Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New X Plaid Poor Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new X Plaid seems slow. There isn't any of that neck snapping torque and acceleration I expect. I've driven an 18 ludicrous X in past and I'm not even sure I'm getting that level of performance. I'm certainly nowhere near my 21 S Plaid.

Is there some sort of break-in or trainer mode that these start out with? Different power limit with SOC vs my older car?? Just perception?

Not sure if this is still a setting but turn off object aware acceleration. I found that a terrible feature as when pulling out quickly to avoid getting whacked in the rear, it would kick in even if nothing was in front of me.

And slowed me down on initial acceleration. Almost like a dirty fuel line in an ICE vehicle.

I found it and disabled. I will need to A/B test this to see if it was what was messing things up. Thanks!

Someone needs to test the 2021 vs 2023/2024 head on with same tires and battery level. You're the 2nd who's complaining though in a different way, since the 1st complaint is much more subtle and could be due to tire difference and conditioning on the track and this was '21 S vs a '23 S so more apples to apples, the X is much heavier.

I can't add anything of value to this discussion besides sharing this as I never drove a '21 or '22 MSP or MXP but have the late 2023 MXP and while I did not get any neck snaps, it feels scary fast.

Someone needs to test the 2021 vs 2023/2024 head on with same tires and battery level. You're the 2nd who's complaining though in a different way, since the 1st complaint is much more subtle and could be due to tire difference and conditioning on the track and this was '21 S vs a '23 S so more apples to apples, the X is much heavier.

I can't add anything of value to this discussion besides sharing this as I never drove a '21 or '22 MSP or MXP but have the late 2023 MXP and while I did not get any neck snaps, it feels scary fast.

My 21 S has stock wheels w/ winter tires and I also have Rohanas with Michelins... all stock size 21".

My 23 X has stock 20" w/ stock Continental Crosscontact

In my case, I feel like I would be overjoyed with those numbers in my X. I'm thinking I'd be lucky to get into 10s with performance I'm "feeling".

I have been running under 60% SOC generally when I speak about lack of performance. I have done zero testing with different SOC or weather. I just got the thing and made a few blasts where I was like "wtf was that!!!???".

The continentals suck. Could be the tire. Maybe you can try to find a test drive-able 22-inch MXP somewhere. These numbers were on 23'S though. The op complained about lagging behind the '21 S (9.6 vs 9.4s 1/4 mile). Who knows, maybe Tesla nerfed something, so many people complain about virbations.

You lose power as voltage drops. 60% is far from peak performance. Test again at 90-100% SoC. The Continentals don't suck nor are they causing this.

Yeah, tires would only be responsible if they were slipping on pavement, slipping on the rims, or litterally sidewals flexing to the point of failure.

Is there a graph that anybody has done that shows a relative SOC vs power output curve?

The thread you posted had a person with a Plaid S run 9.4 with 21s in cold weather. That's about as good as you can ask for with those tires/weather combo.

Reactions: Crued
My new X Plaid seems slow. There isn't any of that neck snapping torque and acceleration I expect. I've driven an 18 ludicrous X in past and I'm not even sure I'm getting that level of performance. I'm certainly nowhere near my 21 S Plaid.

Is there some sort of break-in or trainer mode that these start out with? Different power limit with SOC vs my older car?? Just perception?
i know this sounds silly, but are you in plaid mode? lol my 2023 plaid x does 0-115 in 6.5 seconds on the continentals.

You lose power as voltage drops. 60% is far from peak performance. Test again at 90-100% SoC. The Continentals don't suck nor are they causing this.
Correct I recall reading somewhere you lose about 0.1 (probably not a linear curve) per 10% drop in SOC. Like 9.2 vs 9.9 1/4 mile on a Model S Plaid at 90% vs 20%. MXP probably behaves similarly with slightly worse timings. Charge it to 95% and report back.

Last edited: