Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X P100D: Supercharging problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Tesla for almost 2 years. Starting last month I started having problems with the car not allowing the plug to be inserted even though the car is on, door open and I have the key in my hand. Eventually it does work either by opening another door or using the display. Other times, it inserts correctly but there is no light... so it does not charge. Last, sometimes it charges but the only way to release it when complete is via the display. I took it to Devon Tesla last week and they reported that nothing was wrong. Any idea what could cause this? They also mentioned that via the microphone I can create a timestamp to help them diagnose the issue. Can anyone explain how to do this since what I have tried has not work. I also installed new key fob batteries but this may no difference. thanks

I haven't had the issue with supercharging but my HPWC at my office does not want to let go of my X when I hit the button to release. I hit the button, it goes blue, I hear a click at the HPWC but then it clicks back to green. It is only after repeated button presses that the light goes white/light blue.

I haven't had the issue with supercharging but my HPWC at my office does not want to let go of my X when I hit the button to release. I hit the button, it goes blue, I hear a click at the HPWC but then it clicks back to green. It is only after repeated button presses that the light goes white/light blue.
Some people say they don't have this problem, but I and MANY others always experience exactly that. If you press and release the button, I have found the port will almost always immediately re-lock onto the charging cable. Press and release doesn't ever seem to work for me. But it's not a big deal. Just press and HOLD the button, and it will stay unlocked as you pull the plug out.

It is unclear whether your car is unlocked when you try to remove the handle. The car MUST be unlocked, not just the fob present.

Some people say they don't have this problem, but I and MANY others always experience exactly that. If you press and release the button, I have found the port will almost always immediately re-lock onto the charging cable. Press and release doesn't ever seem to work for me. But it's not a big deal. Just press and HOLD the button, and it will stay unlocked as you pull the plug out.

This has now been working for me.

My car does the same thing with the mobile charger, but only if it is still charging. If the charge cycle has completed, one click and the light goes whitish blue and the lock disengages.

In my limited experience (since I schedule charging), I can release the connector handle with a quick press and release as long as the car is not drawing any power through it. That's most of the time for me. I have to long(er) press if the car is charging or is using "shore" power for climate while a door is open. A short press in the latter case just quickly returns to green and stays locked.