Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model x or Model 3...decisions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ruled out the X because I'm not a fan of the falcon wing door. Rational or not, I view it is a repair risk in the future. Also, my teens were embarrassed by the attention. The X also has less range and higher cost - but does have more utility!

So, I purchased an S last year and now added a 3.

All three are very different cars. It really depends on what you like and how much you want to spend. I'm surprised every day how different the S & 3 feel and function.

Isn't this the point where lots of PMs get sent about use my code :) (kidding)

p.s. I'm keeping my old beat up pickup for the utility. Had I gone w/ the X that would be out of here and perhaps purchased a small trailer.

Reactions: CO Proud
The 3 is way more fun to drive than the X, but I do miss the automatic doors. Sometimes I'll hit the brake expecting the door to close.

As most have mentioned, if you need the space go for the X. If you don't, I definitely would consider the 3. I prefer to drive the 3 over the X any chance I get due to the sportier drive, faster screen and phone key.

I ruled out the X because I'm not a fan of the falcon wing door. Rational or not, I view it is a repair risk in the future. Also, my teens were embarrassed by the attention.

I almost did that too, but took the risk and the X has been superb. The kids were indeed embarrassed by the attention grabbing doors at first, but that soon wore off and now they appreciate the utility of them. They haven't even been a reliability issue yet!

Having had a Model S loaner while our X was in for service the other day, I'm glad we chose the X as our main family car. The S was more fun to drive fast, but definitely not quite as practical or spacious inside (mainly due to the lower height rather than legroom). I really missed the panoramic windscreen in the X, but I was surprised how much I missed all the powered doors too.

Model X is way more of a car.

Have X 75. Great vehicle. Holds all sorts of stuff. Great grocery getter.

The different standards in Europe and the US amaze me again and again. To us the Model X is akin to a bus and "grocery getting" with a car that basically needs 2 parking spots here wouldn`t be fun at all :D, also what kind of groceries need a small bus for transport ?

;)

The different standards in Europe and the US amaze me again and again. To us the Model X is akin to a bus and "grocery getting" with a car that basically needs 2 parking spots here wouldn`t be fun at all :D, also what kind of groceries need a small bus for transport ?

;)

I know what you mean, but there are plenty of other Euro vehicles in the same size range as the Model X e.g. Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne, Volvo XC 90, Range Rover, BMW X5 and there is no shortage of any of those pottering around towns and cities! The X is very wide though I have to say, even compared to some of those.

;)

A Grocery getter here in the states means much more than food. It means hauling boxes of books or furniture for a friends. I did this for my daughter and her move last month. We put a mattress (rolled up), bed frame, books, pots/pans, etc in the X. Then there is the whole taking 5 or 6 kids to soccer (football) issue.

Seem there is always something to haul. And the whole concept of getting a moving company (or man in a white van) is not part of the American ethos. Probably explains a bit of the American fascination with large SUVs and Pickup trucks. Of course, our obsession with stuff helps explains that also, and the big houses. :D

Reactions: gangzoom and P85_DA
I'll offer a counterpoint here, I switched from an S to an X and one of the unseen downsides of the X is how obnoxious the Falcon Wing Doors are when you're out shopping or anywhere really. I love the doors and think they're awesome, but I'm kind of a shy person in general and just feel like a total douche having these space doors open up in the Target parking lot just trying to get my kid out of the back seat.

It's definitely a great car though. Would consider getting a 3 in the future when kid is a little older.

Reactions: P85_DA
We have an X and love it. I recently asked my wife if she wanted to swap for a performance model 3 and she had no interest. Other than price and handling improvements and efficiency I feel the X is better in every way. I have a friend with model 3 so I’ve driven also. The efficiency is a very minor issue, I charge on solar and superchargers are plentiful.

I will disagree on the MCU1 vs MCU2 difference being noticeable. If you have to run a diagnostic or compare side to side to know which one you have, it isn’t noticeable. Would I prefer to have MCU2? Sure. Would I pay more than a $500 premium if I was looking for used? Nope. You rarely touch the screen, I’m pretty sure the fractions of a second in speed difference a day won’t negatively affect anyone’s life.