sat on the Model 3 and test drove the X. (Test drives for the 3 weren't available yet)

The 3 was nice, REALLY nice. Way nicer than I pictured it so this decision was very difficult to me.
However, in the end, the X is a MUCH larger car. A Highway cruiser, very comfortable and planted.

The 3 was something I would have bought if I didn't have kids. If it was just me and my wife.

In the end, it came down to the 3 not having a heated steering wheel. Can you believe it? $40,000 extra for the damn heated steering wheel.

I don't regret it though. Not one minute.
I had the same exact thought. I'm spending how much for butler doors and a heating steering wheel?! BUT I use my heated steering wheel in lieu of heat very often. Tesla said the 3 will have the heating steering wheel soon but I can't have it then not have it...
I know the X is the choice for me. I've been contemplating it for years. I only considered the 3 because of the price tag but it's just not worth it. Also the X is the best looking car on the road, in my opinion and I would regret not buying it.

• Love
Reactions: Fiddler and P85_DA
Would buy new unless the used is a very recent build with great discount. Most people know of the updated MCU2, AP2.5, etc but tesla has made other small updates.

Eg Our early 2017 X’s original windshield had bad ghosting. After replacement (a rock cracked it) with an updated windshield, ghosting is gone.

Dalesp's thread: My 2016 P90D vs 2018 75D loaner. mentioned Tesla adjusted the body panels: "There are some minor body changes in the mating surface of the Falcon Wing doors. I have some rubbing issues between the door and jamb towards the rear of the vehicle that has cause some paint to wear away"

One of my pet peeves with our X vs our 3: If I used my phone to stop charging and unlock the charge port, it's instantaneous with the 3. I have to wait *gasp* about 10 seconds between stopping charging and unlocking the charge port on the X. Little things like this.

This may bother some people but use a referral code from somebody who will give you the wall charger award. One less thing to buy later.

Model 3 is a run away success. Great range and much lower list price than the X. I think of the 3 as an Urban solution, and the X as a Surburan or family solution.

If you don't need the space, why haul around all the extra mass of the X, but if you need the space, then why try to cram it into the much smaller 3.

If you own a profitable small business, the X becomes much less expensive due to Section 179 total depreciation in the first year. Makes it currently about 1/2 the net cost of the 3.

Reactions: Akishta and Fiddler
We eliminated the 3 nearly immediately when we saw how small they are. We had a bmw 3 series years ago and felt it was the same inside and that was not a fun car to take 4 adults anywhere. Just too tight in the back... So we were set between the S and the X. Decided on the X b/c the S is a little long in the tooth for a software car and felt a refresh is likely around the corner. X also was hard to beat on the space. Went with 7 seat configuration thinking the third row would be a rarely used item for the occasion where we're hauling the kids' friends but we were blown away when we sat a full 6 adults in the car comfortably. We of course put the smaller ladies in the 3rd row but everyone commented that it was a comfortable and easy ride. So bonus points for the unexpected usability of the 3rd row!

I'm gearing up for purchase day. I've had my eye on the Model X since it was released but now with the Model 3 as an option I'm torn. I love the idea of more room but can live with a 5 seater. What are the real nuisances between the two? I've watched all the YouTube videos one can find but want to check all my resources before I commit to one. TIA.
1. Some people love the Model X falcon wing door, some people absolutely hate it. Your preference on this can help you make the decision.

2. If you have more than 2 passengers most of the time in the car, and/or you do a lot of road trip, it maybe best to go with Model X. Coz the backseat in Model 3 isn't great of long distance travel. You are sitting so low in Model 3 backseat that are just not comfortable.

3. If you absolutely need the most range, go with Model 3.

4. Some people just like SUV style car than sedan, for me personally i highly prefer SUV. So it is your personal preference.

So I test drove a friend’s 3 today. The back seat is way too small. I have 2 kids. If it was just me it would be fine. Even to fit an adult back there is questionable.
I then went to tesla to drive the X...again. I’m sold. Now I need to decide if I buy before 11/20 for the tax credit or buy used. I have an overnight test drive tomorrow.

Any words of wisdom?
Go with the 100D instead of 75D if you do a lot of road trip. It would significantly reduce whining and crying from kids while charging at superchargers....

Ordered the 3 on day 1. Couldn't wait. Then I test drove an X. Not smart. Somehow, I was able to do enough mental gymnastics to justify the extra cost. Getting it next week. Can't wait. Also, wife loves to sit a bit higher while driving, thus X is the better choice...

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Ordered the 3 on day 1. Couldn't wait. Then I test drove an X. Not smart. Somehow, I was able to do enough mental gymnastics to justify the extra cost. Getting it next week. Can't wait. Also, wife loves to sit a bit higher while driving, thus X is the better choice...

My fiance actually likes to put her seat to max height when she drives, ive tried it a few times myself. I must say the view improves. But i personally still prefer the low and slow ;)

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
The X is a great family car, especially when hauling a lot of stuff around. It handles pretty good too for what it is and even the performance of the base 75D is exceptional with a sub 5 sec 0-60 and all that instant torque. But we're planning on getting a Model 3 as a second car alongside the X. There are times when the X is overkill, but it's always nice to drive unless parking is tight. If I could only have one car, it would be the X for sure.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and gangzoom
We have both. The x is definitely more comfortable , especially if more than wife and I. Also x much easier to enter and exit.
The 3 more fun to drive, if I’m solo. Also the x cost twice as much as 3, so expect it to be a better car.

Which one are you using more? I'm sure am going to love the handling of the 3, and better range will make road trips easier....BUT our X has free for life supercharging and much more space for the toddeler to chill in. FWDs are also unbeatable for nursery drop offs. So even though the 3 will have more range/fun to drive I suspect our X will still do most miles. For the sake of a 30 mintue stop versus £15-20 for charging fee, I would take the stop, especially with a restless toddler on board.

I do wonder how much we'll use the 3 once we get it, currently the mileage split between the X and Lexus IS which the 3 will replace is about 4:1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peteski and P85_DA
I do wonder how much we'll use the 3 once we get it, currently the mileage split between the X and Lexus IS which the 3 will replace is about 4:1.

I'm thinking the same. Right now my use of the X vs Nissan Qashqai is 100:0! But a Model 3 Performance might spark my interest a little in driving something else. Incidentally my classic Porsche 911 got zero usage this summer too, which says a lot about how fun the X is to drive! It's a pretty remarkable car and easily exceeded my expectations. For the school run FWDs are awesome too, although they do attract a lot of attention at first. But once the novelty wears off and people stop gawping at them, they are actually surprisingly practical.

Which one are you using more? I'm sure am going to love the handling of the 3, and better range will make road trips easier....BUT our X has free for life supercharging and much more space for the toddeler to chill in. FWDs are also unbeatable for nursery drop offs. So even though the 3 will have more range/fun to drive I suspect our X will still do most miles. For the sake of a 30 mintue stop versus £15-20 for charging fee, I would take the stop, especially with a restless toddler on board.

We use the 3 much more for Local trips. It’s much narrower, and San Diego parking lots full of thoughtless fools that don’t mind putting dings in your doors. The x is the go to car if any freeway driving, as easier to see
Over traffic. I think ideally, having both makes sense for us. Our 3 replaced our Lexus LS 430.