Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Plaid brakes question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We can confirm the front rotor is 15mm larger than S Plaid and ~2 lbs heavier, but the caliper and pad remain the same as Plaid S so is the rear brake.

X Plaid Front Rotor - 395x32mm
2690-oe_wt.PNG

S Plaid Front Rotor - 380x32mm
2679-oe-front.jpg

Model X is 474 lbs heavier than S, with passengers (6) fully loaded the X would be ~850 lbs heavier, so a brake enhancement that can handle the potentially required braking capacity such as Jeep Trackhawk is the way to go.

A brake thread for Model X Plaid just started here for your info.

Last edited:
Reactions: FloridaSun
Plaid's brake dust.
brake%20dust.JPG

RB XT910 low dust and no squeak street pad for X Plaid.

The pad size difference you can see (RB vs. OE).

plaid%20pad%20compare.JPG

Advantage of RB pads:
  • Larger friction area than OE providing more torque with the same hydraulic pressure.
  • Lining are made w/2 slots to evacuate brake derbies for cleaner braking surfaces & better efficiency.
  • Brake pads are made to work with "rotor" & "caliper" together as a system to assure each component fits and performs better than OE and other aftermarket suppliers.

Reactions: FloridaSun
Non scientific reply from a X plaid refresh owner: car is so ridiculously powerful that the brakes do feel under ‘powered/not brakey enough’. Not a show stopper but they don’t feel to be in line with the sheer power of the car.
Your comment agreed to our brake development experience on High Horsepower SUV among them the only model that's "close" to X Plaid is Jeep Trackhawk (see comparison below).

Tesla%20x%20Plaid%20brake%20analysis.PNG

Trakhawk has less HP and lighter than X, but conversely it has 6 pot calipers with larger & thicker rotor and pad (especially on front) and has a much more substantial brakes than X Plaid for sure.

Non scientific reply from a X plaid refresh owner: car is so ridiculously powerful that the brakes do feel under ‘powered/not brakey enough’. Not a show stopper but they don’t feel to be in line with the sheer power of the car.
I agree with your theory; I have had the X Plaid for a month now and the brakes are the only disappointment. They seem to stop the car reasonably well, but I don't like the feel (not firm enough; some play at the start), and they also don't give me enough confidence when I am pushing it somewhat hard through the canyons. For reference, my model 3 performance has amazing brake feel and stopping power, but it also has less than half the power of the Plaid X.

I think a pad upgrade with MP's brace should help -- for starters.

I think RB makes great products, but trying to sell a $17000 ceramic big brake kit claiming to "stop better" is disingenuous. The factory brakes are fully capable of engaging ABS with the crappy stock tires. A majority of people would be better served buying better tires.

Reactions: bhzmark and EbS-P
In theory. The Model S ceramic upgrade will work on the MXP, right? With appropriately sized wheels, it should work!

In theory. The Model S ceramic upgrade will work on the MXP, right? With appropriately sized wheels, it should work!
Not quite - The spindles are different between S Plaid and X Plaid.

Any one from S or X Plaid order Tesla CCB kit and got installed ?

Reactions: DelPhonic1
I agree with your theory; I have had the X Plaid for a month now and the brakes are the only disappointment. They seem to stop the car reasonably well, but I don't like the feel (not firm enough; some play at the start), and they also don't give me enough confidence when I am pushing it somewhat hard through the canyons. For reference, my model 3 performance has amazing brake feel and stopping power, but it also has less than half the power of the Plaid X.

I think a pad upgrade with MP's brace should help -- for starters.
The first X Plaid brake upgrade review is out.

I ran my Model X Plaid at the drag strip and trapped over 144 mph and had no issues slowing down at the end of the track. I could have made the first exit at the end of the track which isn't really meant for 9 second cars. So, I don't see the need to upgrade. I read so many horror stories on how bad the brakes are. However, I do think that they are adequate unless you plan on road racing.

I ran my Model X Plaid at the drag strip and trapped over 144 mph and had no issues slowing down at the end of the track. I could have made the first exit at the end of the track which isn't really meant for 9 second cars. So, I don't see the need to upgrade. I read so many horror stories on how bad the brakes are. However, I do think that they are adequate unless you plan on road racing.
The brakes are plenty fine on the street. On an actual race track, i.e. not repeated stops on city streets, I don't think the stock pads are sufficient. I'd spend money on brake fluid, brake pads, tires, larger rotors and better calipers (iron). In that order.

The brakes are plenty fine on the street. On an actual race track, i.e. not repeated stops on city streets, I don't think the stock pads are sufficient. I'd spend money on brake fluid, brake pads, tires, larger rotors and better calipers (iron). In that order.
Absolutely, for road racing, an upgrade is needed. Would be dangerous to run the stock brakes on the track (road course). I personally can't see any situation on the street where they would not be sufficient. I only see an issue if there was repeated hard braking in a short time, overheating the brakes. I have zero concern using them on the street or at the Drag Strip. I fell for all the "fear" posts on how bad the brakes are. They are NOT bad unless you road race.

Absolutely, for road racing, an upgrade is needed. Would be dangerous to run the stock brakes on the track (road course). I personally can't see any situation on the street where they would not be sufficient. I only see an issue if there was repeated hard braking in a short time, overheating the brakes. I have zero concern using them on the street or at the Drag Strip. I fell for all the "fear" posts on how bad the brakes are. They are NOT bad unless you road race.

It also likely doesn't help that people never use their brakes with regen.